Sukhumvit Hotels

game4shame

any recommendations re Sukhumvit hotels? I've googled and searched the forum but still can't decide.

requirements:

swimming pool

health suite (jacuzzi/sauna etc)

massage

central to the action

under 2000 per night if possible

I stayed at nana hotel last time in Suk which was ok (never a dull moment :o ) but I fancy a change.

I was going to book the ambassador but reviews are inconsistent.

cheers

game

:D

Grand President on soi 11 ... should be able to find a Topaz studio for around 2000Baht on one of the hotel booking sites :D

I had a look at the grand president on the web - smooth place it must be said. fits requirements too. cheers. :D

prices starting at 2200pn though. :o that's ok by the looks of what you get but was looking for something under 2000pn if poss. :D

Hi, I have been researching for 2 weeks now. I will be booking in at the Majestic suites. Do you know that one?

i've only heard good things about majestic suites but there's no pool.

Can use the pool at Majestic Grande, right around the corner!! :o (last time I stayed there I did) Yes - Majestic Suites is great value for the money - best kept secret in BKK!

Hi, I have been researching for 2 weeks now. I will be booking in at the Majestic suites. Do you know that one?

I also heard a lot of positives for the place. I tried booking there 3 different times over a long period, even 3-4 weeks in advance, and they were always booked up. So better try for a room as soon as you can. I usually stay at the Dynsasty Inn on soi 4 (Nana) and find it comfortable and reasonable prices (around 1090 baht/night). Try to get a room in the back building if you decide, a bit nicer and quieter. Also, no swimming pool.

thanks for replies. I'll digest then decide. :o

if anyone has experienced the ambassador please feel free to comment.

Ive been inside the Ambassador and its a bit old and tatty .. nowhere near as nice as the GP next door.

You could check the Federal which is opposite the GP but again its rooms are a bit old as well but its half the price.

There is a new hotel at the beginning of soi 11 called Grand Business Inn ... rooms are meant to be nice but they were making renovations on the upper floors so noisy at times .. walk in price was 1600Baht

i've only heard good things about majestic suites but there's no pool.

Can use the pool at Majestic Grande, right around the corner!! :o (last time I stayed there I did) Yes - Majestic Suites is great value for the money - best kept secret in BKK!

I'm with Brit on this one, but book early - a few mates that have been over have had problems getting rooms there on arrival.

thanks for replies. I'll digest then decide. :D

I've stayed there on two occasions. The only thing going for it is location and the lobby. The rooms are a bit aged and seem to remember some amenities you would expect are missing. Doubt if I would stay there again consider so many better choices. It's not terrible though if you get a room in the back building and overlooking the swimming pool. :o

Edited by tywais

Just booked the Majestic Suites. 1350 Baht for single superior room. Includes taxes and breakfast. I bought a lonely planet book today and it comments that the rooms are hermetically sealed which apparently blocks out the noisy sound. They say that the rooms are "cosy" for petite people and some larger people that want space may feel "cramped". I can put up with a small room for the price and location. I just hope the bed in reasonably soft for my crook back. I personally don't care much for a pool. So far so good. The manager there seems very nice and i had no problem booking through sawadee.com. I will post my experience when i return home.

Hope you have a good trip no matter where you stay. Just remember to slow time down. Your on holidays i presume. Cheers. :o

If you book through asiatravel.com for Majestic Suites - just reserve with credit card. No payment until you checkout of the Majestic. :o

Beds are great and I've used them so much I'm always upgraded to higher class room. Rooms are a bit small, but only sleeping there for a couple nites, so don't normally mind. :D

Hope you have a good trip no matter where you stay. Just remember to slow time down. Your on holidays i presume. Cheers. :o

cheers mate. same to yourself. :D

If you book through asiatravel.com for Majestic Suites - just reserve with credit card. No payment until you checkout of the Majestic.

cheers brit - i'll look into it. :D

thanks for replies. I'll digest then decide. :o

I always use the Ambassador when I stay in Bangkok the last time being Oct. 2005. The reviews you will find range from one extreme to the other. Some people like me say this place is good, others will knock it for being old and/or dirty. Yes it is a bit dated, but they are renovating the rooms but I've never found it dirtier than any other hotel I've stayed at in Bangkok. I always stay in the Tower Wing, OK a little more expensive but will still be under 2000 baht per night unless you're there for gala dinner on New Years Eve. I find the place "comfortable," the rooms in the Tower are bigger than the main wing and I've never experienced the noise from the birds in the aviary as some people have. Try to get a higher floor. The last time I was there they were retiling the swimming pool so that will now be finished. There are all the amenities you want although I don't recommend the massage, there're better places around for less money. The breakfast buffet is very good. If you want a cheap drink you can cross soi 11 to Cheap Charlies bar in the little side street that is still soi 11. There's also a good Thai restaurant in the same soi. You're 5 mins. from the skytrain station and 10 mins from Nana. We usually eat at Cabbages and Condoms on Suk. soi 12. Only 20 min. walk away. Personally, I would recommend this hotel and I have stayed there many times but you are always going to find people who would find fault anywhere!

PS. I always pre-book through an agent as I've heard of excessive walk-in rates. I always book through Precisionreservations.com but after checking it seems Directrooms.com might be slightly cheaper.