IRC Tyres IZS Sport S-99 any good.

jethro69

Sooner or later, I'll be in need of a new set of tyres for the CBR300R. The original set of IRC's I dumped after the first 100 Km, as they were horrible, although you can't say much 'bout a new tyre. I got Michelin Street Pilots Radial right now, but still not too much impressed.

I was considering a set of IRC IZ-003 which is a racing tyre designed for the track, the mechanic in town has fittet them, and he's happy with them. There was also a TV-member who hat fittet them, and he was more than happy, I can't find the thread back.

Today, I found another set of IRC's on Lazada just by chance, IRC IZ-S 99, just wonder if anyone heard before of those. The IRC website seems to be down.

2 hours ago, bobbin said:

Why weren't you too impressed with the Michelin Street Pilot radials?

That's what I switched to on mine, though a friend opted for the price-equivalent Pirelli tires.

It might be just the Thai road conditions, but I found the bike to slip away a lot, when aproaching crossings, or slow down before sharp turns (I ride in the north, and hate the higways, so you might get a picture). I found the Michelin very good in heavy rain, when going straight at high speed. In the turns I just don't trust them.

I was looking for Pirellis, but they didn't have the rear in stock, thus I ended up with the Michelin.

Last time I was in need for tyres very fast, now I got some time, and would like to see "all" options.

The Michelins are an improvement for sure, but there might be just something better out there, even if they don't last so long.

For another option - I bought some 17's for my CRF, and they came with Quick brand tires. Never heard of them - search found them to be made by a subsidiary of Michelin. I also live in the North and travel 90% secondary roads. Grip good - but was warned when picking them up that they are soft so not long life. Not much chance to check out wet weather performance, but the guy at the Honda shop I bought the CRF from has a set on his, he races Super Motard most every weekend, and likes them.

Lots of people think that IRC makes bad tires, this mostly because they supply most budget 150 to 350cc motorcycles made in Thailand with tires. Stock tires for motorcycle manufacturers are a compromise between cost, durability and performance (most of the time performance is the one that gets the less attention).

I had in the past a few experiences with IRC tires, and could not find anything wrong with it, sure if my name was Valentino Rossi and could ride a motorcycle like he does I would maybe think different. But Valentino Rossi also finish a set of tires in less than an hour…

For the average and more advanced riders I can recommend IRC tires, or if you want even a bit more but hate the high price tags look for Mitas SportForce + tires.. Mitas is famous for off-road / adventure bike tires but lately get more and more into the sport-touring tire market with good quality products...

• 10 months later...

Hi Jethro  

I know it'  been a while  since you wrote this post but What bike tires did you get for your bike??, 

The irc 003??, I'm running the irc izs 99 there OK but looking for more  grip and feedback for the front so be interested to know what you went for?? 

And I'm with you dude the ome road winners that come standard are shit I dumped them too after 100 kms also 

Archived