Racism, anger and why dual pricing makes sense to Thai people

snoop1130

Quite possibly my my last post on this thread.

Only my idea you must remember.

One park or museum decides on an entrance fee. Decision made by a bunch of administrators or whatever.

One or two of them decide that some people should be granted a discount depending on their circumstances.

So far I haven't mentioned any particular country nor will I.

Another country do something similar in deciding an entrance fee and some members suggest that some others should pay more because they are from another country.

Please feel free to discuss.

Jumps on his horse

Rides into the night

Crying, p-ss on you all

It's been a hell of a night.

4 minutes ago, overherebc said:

One park or museum decides on an entrance fee. Decision made by a bunch of administrators or whatever.

One or two of them decide that some people should be granted a discount depending on their circumstances.

Another country do something similar in deciding an entrance fee and some members suggest that some others should pay more because they are from another country.

Jumps on his horse

Rides into the night

Crying, p-ss on you all

Now that is a hard one

I will come back to soon

as need to look up what is said or ask wife

but last comment I understand that its been like watching paint dry with some

20 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Falang want to visit Thailand,

Falang arrives at Bangkok airport and is automatically given a free visa stamp with no fuss.

Thai wants to visit Falangland.

Thai must pay for visa and show land deeds, property deeds, bank statements, receipts, signed letter from employee, signed letter from falang sponsor, medical reports etc...just because they are from an asian country.

Edited by onthesoi

12 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Jumps on his horse

Rides into the night

Crying, p-ss on you all

You're twisting things to try to make it look as though you have not been repeatedly proven wrong.

To recap, in the US, the U.K. and many other countries, discounts are given to local people, in Thailand Thai people are charged less, can you see where this is going?  Yup, there is exactly no difference between charging Thais less than foreigners to go to Erawan NP than charging Florida residents less to go to see Mickey Mouse.  Your attempt to conflate the issue with "circumstances" when you have previously seen it demonstrated countless times that it is done by residency in other countries as well was rather lame to say the least.

1 hour ago, wakeupplease said:

You pay for what you get Holland does give vast sums of money to help others

But education is superior there and in Europe + Aus and the UK to what you get here

Name one Thai UNI that is rated above bad if you can

according to who?

13 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

Falang arrives at Bangkok airport and is automatically given a free visa stamp with no fuss.

Thai must pay for visa and show land deeds, property deeds, bank statements, receipts, signed letter from employee, signed letter from falang sponsor, medical reports etc...just because they are from an asian country.

Thai need farang cash and a visa cost of £135.00 yes I paid that many times it is not enough money

So give farang free 30day visa to come into thailand  and he spend big cash and ripped of for even more by being drugged and wrapped in plastic bags while trying to be a member of the flying club. then they send local  Farang to border every 90 days to get more money (for life) and also double price of sales to farang if he lucky most it 10x

Pretty little Thail lady do test after marry Nice Farang go to uk then first thing she do is get British nationalization, so no border visits ever, hey she even get free heathcare and in time pension and can buy land and house in UK with farang money

She even send money back here to help family and say to UK tax I not earn much but ask friend every month to send £500.

But Farang is scum Thai teacher say so

thai lady want more money but farang to old he dies ok set up brothel ..................see UK court cases of late

I now treat um as I find um

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

Learn to read and buy a vpn my friend, just do a bit of research please and hey ho you will know what I know

sorry not want to upset you but what a weekend of crap

have a good night

keep well

Dear, It is racist from you to assume that. I am so sorry of your hate.

25 minutes ago, LolaS said:

Dear, It is racist from you to assume that. I am so sorry of your hate.

Not hate i love the county as much as you do and my wife and her family and friends even more

I just do not like liars and thieves and it getting worse in Thailand

20 years ago fine but now I have to tell the truth

tell me none of what I said did not happen in the last week and I left out the cheating police

If I am wrong

Sorry

Edited by wakeupplease
spelling

1 hour ago, onthesoi said:

A Thai can own land in the UK.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, maxpower said:

A Thai can own land in the UK.

