The Stupid Credit Laws for Foreigners Here

brucegoniners

And do Thais have credit history checks? Give over. They get a new motorcycle. 6 months down the road it gets repossessed. They just go down the road and get another on credit with a different loan company.
And Thais are taught to be racist. The words to the Thai anthem confirms it. 'Thailand is for Thais'. Can you imagine a western country having, lets say Germany, the words 'Germany is for Germans' in their anthem? dnftt.gif

Credit is very hard to obtain for the average Thai unless it's from a loan shark. Also, unlike in the West you can't just walk away from the loan. Fact.

Please do make sure you know what you are talking about before making a post.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Credit is very hard to obtain for the average Thai unless it's from a loan shark. Also, unlike in the West you can't just walk away from the loan. Fact.

Thais don't walk away from loans? You sure about that? I know several that did runners because they couldn't keep up payments. There are more loan defaulters in Thailand than in the west. How do you explain all the properties for sale by the banks?

Thais don't walk away from loans? You sure about that? I know several that did runners because they couldn't keep up payments. There are more loan defaulters in Thailand than in the west. How do you explain all the properties for sale by the banks?

By walking away, I mean they can't declare bankruptcy like in the West. The loan is going to be with them until it's paid off.

Please do make sure you know what you are talking about before making a post....Again.

Those who do not qualify or can't no longer use their home country credit card, either came with nothing (very little) to Thailand, lost or gave all to Thais or never really earned substantial income here (language teacher).

All fall into the category of quality expat.

I can't understand that expats struggle to scrap together 800k Baht for a long term visa. And they post here. ?

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:44 PM, beachproperty said:

I didn't have a problem .....I don't have a work permit and am retired ...The car is in my name and the loan is in my name.

I got a loan from Kiatnakin Bank ....Just told the Auto dealer if you want to sell me a car/truck... get me a loan. And they did!

I tell you how he did it.

About 25 yrs ago I wanted to buy a pick-up truck.

My Thai neighbour went with me to the dealer and made a deal.

The dealer signed on my wife (we were not married yet at the time) as guarantor with a salary of Baht 12,000- a month as my housekeeper and my Thai neighbour co-signed as 2nd guarantor for which he would get Baht 5000- from the dealer after I did pay off the car loan.

I happy, dealer happy and finance happy.

How this dealer got you a loan, I can only guess.

Don't miss a payment because you will be in BIG trouble.

9 hours ago, Savilesghost said:

I was up in CM over xmas and new year and got into the national parks for the same fee as a Thai  by producing a valid work permit...so guess thats your premise of racism shot to sh@t then

Surprising news, hope you had a good time.

I am surprised, as I was reading a thread from August 2016 in which it was stated.

Not that it could impact with me, I was just curious if you were being selectively treated or has there been a shift in applying policy?

And an apology for going off topic with the question.

Edited by Paul Catton

1 hour ago, bandito said:

I tell you how he did it.

About 25 yrs ago I wanted to buy a pick-up truck.

My Thai neighbour went with me to the dealer and made a deal.

The dealer signed on my wife (we were not married yet at the time) as guarantor with a salary of Baht 12,000- a month as my housekeeper and my Thai neighbour co-signed as 2nd guarantor for which he would get Baht 5000- from the dealer after I did pay off the car loan.

I happy, dealer happy and finance happy.

How this dealer got you a loan, I can only guess.

Don't miss a payment because you will be in BIG trouble.

NO co-signers!

Car dealers really don't like you paying cash for a car. Like most car dealers all over the world, they make more money on interest payments than actually selling cars.
When we said we would pay cash for our Honda Civic, the salesman's expression looked like he'd just sucked on a lemon.......

Nissan in Chiang Rai were falling over themselves to arrange a loan for me. They couldn't understand why I would want to pay cash, which I did. Work outside Thailand and don't have a Thai work permit.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

1 hour ago, Paul Catton said:

Surprising news, hope you had a good time.

I am surprised, as I was reading a thread from August 2016 in which it was stated.

Not that it could impact with me, I was just curious if you were being selectively treated or has there been a shift in applying policy?

And an apology for going off topic with the question.

Maybe, a lot of this is attitude, a lot a farangs go into situations guns blazing and a sense of entitlement which in most cases miffs the natives no end  

be respectful, polite and nice and it gets you a long way, what you also have to understand is a lot of farangs on here  hate the Thai people and Thailand generally for what ever reason and its been known that they lie for forward their anti Thai agenda 

Another urban legend put forward by the all knowing TVers dismissed : Pattaya floating market charging farangs, not true if you get their free VIP card, but the howling farang " residents" dont understand or read Thai to know this, and typically their BG/slapper girlfriends dont care enough about them to tell them LOL 

8 hours ago, bermannor said:

Another species of quality expats are those who are of the opinion that farang is derogatory. It would be very interesting to know how they like to be named, may be "Massa"or "God sent".

I know it is a wasted link for the ignorants

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farang

Dependent on the context and tone it can be intended as derogatory, so your not 100% correct in your remarks 

24 minutes ago, Savilesghost said:

Dependent on the context and tone it can be intended as derogatory, so your not 100% correct in your remarks 

Please tell me a polite Thai name for a European (Caucasian) staying/visiting Thailand.

To write, that "farang" is generally derogatory, is an insult. Yes, "man farang" is.

59 minutes ago, bermannor said:

Please tell me a polite Thai name for a European (Caucasian) staying/visiting Thailand.

To write, that "farang" is generally derogatory, is an insult. Yes, "man farang" is.

Probably the closest would be "chaw tang chard" (foreigner), which I've never heard used in casual conversation, we're always just "farang".

My Thai colleagues tell me just how rude "man farang" (effectively <deleted> foreigner) is as opposed to "manfarang" (potato).

Anyway we are way off-topic, let's get back on to car finance.