Rao Tum Dai: Thai could be world's new english, Prayuth says

snoop1130

1 minute ago, LannaGuy said:

well my 'Thai friend' actually listened and understood what your hero said and 'my Thai friend' thinks you are an arrogant, pompous ****  and I GAVE YOU two sources and you gave me???  'Your Thai friend'      :w00t:

You are getting quite abusive . 

Its about time we bought this discussion to a close .

No need for abuse .

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, sanemax said:

You are getting quite abusive . 

Its about time we bought this discussion to a close .

No need for abuse .

loooor? but I agree you are getting abusive as normal... say 'hi' to your 'Thai Friend'  a fount of wisdom and political astuteness  

On 17/01/2017 at 1:30 PM, sanemax said:

Please provide a link to the whole interview and then we can decide , my friend was basing her opinion on the whole interview, you are basing your option on a few translated sentences .

You are clamming that my friend was "biased" ,what makes you say that ?

You are telling me not to listen to real peoples opinion and believe everything the media tells us, .

Do you realise that much of the media coverage is biased and they have an agenda  and they spin things to suit their agenda?

You need to start thinking for yourself , rather than being told what to think by a journalist

Or being told what to think by you?

9 hours ago, sanemax said:

I didnt tell anyone what to think .

I just posted something that I was told, up to others what they want to think

your post did NOT say 'my Thai friend said...'  you post said:

"He didnt say that the Thai language will become dominant .

He said in  a humorous  way .

Something like *Thai isnt a World language , but if you stick with me (as President) then it may become one , so, until then, keep learning English"

Therefore you are stating it as FACT only after I called you out did you backtrack with "well my Thai friend told me" - he said it period if I were you I'd let this die as you are making yourself look a fool.

Translated from Kapook website-

PM Prayuth said English language was important and was used the most in the world. He recommended students be brave enough to speak it to others. In addition he said if Thai was a world language, that would probably mean Thailand was already a super power. If we are successful in reforming the country, he said, Thai language may in the future be a world language because there are many students learning Thai.

Below the article were 48 comments from Thais most of whom opined the PM had got carried away with himself in his comments.

Is this tongue in cheek, pre April fools? I'm sure the Chinese will be baulking at his wacky statement. The guy is just delusional and typically xenophobic. I had such high hopes for him but he seems to be getting more full of himself. And he is actually doing young people a disservice by not stressing the importance of English. The truth is Thai is an antiquated and very basic, albeit messy and complex at the same time, language. There are too many dialects and it is often misinterpreted even by native speakers. As pointed out, only way Thai language would have dominance would be if the rest of the world suddenly perished.

“[Thai] has 44 characters … we have tones and more vowels than English. One word has many meanings. This is the pride Thais have built,” he explained.

Pride in having more vowels? That's akin to saying my TV remote is better than yours because it has more buttons. Many English words also have multiple meanings albeit the same sound in a different context, though he probably doesn't know this as he doesn't know English very well. That you have tones in your language points to a lack of vocabulary, they are not there to beautify it. I'm not going to say the S word, but derrrrr. I think he heeds some attitude adjustment.

15 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

“[Thai] has 44 characters … we have tones and more vowels than English. One word has many meanings. This is the pride Thais have built,” he explained.

Pride in having more vowels? That's akin to saying my TV remote is better than yours because it has more buttons. Many English words also have multiple meanings albeit the same sound in a different context, though he probably doesn't know this as he doesn't know English very well. That you have tones in your language points to a lack of vocabulary, they are not there to beautify it. I'm not going to say the S word, but derrrrr. I think he heeds some attitude adjustment.

Yes, and with all those extra vowels and extra meanings to Thai words, the Thai language has given us:

1) The greatest writers the world has ever seen (one is called Somchai-speare, another Milton-chai)

2) The greatest philosophers the world has ever known 

3) The greatest scientific thinkers and inventors who have ever benefited the world

4) The greatest political savants of which  history has ever been able to boast

5) The greatest educators and philanthropists who travel the world and, in their magnificent Thai language, try to help others with their wisdom and aid

6) The greatest technicians the planet has ever seen (who can use a boat propeller to push water out of an estuary and into the sea ...)

on and on it goes!

Yes, the Thai language, with its countless vowels and multiple subtle meanings, has brought us all these wonderful things.

My, what a phenomenal, world-beating language and culture Thai is - one to be really, really proud of!

Edited by Eligius

21 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Sorry but it's nonsense to suggest tones point to a lack of vocabulary. Thai language has many words for the sun, moon and personal  pronouns for example. And like English and every other national  language there are layers of sophistication among users.

I'm English but personally I find French and Thai to be more pleasing to listen too, more melodic.  

13 minutes ago, bannork said:

Sorry but it's nonsense to suggest tones point to a lack of vocabulary. Thai language has many words for the sun, moon and personal  pronouns for example.

Indeed, the vocabulary has undoubtedly been supplemented over the years, but the primary reason for tones is to increase wordage.

Look, I don't mean to denigrate it; I love the country, people and enjoy the language (all to an extent). I admire those who speak it fluently and wish I spoke more -- darn I even wish I was Thai on occasion, if only to blend in more and avoid visa hassles -- but when you have the prime minister saying what he has (basically trying to slap lipstick on a pig), one needs to inject some sense of reality. The issue is he is never challenged; no-one is taking him to one side to have a word in his shell-like and say, look mate, what you're saying is tripe, you're making yourself look a tool.