Yes that is right they own shops, restaurants, Knocking shops, houses and Mercedes Benz Cars +

and they do not have to do 90 day reports or go to the border to pay more to live there and you get free healthcare and in time a UK pension

And our shopkeepers will get sent to hell if they double charge them because they are Thai

So if the UK can do that to keep racial harmony why can't Thailand

Whats wrong with the UK its bloody cold right now and nearly all of us have to pay tax

Tax is payable on the income you earn and many Farangs here think that is wrong plus a few others

But it pays for many things including hospitals which some take the piss out of and POLICE that are 99+% corrupt free unless you really upset one

That's why I moved how about you

Edited by wakeupplease
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, overherebc said:

There you go again making up your ideas on someone you've never met.

9 years service in the army and two active service tours might and I say might give me an insight into violence. But then again what do I know.

Well, there you go.  As one vet to another, had the vendor not been a crippled old man (or had 10 of his children appeared out of nowhere), I think you might see how your views on the topic might have changed had they applied a little violence in order to communicate their displeasure with your negotiation techniques.  

Not that it matters.  You've already wimped out telling the story originally implying that you really stuck it to him to a later retelling of the story where it was all smiles and the Buddha came down and touched the vendor on the head and he suddenly realized the error of his ways. 

6 hours ago, Paruk said:

Well, you've been all over this topic the whole bloody weekend! Don't you have something else to do? Get a live....or is yours practically over and trolling on TV topics is all there is left for you to do?

Far from it.  I've mostly been reading this in spurts.  Like the comment you're responding to, a friend called and said he would be an hour late and, so there I was with an hour to kill.  

Also, keep in mind that I've been hearing this BS for nearly 20 years.  I simply have random moments where I decide to speak up and call BS.  

Look at my profile.  I've been on here since 2006 and have made 1200 or so posts.  Do the math.  I'm fairly sporadic in my postings.    

7 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

Yes that is right they own shops, restaurants, Knocking shops, houses and Mercedes Benz Cars +

and they do not have to do 90 day reports or go to the border to pay more to live there and you get free healthcare and in time a UK pension

And our shopkeepers will get sent to hell if they double charge them because they are Thai

So if the UK can do that to keep racial harmony why can't Thailand

Whats wrong with the UK its bloody cold right now and nearly all of us have to pay tax

Tax is payable on the income you earn and many Farangs here think that is wrong plus a few others

But it pays for many things including hospitals which some take the piss out of and POLICE that are 99+% corrupt free unless you really upset one

That's why I moved how about you

Yes, the uk allows anyone to buy land and houses, and as a result many British people can't afford to buy houses, great.

90 day reports are only for those who have not applied for and been granted residency in Thailand, the equivalent for a Thai in the U.K. would be the 6 month visa after which they have to leave, it is actually much much harder for Thais to stay in the UK.

Apply for Thai residency and you too will get free health care, as will you get a pension if you pay your stamp, it is all much the same actually.

And no one is charging anyone more for being British, but come to where I am from in the U.K. and some will charge you more if your accent lets them know you're not a local, again no real difference.

And we do pay tax in Thailand, once you are earning equivalent wages to the UK you pay equivalent taxes, the problem being not as many earn as much and so there just isn't as much revenue and so things like the hospitals are underfunded and the police wages so low that they are tempted into corruption.  

The uk has its benefits, but not enough to make me want to live there, for me the good out weighs the bad in Thailand.

• Like 1

On 14/01/2017 at 5:42 AM, possum1931 said:

How did you know anyone was actually a Thai unless they told you, people look alike in different South East Asia countries. ie, if I showed you a picture of one girl from each SEA country, would you be able to pick out the Thai?

It was obvious by her accent and she said she was Thai.

