Panthip Plaza-CM Refurbishment 2017

scottiejohn

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

Quite surprised that theres no menu in English and no menu at all on paper

Yes given that this whole redevelopment is meant to turn the ground floor into a "Tourist and Bazaar Zone" you would have thought that at least English (and possibly Chinese?) would be available throughout the multination franchise outlets.

Edited by scottiejohn

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, sanemax said:

Went to the KFC in PP the other day .

Quite surprised that theres no menu in English and no menu at all on paper .

Just four sign boards behind the counter with photos and Thai written .

Usually confusion at the counter with felangs asking for something, the workers not understanding and it ends up with felangs pointing at the photos and using sign language to denote the amount and whether big or small . 

Surely they could get a hold able English written menu ?

BTW , Zoe in Yellow will be closing down next May , the whole plot has been bought by developers

Although I don't patronize said establishments myself except for maybe ice cream, I have been in a few in Thailand with friends. I have never seen one that has any signs or menus in English. The Chinese usually show the counter staff an image on their mobile telephones of what they want.

42 minutes ago, elektrified said:

The Chinese usually show the counter staff an image on their mobile telephones of what they want.

Give them credit for being able to figure out this simple solution when many farangs end up frustrated and without their craved greasy chicken?

3 hours ago, Dante99 said:

Give them credit for being able to figure out this simple solution when many farangs end up frustrated and without their craved greasy chicken?

Rather than going to a KFC , then going online , downloading the menu onto your phone and then pointing at your phone to the KFC server and then showing what you want , it would be much more convenient all round, if they had the menu on the counter

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Rather than going to a KFC , then going online , downloading the menu onto your phone and then pointing at your phone to the KFC server and then showing what you want , it would be much more convenient all round, if they had the menu on the counter

Wouldn't it be more convenient all around if those folks who can not figure out how to manage here the way things are just left?  Really wouldn't that be better than having them mope about telling everybody how things should be?  Nothing personal Max, just asking.

46 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

Wouldn't it be more convenient all around if those folks who can not figure out how to manage here the way things are just left?  Really wouldn't that be better than having them mope about telling everybody how things should be?  Nothing personal Max, just asking.

Yes you are right .

I have booked my flight and I am going back to my Country tommorow

When my friends at home ask me why I came back

I shall tell them

"Because the KFC menu in Panthip Plaza in Chiang Mai wasnt written in English"

49 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

Wouldn't it be more convenient all around if those folks who can not figure out how to manage here the way things are just left?  Really wouldn't that be better than having them mope about telling everybody how things should be?

I don't think we should be asking tourists to "just leave".

We are talking about the place being a "Tourist and Bazaar zone" so expecting tourists to ask for things in Thai without even a menu to point at is asking a step too far.

23 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

I see Watsons (Pharmacy) are the next big ticket company about to open up in there.

saw the sign for that during the week as well - will hopefully drive that little pharmacy next to Big C out of business. I'm all for small businesses, but they once quoted me 450 baht for a strip of antibiotics, which I then subsequently went to another pharmacy and acquired for 60 baht - same antibiotic. Actually, most of the pharmacies are a rip off on that strip but they're particularly bad at it. Watsons aren't cheap either, but they have consistent pricing and don't mark things up just because you're a farang. 

Went to the KFC in PP the other day .
Quite surprised that theres no menu in English and no menu at all on paper .
Just four sign boards behind the counter with photos and Thai written .
Usually confusion at the counter with felangs asking for something, the workers not understanding and it ends up with felangs pointing at the photos and using sign language to denote the amount and whether big or small . 
   Surely they could get a hold able English written menu ?
BTW , Zoe in Yellow will be closing down next May , the whole plot has been bought by developers
Sounds normal for Chiang Mai. I'm surprised any of them manage to stay in business for very long. In fact most businesses don't seem to last long from what I have observed over the last few years of living here. I thought they were useless in Udon, but Chiang Mai has them beat.

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

On 8/26/2017 at 7:46 PM, sanemax said:

Slightly off topic, but Subways has gone from behind Dukes on the Night Bazaar

That's two gone then in the past year....  I still occasionally go to the one at Star Avenue.

BTW, I think the one there near the Dukes as well as the one that closed down at Kad Suan Kaew were ran by the same family...... and too be honest they weren't the most friendly bunch.

How much are reasonably priced sunglasses ?

Im looking for something in between the 30 Baht ones from the market and the 3000 Baht Ray-bans from opticians .

All the shops selling them do not have prices and every time I ask a price , they tell me a different price and so its hard to establish the real cost .

What would you expect to pay for a reasonable pair of sunglasses ?

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

All the shops selling them do not have prices

What has the cost of any item got to do with the subject of "Panthip Refurbishment"?

