Life for an iPhone: Man stabbed to death in Lat Phrao robbery

snoop1130

Life for an iPhone: Man stabbed to death in Lat Phrao robbery

By Coconuts Bangkok

header_-_iphone_robbery.jpg

Police are tracking down two assailants who killed a 26-year-old man in an iPhone robbery in Lat Phrao district.

The victim, Wasin Leungjam, was found dead in Soi Sukhonthasawat 27 last night. CCTV footage showed that he was attacked by two men who approached him on a motorcycle. Wasin fought back, leading one of the men to stab him in the neck and Wasin fell to the ground.

It is reported only his iPhone was missing while his wallet and THB1,000 cash were intact.

Full Story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2017/01/05/life-iphone-man-stabbed-death-lat-phrao-robbery

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-1-5

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robbers killed a student for his iPhone

Student.jpg

Police have launched a manhunt for two robbers who killed a university student before snatching his iPhone.

The robbery took place in Soi Sukhonthasawat 27 at about 11 pm on Wednesday night. The victim is reported to be a student of Srinakharinwirot University.

Video footage at the crime scene which was examined by the police shows the two suspected robbers in the act of robbing their victim whose name was withheld by the police.

Full Story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/robbers-killed-student-iphone/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-1-5

Whatever the motive, this is violent in the extreme and inexcusable. Being under the influence of drugs, alcohol, suffering from a mental disorder or, worse, if the perpetrator knew the victim and planned the attack due to a previous altercation - none of these should diminish the consequences for the offender once caught.

Most sincere condolences to the victim's family and friends. Tragic. Let's hope that justice will prevail. No sarcasm intended. This act is too serious to warrant us posters being sarcastic or flippant in that regard. I know: it's not the first time for such to happen in Thailand. Yadda yadda. But c'mon. For this family's sake, let's hope justice will be served.

This society needs to re-examine the "Thainess" that they were once proud of. It might as well start with education. Education by parents at home and also by teachers at school.

These days parents are too busy working and it seems "materialism" has replaced "Thainess" as its central theme of life.A globalized competitive environment has really accentuated the class difference in the society between haves and have-nots. Sad reality of today!

Police point to iPhone theft in brutal murder
By THE NATION

dc655ea6a3151a167ab1776d4cc66544.jpeg

A CCTV recording shows Wasin Luangjame, right, scuffling with his attacker before being stabbed.

BANGKOK: -- AN ONGOING police investigation suggests that a young man was stabbed to death simply because his attackers wanted his iPhone. Wasin Luangjame, 26, was killed during a scuffle with a knife-wielding man late Wednesday night.

Arrest warrants for the culprits have been issued based on images from CCTV recordings. 

“At this point, it is quite clear that the killer wanted his asset [the phone],” Metropolitan Police Commissioner Lt-General Sanit Mahathavorn said yesterday. 

He added that Wasin’s family and friends say he did not have any personal conflicts with anyone. 

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30303525

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-01-06

And just a few months back, a young cook just finishing his shift at S&P was sitting on the steps in full view at Shinawatra 2, using his iPad. He was attacked by two guys wanting to steal his iPad, he resisted and he was stabbed to death. 

I think if this happens to me, I will just hand it over with a smile and a wai. 

9 hours ago, Jimbo1964 said:

Thailand used to be a very safe country to live in. Now it's getting crazy. Killing someone for a phone. RIP

They are just following the cultural example set by the little general...you want something, take it; government or an iPhone, same-same.

I could never just hand my phone over to some scumbag, just because he wants it...

Whatever happens .. happens... at least I wont live my life as a spineless coward... now that is a sad way to die!

Kudos to the kid who stood up for himself... and... RIP

12 hours ago, JerryinTH said:

Society is at an all time low. 

If this is an example of an all time low......that means society was never as bad as this up until now.

Looking back over past and recent history with all that goes on in the world (including blowing babies and adults to bits in present conflicts)..... I think that would be a blessing.

6 minutes ago, thhMan said:

I could never just hand my phone over to some scumbag, just because he wants it...

Whatever happens .. happens... at least I wont live my life as a spineless coward... now that is a sad way to die!

Hand over my iphone or get stabbed to death. let me think about that for a moment...

Sad for the loss of life for young man.

To be safe, keep the phone locked with passcode, and just give away to the sealers. I hope Apple have lot of security to find and get back the phone.

It should be a default feature of the phone to get it back when it is lost, and the find owners. We are living in 21st century with so many mobile networks and connectivity.

