Dementia and Proximity to a Congested Main Road

It could be mainly due to pollution. Keeping windows closed at all times would prevent any pollution from entering. If that is done, what are the ways to ensure a regular supply of clean air?

Maybe having indoor plants (live ones, not fake) can help with increasing oxygen levels.

How about air filters / ionizers?

Most air conditioners only circulate air, not take new air from the outside. Are there any that do take air from the outside and filter it?

31 minutes ago, hyperdimension said:

It could be mainly due to pollution. Keeping windows closed at all times would prevent any pollution from entering. If that is done, what are the ways to ensure a regular supply of clean air?

Maybe having indoor plants (live ones, not fake) can help with increasing oxygen levels.

How about air filters / ionizers?

Most air conditioners only circulate air, not take new air from the outside. Are there any that do take air from the outside and filter it?

So you end up living in a hotel or serviced apartment?

Most pre-2000 condo units are larger with generous balcony space and are located a few hundred metres inside sois. You don't need to breathe air-con air 24/7.

Add: Living plants take in oxygen and give out CO2 in the dark.

10 minutes ago, trogers said:

located a few hundred metres inside sois.

Even at a few hundred metres from a main road there could be significant pollution, depending on what main road. Many people don't mind breathing air from an air conditioner all day (that's what they do at work in an office, or when out shopping in a mall). It would be unhealthy though if the air conditioner simply recirculates stale air. An air conditioner that takes fresh air from outside and filters it could be a good solution.

11 minutes ago, hyperdimension said:

Even at a few hundred metres from a main road there could be significant pollution, depending on what main road. Many people don't mind breathing air from an air conditioner all day (that's what they do at work in an office, or when out shopping in a mall). It would be unhealthy though if the air conditioner simply recirculates stale air. An air conditioner that takes fresh air from outside and filters it could be a good solution.

Spilt type air-con units have no fresh air intake. Only the old window units and central air-con systems do.

Most fresh air that gets into the condo units are from leakages of the sliding windows and doors.

Whether the location of the building suffers from significant pollution can be readily checked. Look at the trunks of 10-year old or more trees at the sidewalks and see the amount of soot cover.

56 minutes ago, trogers said:

Spilt type air-con units have no fresh air intake. Only the old window units and central air-con systems do.

Most fresh air that gets into the condo units are from leakages of the sliding windows and doors.

I've never heard THAT before!

Patrick

1 hour ago, trogers said:

Whether the location of the building suffers from significant pollution can be readily checked. Look at the trunks of 10-year old or more trees at the sidewalks and see the amount of soot cover.

32 minutes ago, p_brownstone said:

I've never heard THAT before!

Patrick

The sound of wind through your doors and windows indicates the leakage.

14 minutes ago, colinneil said:

I am not sure that living near main roads is a serious cause of dementia.

My wife says i am a demented old b......rd, and we live inland not near a main road  :cheesy:

:sorry:

There are other causes for dementia, and sometimes it's a lifestyle choice...for obvious reason.

On 1/6/2017 at 4:05 AM, trogers said:

Condominium developers seem to have thought greatly about their target market's lifestyle and have tailored designs accordingly for maximum comfort and convenience.

But many conveniently-located condominiums (that are priced accordingly) are in places that have high air pollution.

If even luxurious units have high-end split-type air conditioners, residents would still be breathing stale air a lot of the time.

How do developers expect residents to get clean and fresh air in their units? Have they overlooked things related to the basic necessity of air?

4 hours ago, hyperdimension said:

Condominium developers seem to have thought greatly about their target market's lifestyle and have tailored designs accordingly for maximum comfort and convenience.

But many conveniently-located condominiums (that are priced accordingly) are in places that have high air pollution.

If even luxurious units have high-end split-type air conditioners, residents would still be breathing stale air a lot of the time.

How do developers expect residents to get clean and fresh air in their units? Have they overlooked things related to the basic necessity of air?

They believe in their brochures, with the fresh air of the Alps...and so do their buyers...??

Until occupants moved in and experience the constant drone and air pollution of traffic...

