Panthip Plaza-CM Refurbishment 2017

scottiejohn

37 minutes ago, sanemax said:

The KFC menu mention was about the KFC menu in Panthip plaza

The thread is about refurbishment of Phantip Plaza, not the minute details of the shops therein.  Anyway you already apologized for and acknowledged your error in discussing the KFC menue in this thread, and now you try to defend it again.  Confused are we?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Dante99 said:

The quote you attributed to me was not written by me.  It is sanemax going on about sunglasses and fried chicken menues which have nothing to do with the topic

Sorry, my comments were meant to be directed at the sunglasses kid ((in)sanemax).  I do hope he looks super cool in his  200Baht high quality eye protecting sunglasses!

:sorry:

Meanwhile, getting back on the topic of refurbishment a new large IT/Computer outlet section has opened up on the 2nd floor (1st level up) in the area where the large temp clothing shop(s) used to be and I think IT city once stood.

Didn't have time to check it out yesterday (too busy looking at the huge number (3) sunglasses shops/kiosks) so will do so today and report back.

Just now, scottiejohn said:

Meanwhile, getting back on the topic of refurbishment a new large IT/Computer outlet section has opened up on the 2nd floor (1st level up) in the area where the large temp clothing shop(s) used to be and I think IT city once stood.

Didn't have time to check it out yesterday (too busy looking at the huge number (3) sunglasses shops/kiosks) so will do so today and report back.

Yes i noticed that things had changed

looks better than before

Only problem is they all charge the same price for IT products

Even if you say you can buy cheaper on line

2 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

Sorry, my comments were meant to be directed at the sunglasses kid ((in)sanemax).  I do hope he looks super cool in his  200Baht high quality eye protecting sunglasses!

:sorry:

Why the need to speak like that ?

You seem to be very upset that I posted asking about the cost of sunglasses in this thread .

I have already apologised for upsetting you  and could you accept that apology and move on ?

14 hours ago, Dante99 said:

The thread is about refurbishment of Phantip Plaza, not the minute details of the shops therein.  Anyway you already apologized for and acknowledged your error in discussing the KFC menue in this thread, and now you try to defend it again.  Confused are we?

"We" as in you and me ?

One of us is confused because I apologised for asking about the cost of sunglassses , (there was me thinking that those nice friendly people in the CM forum may be able to help me ) and I didnt opologise for commenting on the menu at the newly refurbished KFC in PP

And TBH , the opology for asking about the price of sunglasses was rather sarcastic

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:13 AM, lordblackader said:

I doubt a Starbucks or McDonalds will go in there given both have outlets less than 500 meters down the road at the Loi Kroh intersection, but other specialty shops are definitely welcome, even a KFC. The Big C has been a blessing if you live in the area, not only for convenience but cost as well as it's an alternative to the more expensive Rimping across the river (the closest if you're in the north parts of Chang Klan.) 

Are the language schools moving as someone suggested though? there are heaps of empty shops on level 3 and 4 that the shops from downstairs could use. 

Edit: forgot to mention, it's not a Big C mini, it's a Big C market, half way between the mini and the extra stores, you can do most of your shopping in there, be it with limited ranges with some items

Macs has now opened. No starbucks advertised as opening in the future, but there is still space if they want to.

Ground floor appears finished.

If I may, the DVD shop on level 3 sells good quality discs, but most people probably don't know it's there, as I've never seen any other customer in there.

Lack of customers appears to be a major problem above ground floor. Not sure how they can rectify that. Perhaps better advertising on the ground floor.

Language schools on level 4.

BTW, there is a small foodcourt up there.

The ground floor (Level 1) and 1st one up (Level 2) are nearly complete, just waiting for Watsons to open on Level 1 (don't know if the other chemist next to BIG  C will stay or not-they told me originally they were moving but recently said they were staying put!)

Level 2 is now basically all new IT/semi tech goods with Level 3 for repair/printers/software etc and level four for Education & food.

Level 3 and 4 have lots of spare undeveloped spaces and need something to draw people up above Level 2.

All in all I still think it is a big improvement on what it was 2 or more years ago.

I am just pleased that the Camera shop that used to be on the ground floor has re opened .

I bought a camera from there last year and it broke and I took the camera back for repairs and they had to sent it to BKK . Went back a month later to collect my camera and the shop had closed down , had to wait a further three months for the shop to re open on the second floor

Just slightly improved from before. It still looks like a third world locals mall, and it doesn't help having that center area so open with cheap folding tables everywhere.

I'm also disappointed in the prices there, most of the items for tech/cams/gear are way over priced.

21 hours ago, dcnx said:

Just slightly improved from before. It still looks like a third world locals mall, and it doesn't help having that center area so open with cheap folding tables everywhere.

I'm also disappointed in the prices there, most of the items for tech/cams/gear are way over priced.

It still looks like a third world locals mall, and it doesn't help having that center area so open with cheap folding tables everywhere.

You do realise that you are in Thailand, don't you? Have you ever been to Wanarot market?

Looks better than Tukom in Pattaya, and that is well frequented by locals and expats. Far more so than the much flasher Avenues.

They just have to hit on some way of getting more people in. If only the Immigration had moved there instead of Promenada.

