How our lives fell apart after foreign son-in-law died

webfact

Just now, PremiumLane said:

Bang on the mark

And to add, what is it with posters here insinuating that all Thais think and act the same, like they are some kind of hive mind. There is a name for that where I come from, it is called racist bs... and yeah before you get all stupid and tell us that some Thais think all farrangs are the same, we know, they are saying racist bs too...

i wouldn't call it racist but the postings in this thread are an excellent basis to extrapolate the general frustration and the narrow minded thinking combined with "schadenfreude" as well as "shared misery is half misery" of the common Farang expat in Thailand. :saai:

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Thaidream said:

A man has passed away and there is absolutely no sympathy shown to the deceased or his family. You truly are a sad lot- filled with hate and obviously a strong dislike of Thailand and its customs. And the interesting thing is that most of you know nothing about the country; the lives and mores of the people and their customs. You base all of your opinions on what you see from and about the bar crowd. Why do you stay here if you so dislike the people and the country?

None of you know anything about this family - the deceased or his family. From the sounds of the article it appears to me that very agresive collectors have possibly broken Thai law and the grandmother is seeking redress. If this is the case- I salute her as she is stepping forward to right a possible wrong.

Some of you people need to get a real attitude adjustment and I am not talking about the kind you get from the government. 

Try reading the post....nothing to do with

sympathy for the deceased ....it's about how

their FINANCIAL lives changed after the money

ended....(lack of sympathy would be totally on

the Thais if that was the case...attitude adjustment 

for them)

12 minutes ago, little mary sunshine said:

I believe The Thais are equally to blame

for selling their daughters (sin son) to

the foreigners.  Money, any way you can

get it.

Yes very true and you forget about the family telling the kids to go sell their body's as  prostitutes .

5 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Seen this too.. Nice couple who lived over from me on Phuket, elderly but fit and strong old german guy, with a nice long term wife probably 20 years his jnr (not a mega age gap). Married years, genuine couple, etc etc..

German guys kids never visited, never on the scene.. He dies, all his assets offshore, kids grab the lot, apparently a decent lump multi 100k euros, give the wife nothing, not even a token few 1000 and she doesnt even have money to pay the rent on his rental house next month. 

How fair is that ?? No wonder its grab what you can. 

."..how fair is that....." The German guy knew exactly

what he was doing...blame HIM not the children.

4 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Meh.. I think thats just more cultural gap.. 

I support my western mum, at one time it was a couple of grand a month (gone down now her pensions kicked in) and so be it, shes my mum.. There have been times I have kicked into wifes family, some as loans (paid as they said it would) but to her mum a gift.. I am bearing in mind as shes aging I will probably have to find a care solution to that, annex house in the garden down the line, something like that.. 

When I arrive at thier houses the best chair is pulled out for me.. The fan pointed at me.. I am fussed over and fed, my glass refilled before its empty.. And generally treated with the highest kind of care for my comfort you could expect. By christ would they give my wife a bollicking if I wasnt fed first, with the choice bits, or given proper wifely duty / respect.. Hell when I had a mia noi for a couple of years, the family said it was her fault, she obviously wasnt taking proper care. 

Yes I provide sometimes... Yes they appear to respect that.. If thats being an ATM on legs then its a deal I can live with..  

Haha I did laugh on the last  paragraph up to you but I am not a walking A T M for no woman be it thai our from the west .

i get all that shit the same as you it is because you are a walking A T M they do it and good on them .

i do put in and help out but none of this bs monthly salary that Thais  think you have to pay then no way .

7 hours ago, chainarong said:

I know a guy that built a beautiful OZ federation house, the wife died , next day after the funeral the son came down kicked him out , next of Thai kin, he now resides and works in HK and has a residency for life and has re-married, he gets rather upset when anyone mentions Thailand. 

More fool him for a allowing to be kicked out, irrespective of what you read,are told, believe , or think you know  - farangs have the laws of Thailand on their side just as the Thai's do.

7 minutes ago, kamahele said:

Sad story. The negative comments made about the Thai family with no evidence to back them up were sadder though.