On 06/01/2017 at 11:45 AM, hyperdimension said:

What do those who live on Sathorn Road do?

Pollution levels do not seem to have any effect on real estate prices, do they?

I was in Bangkok the other day, walking down the far end of Sukumvit 20 which is quite a long way from dense traffic. The whole road was black with encrusted filth that can only have come from the air or from vehicles. Maybe if you are up on the 50th floor the air is clearer.

But on my high-rise Jomtien balcony from which I can easily see the sea there is often a fairly thick deposit of nasty black dust, depending on which way the wind is blowing. If I left my windows and doors open all that black crap would be inside my condo and, presumably, inside my lungs.

As for property prices, I dont think that many buyers here think about things like pollution.

2 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I was in Bangkok the other day, walking down the far end of Sukumvit 20 which is quite a long way from dense traffic. The whole road was black with encrusted filth that can only have come from the air or from vehicles. Maybe if you are up on the 50th floor the air is clearer.

But on my high-rise Jomtien balcony from which I can easily see the sea there is often a fairly thick deposit of nasty black dust, depending on which way the wind is blowing. If I left my windows and doors open all that black crap would be inside my condo and, presumably, inside my lungs.

As for property prices, I dont think that many buyers here think about things like pollution.

I think the far end of Sukhumvit 20 receive the product of the constant traffic jams at Klong Toey market, carried by southerly winds...

6 hours ago, trogers said:

I think the far end of Sukhumvit 20 receive the product of the constant traffic jams at Klong Toey market, carried by southerly winds...

My knowledge of Bangkok is minimal, so that may be the case. But I walked down from Sukumvit and the middle and top of the soi were very dark underfoot also. In fact everywhere I've walked in Bangkok seems to have a layer of black on it, apart from where it has recently been power-cleaned.

My point was that there is probably nowhere in Bangkok that doesnt have a fairly high level of airborne nastiness, as I also get it near the beach in Jomtien. Maybe on a very high floor you can rise above it.

12 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

My knowledge of Bangkok is minimal, so that may be the case. But I walked down from Sukumvit and the middle and top of the soi were very dark underfoot also. In fact everywhere I've walked in Bangkok seems to have a layer of black on it, apart from where it has recently been power-cleaned.

My point was that there is probably nowhere in Bangkok that doesnt have a fairly high level of airborne nastiness, as I also get it near the beach in Jomtien. Maybe on a very high floor you can rise above it.

Blacken roads and footpaths are probably due to floods or stagnation of rainwater rather than normal air pollution.

Soot covering barks of trees would be a better indication on the level of air pollution.

I was just wondering whether dementia could also have been caused by not having enough oxygen over a long term.

If windows are kept closed at all times (to prevent pollution from entering), then occupants would be breathing their own stale air most of the time. I think most people don't realize that air from a split-type air conditioner is recirculated stale air (they may wrongly believe that cool air is clean and fresh air). Oxygen levels in stale air may be low because their bodies have taken it via the lungs, and high in carbon dioxide because their lungs have breathed it out as waste product.

Low oxygen levels can have a stupefying effect (you can watch some documentaries about climbing Mount Everest to see the effect). Imagine what constant low oxygen levels would do to a child over the course of their childhood - would their brain and mind have become optimally developed once they reach adulthood?

2 hours ago, hyperdimension said:

I was just wondering whether dementia could also have been caused by not having enough oxygen over a long term.

If windows are kept closed at all times (to prevent pollution from entering), then occupants would be breathing their own stale air most of the time. I think most people don't realize that air from a split-type air conditioner is recirculated stale air (they may wrongly believe that cool air is clean and fresh air). Oxygen levels in stale air may be low because their bodies have taken it via the lungs, and high in carbon dioxide because their lungs have breathed it out as waste product.

Low oxygen levels can have a stupefying effect (you can watch some documentaries about climbing Mount Everest to see the effect). Imagine what constant low oxygen levels would do to a child over the course of their childhood - would their brain and mind have become optimally developed once they reach adulthood?

Perhaps the Japanese are taught on this point since young. I see most of my clients sleep with windows opened and ceiling fan on, without their air-con.

Archived