Every apple product I have owned or now do own had or has a password. I'm pretty sure all apple products like phones and iPads are worthless without knowing the password or esp after being reported stolen to apple or whoever.  Just hand it over and empty your pockets. Money and especially electronic products are most certainly not worth getting a serious beating for and especially not for dying.

God some posters giving it the John Wayne on here today.  

Really you would rather die than hand over a fri##in iPhone?!!

Edited by goldenbrwn1

55 minutes ago, biker Bob said:

I really hope they catch the scumbags who did this.   RIP

I really hope that posters will one day read the threads before posting.

The answer is already in the post just three above this one, posted over an hour previously.

10 minutes ago, Canceraid said:

Look at the tatoos on his body. I think that Thailand should adopt Duterte's (Philippines) measures with extrajudicial killings. All these thai and foreign scum should just be assassinated on the streets.

yesssss, good idea, anyone with tattoos should be extrajudicially killed by anyone who doesn't like them because of tattoos or something else that you don't like. please feel free to post your list of personal things on people other than yourself that you don't like.

wow, back on the medication for you

25 minutes ago, thhMan said:

Fair enough. However in essence you're saying your phone is more important than your life.

I don't think you'd be a coward if you handed over your phone to someone that wanted to kill you for it.

We cant ask the guy that got killed if he wished he had handed his over.

Drugs  and Bad  weconomy.  Thailand  has  both,  and the media  does  not  like to publish these

facts.     Not everyone in Thailand can even afford an I phone  or even a fancy Samsung product.

If  you have one  of  these  just be  careful!  RIP to the poor fellow who died because of owning

a phone. LOS  is  not  what  it  used to be,  but  then  neither is most other parts of the world

Geezer

12 minutes ago, Canceraid said:

Look at the tatoos on his body. I think that Thailand should adopt Duterte's (Philippines) measures with extrajudicial killings. All these thai and foreign scum should just be assassinated on the streets.

I do wonder at the thought process, or lack thereof, that some posters put into their brain f*rts before posting.

And I do wish that such posts would be simply deleted forthwith, in the same way that the posters call for human lives to be ended.

26 minutes ago, Canceraid said:

NO. Convict him in court, then kill him...  (Should someone die because of his Tattoos)? It is that very knee jerk reaction that is putting our globe in the sad state of affairs we are headed to now. Society should be better than that!

Give him his due process first. Establish his guilt first in a court of law. Duterte considers any innocent killed as "collateral damage". Let's hope that the "collateral Damage" is not someone close to you. 

Edited by themorn2112
Additional comment added.

I recently had a niece who had her iPhone 6S stolen in New York City. She used the feature called "Find my phone." If the phone is turned on it will be found by GPS coordinates to a very precise location and it was. The location was Brooklyn. She then remotely wiped out all data. She then remotely "bricked" the phone making it impossible for anyone to use. She then notified NYPD. They weren't interested in following up on the theft. Probably low priority which is understandable. She then bought an iPhone 7 but this time bought the insurance which would cover theft. Unfortunately, I don't know if these features are available in Thailand. I carry the same model of iPhone in Thailand and would give it up in a moment to save my own life but I can understand one fighting to keep such a valuable possession. 

3 minutes ago, thaigirlwatcher said:

I recently had a niece who had her iPhone 6S stolen in New York City. She used the feature called "Find my phone." If the phone is turned on it will be found by GPS coordinates to a very precise location and it was. The location was Brooklyn. She then remotely wiped out all data. She then remotely "bricked" the phone making it impossible for anyone to use. She then notified NYPD. They weren't interested in following up on the theft. Probably low priority which is understandable. She then bought an iPhone 7 but this time bought the insurance which would cover theft. Unfortunately, I don't know if these features are available in Thailand. I carry the same model of iPhone in Thailand and would give it up in a moment to save my own life but I can understand one fighting to keep such a valuable possession. 

It's not so much principle, it is more of enabling. To give in easily is to signal that people with valuables are easy targets. Anyone that steals from me will have to "work" for it, which in turn can be a form  of deterrent. you are not likely to attack a bee because of her stinger, which in turn makes it less like that a hive will be attacked for its honey. 

On 1/6/2017 at 9:15 AM, thaigirlwatcher said:

Yes, they are an Apple function and works worldwide.

The iPhone does have to have an internet connection.

Edited by metisdead
Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes.

once it's on icloud lock, it's over.

they can still sell it for 1-2000 baht since the person will change the logic board and re-sell the phone, but i've heard the phone won't look or act the same.  no idea.