You need to lean a lot about thai family's  not all of them are money  hungry but most are .

it is all about the money when it comes to Thais and thailand and most westerners go to thailand with  blinkers on .

i did the first few years , but now I have leant to be a lot smarter and not get suck in to thai p???? .

but up to you and the way you think I not have a problem with it .

29 minutes ago, little mary sunshine said:

."..how fair is that....." The German guy knew exactly

what he was doing...blame HIM not the children.

There are plenty of  ar_seholes in this world and they're not all Thai's. 

3 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Its almost like a cottage industry here. I know of one case in the family. The sendee gets to sample what he is paying for once a year for a couple months. 

Hope he enjoys it and gets his fill - might be doing a lot better than some of the full time married farangs. 

10 hours ago, kalidescopemind said:

It is the tough part of having a young Thai wife.  You have to make some sort of plans if you give a damn about them.  She should do well with the sale of the house if it wasn't mortgaged to the hilt.   And its sad, living with your mother in law will not extend your life.  Build a granny house.

Building a 5 mil baht in the bush is a dumb idea.What local Thai is gunna buy it and farang and wife are not going to move into a strange village.

7 hours ago, chainarong said:

I know a guy that built a beautiful OZ federation house, the wife died , next day after the funeral the son came down kicked him out , next of Thai kin, he now resides and works in HK and has a residency for life and has re-married, he gets rather upset when anyone mentions Thailand. 

The guy didn't do his homework.Don't marry and get usufruct.Not perfect,but some chance.

6 hours ago, georgemandm said:

Not sure how the son can do that if married to his wife , but if your mate had a Usufructs in place  he would still have his home .

you see lots go to thailand with  blinkers on and think it will not happen to them , but the truth is it can , like your mate and the same go's when a  relationship brakes down .

You can't have a usufruct with your wife.All depends on the will,he should at least get half if not all upon sale.He should have lawyered up.

7 hours ago, jerojero said:

Debt collection? What kind of massive debt that couldn't be paid off from proceeds of house sale 5million? Even if 1 million left, 2 people can live on that for years, and not thrown into the street.

Two people who are financially responsible that is.

The problem with this, which Ive seen time and again in Isaan is the wife persuades the foreign husband to build a deluxe house either in or on the outskirts of her family Village, & while he may have spent 5+ million Baht on it, its only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it...
 The locals wouldn't dream of spending even a fraction of this amount on a house, and why would someone well to do, Farang or Thai want to live in this particular village? so the Thai family get left with an unsellable house unless they are prepared to accept a fraction of its worth...

Point well said, and taken. Glad to see a few TV's posters with common sense replies such as yours.

16 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

You can't have a usufruct with your wife.All depends on the will,he should at least get half if not all upon sale.He should have lawyered up.

Read what I said ok I said if you are married it goes 50 / 50 but I did not say Usufructs if you are married.

you can have a Usufructs no problems as long as you don't get married.

that is what I was saying was not sure if he was married to her or not .

i agree not understand how he did not get half or the hole home . 

Yes should seen a lawyer. 

i have "lady friends" who have idiots sending them 20/30,000 baht a month, thinking they are their girlfriend . yeah right. one was getting 40,000 from an off shore oil worker.good for them i say. and yes, still in the bar.

You are right, but nothing new and well-known among expats and sex-tourists.

Sad story. The negative comments made about the Thai family with no evidence to back them up were sadder though.

I agree. Maybe she was a loving wife and he a loving husband and the grandmother a good soul. Bad things happen, even with planning. Corruption and crime has a way of thwarting plans. RIP and wish the family all the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

24 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

Says the guy with a Trump avi...

I feel sorry for him, based in one of the armpits of the UK, namely Scunthorpe.

As the old joke used to go - if Typhoo put the T in Britain who on earth put the second to fifth letters in Scunthorpe?

The answer is no one did.

6 hours ago, little mary sunshine said:

I believe The Thais are equally to blame

for selling their daughters (sin son) to

the foreigners.  Money, any way you can

get it.

55,only if the farang is silly enough to pay it.What is gf gunna do,piss off the golden goose,i don't think so.

Archived