5 year residence requirement

The wife of a US citizen, after getting her green card, can become a citizen after 3 years instead of the 5 year requirement.  Anyone aware of an additional requirement where you still have to maintain a residence for the full 5 years even though you were allowed to become a citizen at 3 years?

Thanks

In my limited experience (only one foreign wife) she may be eligible for US citizenship based upon your marriage in three years, but it might take as long as a year for the paperwork, background information, etc. to be completed 

The only time I have heard the five years mentioned is when it concerns US Social Security eligibility (survivors benefits)

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:08 AM, Langsuan Man said:

The only time I have heard the five years mentioned is when it concerns US Social Security eligibility (survivors benefits)

I thought that the comment made about the 5 year requirement pertained to citizenship.  But now that I look back it was pertaining to SS survivor benefits.

I was not aware of a separate residency requirement for SS survivors benefits. 

So she can become a citizen at the 3 year mark, but can't draw SS unless she meets the 5 year residency requirement?  She can't draw until age 60, so she has another 13 years to go.  So as long as she lives in the USA for 5 of those 13 that would satisfy the requirement? 

Thanks