23 hours ago, dcnx said:

it doesn't help having that center area so open with cheap folding tables everywhere.

It depends which day you visit.

The central circular are is normally clear except when there is some sort of promotion or presentation going on.  All the old Kiosks have been removed from outside the bank and the circular are to their own patch nearer to Big C.

Hard to believe there is this much interest in a terrible, small shopping center! The computer repair technicians are good as is the dental clinic, but I can't think of any other reason to ever go there. On my out of there a month ago after a dentist appointment, I decided to stop at a kiosk and see about putting a new screen cover on my mobile as I had dropped mine and the screen protector was cracked. The girl wanted 400 for the same one I had on there. I said no thanks and went to a walking street market and had a new one (same brand, same model) installed for 100 Baht!

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 11:23 PM, elektrified said:

Hard to believe there is this much interest in a terrible, small shopping center! The computer repair technicians are good as is the dental clinic, but I can't think of any other reason to ever go there. On my out of there a month ago after a dentist appointment, I decided to stop at a kiosk and see about putting a new screen cover on my mobile as I had dropped mine and the screen protector was cracked. The girl wanted 400 for the same one I had on there. I said no thanks and went to a walking street market and had a new one (same brand, same model) installed for 100 Baht!

One kiosk charged me a lot more for a small Mb flash drive ( and it didn't work anyway ) than one with more Mb that did work in Power Buy at the Airport mall.

I bought it because I was in a rush, but ended up losing time and money anyway. Never again.

However, I suppose the kiosk owners are desperate as so few customers.

Pity, as it could be a great little mall like Tukom in Pattaya.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

One kiosk charged me a lot more for a small Mb flash drive ( and it didn't work anyway ) than one with more Mb that did work in Power Buy at the Airport mall.

There are numerous shops in PP where they have marked prices for USB sticks

On 9/7/2017 at 0:38 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

It still looks like a third world locals mall, and it doesn't help having that center area so open with cheap folding tables everywhere.

You do realise that you are in Thailand, don't you? Have you ever been to Wanarot market?

Looks better than Tukom in Pattaya, and that is well frequented by locals and expats. Far more so than the much flasher Avenues.

They just have to hit on some way of getting more people in. If only the Immigration had moved there instead of Promenada.

Well, let's see. We have Maya, Central Festival, and Central Airport, all modern malls, especially Maya and Festival, both rival any western mall, and all in Thailand. And let's not even start with the mega Bangkok malls.

If you're going to shut a dumpy old mall down and remodel it, at least bring it up to date. At best it's 10% better, and that's reaching. They should have spent a little more money and had someone design a better mall. Just a little effort would have made a huge difference. 

1 minute ago, dcnx said:

Well, let's see. We have Maya, Central Festival, and Central Airport, all modern malls, especially Maya and Festival, both rival any western mall, and all in Thailand. And let's not even start with the mega Bangkok malls.

If you're going to shut a dumpy old mall down and remodel it, at least bring it up to date. At best it's 10% better, and that's reaching. They should have spent a little more money and had someone design a better mall. Just a little effort would have made a huge difference. 

Inside it looks just like the Big C on the way to Hang Don, and that is busting with people.

As someone said, the lack of parking is probably the killer for Pantip.

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

There are numerous shops in PP where they have marked prices for USB sticks

I was in a rush, and just went to the first place that had them. I was only PO because it didn't work, and I had to wait till I was in the mall. Now I don't trust any little shop for that sort of thing. At least with Power Buy I can get a replacement. In Pantip they don't even give receipts.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

PP?

Irrelevant, as I am not going to look at the prices in Pantip, go to a mall to check the prices there and then go back again if it is a few baht cheaper. Cost of travel would exceed the savings. Had the drive worked, I'd have been happy enough, not having had to go to a big mall.

Panthip Plaza.

There are numerous shops in Panthip Plaza that have USB sticks at the going rate , all prices shown  , same as other malls , no need to go to other malls to check prices

1 hour ago, dcnx said:

If you're going to shut a dumpy old mall down and remodel it, at least bring it up to date.

We are talking chalk and cheese here. How can you compare these large city malls you quote, which all have at least one and if not two major anchor stores in them, to Pantip Plaza!

It should also be noted that PP was never closed for this refurbishment, just certain areas were redeveloped, as they still are.

I believe PP gives a good service given it’s location and constraints.

PS; Is there any chance the price tag/menu/when does so and so open/my gadget does not work/I did not get a receipt brigade could stop their sniping in this topic and start their own "I don’t like/I like Pantip" topic and thereby leave the refurbishment topic to refurbishment.

2 hours ago, Mekong Bob said:

Has Office Depot moved to another location, or just closed altogether?

Don't know if Office Depot is at another location but I think it closed down in PP well before the 'refurbishment plan' became public.  There were a number of short lived outlets there after they disappeared. 

In a very  quick 'Google' search I could only see references to PP from a few years back, nothing new showing.

Edited by scottiejohn
added 'Google' search result (or lack of!).

On 9/9/2017 at 4:27 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Inside it looks just like the Big C on the way to Hang Don, and that is busting with people.

As someone said, the lack of parking is probably the killer for Pantip.

Yes it's the parking and why I never go there when I'm in Chiang Mai.