Transfering Money from USA to Thailand without Cellphone OTP

NCC1701A

20 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

A five minute chore once a year if you actually have to file (having foreign account balance over 10k at any time) and really nothing to do with subject under discussion.  

I never said how long it took just that it was required.  You didn't need to be redundant and post the amount in question as I had already specified it and if it was so far off topic not sure why you felt compelled to elaborate at all.  When a commenter claimed he transferred amounts approaching the threshold it became relevant to other posters who are not even familiar how to transfer funds from the States to LOS as they might follow suit and violate a law unknowingly.  Threads can take many twists and turns without your permission.  Or didn't you know that also? 

10 hours ago, siamike said:

I've been making monthly $$ transfers for the last 3 years from my USAA Bank account to my Bangkok Bank account via the ACH system already mentioned in this thread.  USAA bank does not require a OTP for $$ transfers, and you can open an account with them via the internet, as I did, and never step into one of their brick and mortar buildings.  

It's important to remember that one can only set up a USAA account if one has some affiliation with the U.S. armed forces, for example, on active duty, separated veteran, retired, etc. or the family of a USAA member.

It's certainly worth the time to check their website or give them a call to see if one can become a member since they reimburse "foreign" (non-USAA) ATM surcharges up to USD 15 per month and only impose the VISA or Mastercard 1% network foreign currency conversion fee for non-U.S. ATM withdrawals.

It's also a good idea to ensure that one understands the limitations of USAA's international wire transfer services - it's not as sophisticated as, for example, Bank of America's international wire transfer service or Citibank's Global Transfers, both of which can be done from their online (web-based) banking portals with no paperwork required.

9 hours ago, gentlemanjackdarby said:

It's important to remember that one can only set up a USAA account if one has some affiliation with the U.S. armed forces, for example, on active duty, separated veteran, retired, etc. or the family of a USAA member.

It's certainly worth the time to check their website or give them a call to see if one can become a member since they reimburse "foreign" (non-USAA) ATM surcharges up to USD 15 per month and only impose the VISA or Mastercard 1% network foreign currency conversion fee for non-U.S. ATM withdrawals.

It's also a good idea to ensure that one understands the limitations of USAA's international wire transfer services - it's not as sophisticated as, for example, Bank of America's international wire transfer service or Citibank's Global Transfers, both of which can be done from their online (web-based) banking portals with no paperwork required.

I've been with USAA for some 35 years.  Lately, their customer service has been really bad.  I've had several issues over the past year and it's been a nightmare to deal with them.  If everything works OK, then you are fine.  If a problem crops us, good luck.

Unfortunately I have to agree with craigt3365  .   USAA Savings Bank has been on a downward spiral for several years now.

They recently sent me a new "chipped" ATM card which I activated online but then they stated that card had been cancelled yet could not explain how I was able to activate it if it had been cancelled.  What they finally did was to "suspend" the card until I return to the US and then I can re-activate the cancelled card :shock1:

The real beginning of the end,  IMHO,  was when they initiated the- must- have- a- text- enabled- cell- phone requirement which was initially limited to just adding accounts to your transfer menu.  It has now morphed into being the primary way to verify your identity in many cases

These changes are primarily a result of their increased emphasis on getting new members, not serving those that they already have.  In fact,  noticed yesterday that many of the banner ads here at TV, are for USAA 

One very frustrating part of USAA is how they deal with addresses.  There's a limit to the address line.  I think 26 characters, and only 2 lines.  As we know, addresses can be quite long here.  I've struggled with this for years.  Finally got one that works, but have had many letters go missing due to this.

12 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

I've been with USAA for some 35 years.  Lately, their customer service has been really bad.  I've had several issues over the past year and it's been a nightmare to deal with them.  If everything works OK, then you are fine.  If a problem crops us, good luck.

Yes, that's been my experience as well, although I've only been a member for a couple of years.

I plan to have a couple of backups in addition to USAA - Definitely Citibank because there is nothing that beats their Global Transfers service and, unlike HSBC, one can avail of the service without having a large "total relationship balance"

The only thing that makes USAA very appealing is the fact that they only impose the 1% VISA / Mastercard network fee on foreign currency conversions and they rebate USD 15 per month in "foreign" ATM surcharges - not as good as Schwab Bank, but every little bit helps