Victory Motorcycles Shutting Down

canthai55

Interesting.

I think once they had the Indian name, and released the new bikes, with those excellent engineered and looking Chief motors, it already sounded the death knell for Victory motorcycles. Although well engineered (certainly better than HD), and well put together, that cruiser/custom big  twin scene recquires that history and brand name which Victory were lacking.

Well same mother company anyway, so a long time business strategy. 

No many of either in Thailand, some rich folks in Bangkok have one as a weekend toy.

I read somewhere that Harley is starting to struggle, older generation that bought them are slowly stopping riding due to old age and the younger people don't want them as much as they hoped for.

Surprised they lasted the time they have.

Reminds me of the days of UK motorcycle companies when Honda arrived on the scene. 

To think there had been around as many as 60 motorcycle company to set up production in the UK over many years and only a few revived ones hang in there now.

On 13/01/2017 at 6:26 PM, guzzi850m2 said:

Well same mother company anyway, so a long time business strategy. 

No many of either in Thailand, some rich folks in Bangkok have one as a weekend toy.

I read somewhere that Harley is starting to struggle, older generation that bought them are slowly stopping riding due to old age and the younger people don't want them as much as they hoped for.

Excellent news, if true. I've not liked the way the Motor Company has been going since the Twin Cam came out circa 1999.

Up until the mid 90's it was still being run by family and engineers that knew what they were doing. Since then it appears that accountants and "lifestyle"  publicists have taken over design. Case in point being the 03 on Sportster, since year dot, they've had a trap door where the g/box cluster could be removed without disturbing the bottom end of the motor, a la unit BSA/Triumph, save a dollar or two, now you've got to split the motor to look at the g/box...