Informations which are not mine ( IP adress )

Aforek

Hello

from this information http://tech.thaivisa.com/i-know-what-you-download-scary-spy-website-reveals-everything-you-and-your-friends-have-torrented/19131/?utm_source=tech-newsletter-20170103-1922&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

I have heard that this site knows what we have downloaded ; I use a VPN ( I live in Thailand and I choosed an adress in Europe ) ; out of curiosity   I looked what they

found with my IP VPN adress; many torrent downloads, but nothing to do with me , I don't know who downloaded ; so, where do these informations come from ?

can you explain to me how VPN work ? I seem to have always the same IP adress from my VPN, how do they find downloads which are not mine ?

The main point of these VPN/proxy services is that your visible IP address is shared by many other VPN users, thus making it difficult to say who did what with any degree of certainty. Imagine someone monitoring deliveries at the front door of a condo building: just because someone arrives with a bag labelled "cocaine" doesnt mean that you ordered it or that it finally ended up in your apartment and up your nose, or even that the bag contained anything other than talcum powder.
Another feature of such services is that they can make you appear to be where you are not, which may be helpful for accessing some websites that are in some way restricted to certain territories, or blocked wherever you really are.

This is somewhat different to the traditional concept of a VPN which is to provide a secure link to a private network somewhere via a public internet connection, usually for business/work purposes.

Even without the use of a VPN this would be meaningless for the vast majority of subscribers since their ISP issues them with a dynamic public IP address which means it changes regularly (every 24 hours in my case).

Additionally, many Thai ISP's are now using Carrier Grade NAT which means that your public IPv4 address is shared by other subscribers simultaneously.

7 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Another feature of such services is that they can make you appear to be where you are not, which may be helpful for accessing some websites that are in some way restricted to certain territories, or blocked wherever you really are.

That's why I have a vpn; for the visible  IP adress shared by other people, they can't prove anything and nothing shows it was me who download something

I was just surprised , but now, thanks to you, I understand better