Anyway the biggest 'glasses" shop in Panthip (Top Charoen) opposite the BKK bank has a very large sign with a prices from/to poster above it's entrance and a large display case at the entrance with every single pair of sunglasses (mostly Rayban) with a clearly readable price tag on each and every pair of glasses.

Maybe you need reading glasses rather than sunglasses!

4 hours ago, sanemax said:

Im looking for something in between the 30 Baht ones from the market and the 3000 Baht Ray-bans from opticians .

All the shops selling them do not have prices and every time I ask a price , they tell me a different price and so its hard to establish the real cost .

You said you were leaving the country on Aug 28, what happened, couldn't leave without a reasonable pair of sunglasses?   What the hell is a "reasonable pair of sunglasses"? 

30 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

What has the cost of any item got to do with the subject of "Panthip Refurbishment"?

I wondered what the cost was and I didnt feel it justified starting a new thread, so, I put it in here 

The opticians in PP just seem to sell designer sunglasses and I just want a pair of regular sunglasses without paying for the label

4 hours ago, sanemax said:

You are so inconsistent in your posts!
You said originally that you could not see or get a price from the shop(s) in PP and wanted to know the costs now you say you don't want to pay for designer glasses.  What is your question?

And it still has nothing to do with refurbishment!

8 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

You are so inconsistent in your posts!
You said originally that you could not see or get a price from the shop(s) in PP and wanted to know the costs now you say you don't want to pay for designer glasses.  What is your question?

And it still has nothing to do with refurbishment!

I did state that I didnt want Ray-bans or designer sunglasses, and could see those prices , 3000 Baht odd from the opticians in PP

There are also some other local shops in PP selling sunglasses, without a price tag and everytime I go in their and ask, she tells me a different price and I have no idea about whether they should be 200 or 2000 baht

But yes, this is nothing to do with PP refurbishment and I should not have asked in here and I now wish that I didnt

Thanks for your help, but I will just go and shop around and ask and try to get their real worth on my own

Sorry to trouble you

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

You said you were leaving the country on Aug 28, what happened, couldn't leave without a reasonable pair of sun

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

Did I ?

When did I say that ?

Your post #67 this thread

first quote box was written by Dante not unsanemax.

11 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

Your post #67 this thread

first quote box was written by Dante not unsanemax.

I was being sarcastic .

What I meant was that Im hardly going to leave Thailand, just because the KFC menu in Panthip Plaza isnt written in English , like you suggested I should

21 hours ago, Dante99 said:

yes, this is nothing to do with PP refurbishment and I should not have asked in here and I now wish that I didnt

So do I wish you had not posted your comments re "sunglasses" on this topic.

Having had to wait around PP for a repair to be done on a laptop today I thought I would look at the refurbishment at PP and the "sunglass outlets".

There are only three outlets selling "sunglasses" (excepting Big C as I was not prepared to search all of it for 30Bht sunglasses) and of them one was the main glasses shop opposite BKK bank (Top C) as I posted earlier with full prices etc.  Of the only other two outlets ("Kiosks") selling  sunglasses , one was dedicated to glasses of all types and displayed little price tags attached to each pair of glasses and the other had them all clearly priced at 100Bht. 

Which Shops or kiosks did you visit which not display their prices and which ones gave or did not give you accurate/repeat prices.  Lets have some facts please.  You seem to be attacking PP with no justification and under the wrong topic!.

Sunglasses in PP are clearly marked by the outlets!  

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

Which Shops or kiosks did you visit which not display their prices and which ones gave or did not give you accurate/repeat prices.  Lets have some facts please.  You seem to be attacking PP with no justification and under the wrong topic!.

There are two on the ground floor, one is a shop and the other is a stall .

No prices displayed and I had to ask the price on every pair .

The prices seemed negotiable and as I  dont now their value , I was in no position to negotiate .

Anyway, not to worry, I got a 200 Baht pair from a petrol station

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

So do I wish you had not posted your comments re "sunglasses" on this topic.

Having had to wait around PP for a repair to be done on a laptop today I thought I would look at the refurbishment at PP and the "sunglass outlets".

There are only three outlets selling "sunglasses" (excepting Big C as I was not prepared to search all of it for 30Bht sunglasses) and of them one was the main glasses shop opposite BKK bank (Top C) as I posted earlier with full prices etc.  Of the only other two outlets ("Kiosks") selling  sunglasses , one was dedicated to glasses of all types and displayed little price tags attached to each pair of glasses and the other had them all clearly priced at 100Bht. 

Sunglasses in PP are clearly marked by the outlets!  

The quote you attributed to me was not written by me.  It is sanemax going on about sunglasses and fried chicken menues which have nothing to do with the topic.  The boy needs a muzzle.

1 minute ago, Dante99 said:

The quote you attributed to me was not written by me.  It is sanemax going on about sunglasses and fried chicken menues which have nothing to do with the topic.  The boy needs a muzzle.

The KFC menu mention was about the KFC menu in Panthip plaza