No matter how you spin it, dual pricing is double standards. ask the rich Thai who buy houses in London or the UK. That is perfectly acceptable but UK people shouldn't be allowed houses here in Thailand. double standards, clear and simple. Ask them why and you will probably get the answer of "if the UK government are stupid to allow foreigners the ability to buy houses it's their fault". That is the mindset here and I doubt will change. Personally I would like tourist attractions in the UK go up 200% for Thais like in national parks, until there is equal parity.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Shawn0000 said:

And no one is charging anyone more for being British, but come to where I am from in the U.K. and some will charge you more if your accent lets them know you're not a local, again no real difference.

Go and let the trading standards know this and they will be fined heavily, your money returned and a constant check on this business. I don't see anything like that in Thailand. It is against the consumers goods and sale of goods act to have different prices in the UK. Nothing like that here in Thailand. I do however agree that the UK has benefits but not enough for me to go back.

• Like 2

I see that you are now defining how I feel about Thailand. I didn't realize negative comments were not appreciated at least by you. My experiences are different from yours and I am entitled to express my thoughts about what I have seen here. A very small minority of Thais will support my comment. They are educated and honest about many things that is holding Thailand back from gaining respect in the international community. Dual pri cing is only one of many things that are unprincipled and unjust in this country. Enough said.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

No matter how you spin it, dual pricing is double standards. ask the rich Thai who buy houses in London or the UK. That is perfectly acceptable but UK people shouldn't be allowed houses here in Thailand. double standards, clear and simple. Ask them why and you will probably get the answer of "if the UK government are stupid to allow foreigners the ability to buy houses it's their fault". That is the mindset here and I doubt will change. Personally I would like tourist attractions in the UK go up 200% for Thais like in national parks, until there is equal parity.

The reason for this is Thailand's currency is undervalued in order to encourage exports as it is an export driven developing economy unlike the UK which is a service driven developed economy.

What this means is British people have a competitive advantage in purchasing Thai goods over Thai people while Thai people have a competitive advantage in selling Thai goods over British people.

This provides some ethical justification for dual pricing but it also defeats the purpose of why the economy is structured like this, that is, to encourage exports such as tourism.

It does however create an unbalanced playing field for Thai people competing against foreigners for limited capital assets in their own countries, land being the most pertinent and as such restrictions need to be enforced otherwise property values will inflate to the point where Thai people won't be able to own their own homes.

There are ways of measuring this advantage and as such a simply tax on foreigners buying land can be done to level the playing field as is done in many other developing countries but I suspect there may be other reasons why Thailand does not want to open up land sales to the west.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, maxpower said:

Let me guess, you were not wearing a nice clean shirt with a collar.

We both had clothes on while he attempted to scam me based on my skin color.  Hardly a relevant detail. I thought offering him almost double the item value was enough of an act of benevolence.  Lemme guess, you pay more than double for everything because you are better than me?

Edited by ThaiWai
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Go and let the trading standards know this and they will be fined heavily, your money returned and a constant check on this business. I don't see anything like that in Thailand. It is against the consumers goods and sale of goods act to have different prices in the UK. Nothing like that here in Thailand. I do however agree that the UK has benefits but not enough for me to go back.

Utter drivel, there is no law telling UK businesses they must sell to everyone for the same price, there is nothing of the sort in the sale of goods act, stop lying.

Go into any builders merchants in the UK and then tell me there are not businesses selling different people the same thing for different amounts!  It is standard practice in some businesses, ever heard of having an account?  Do you really think account holders pay the same as someone who has just walked in off the street?

We get discounts where we live, fact!  We don't have to pay what the tourists are charged and that is the right of the seller, they can have a sale, they can offer a deal and they can give a local a discount if they want!  Now stop making things up!

On 14/01/2017 at 11:44 AM, digibum said:

Glad to see how you skipped over reading anything in this thread so you could peck out a response.  Thanks.  

So are you suggesting that, let's say the US, specifically targeted Thai people?  Because that's not what is happening in Thailand.  They have one price for citizens of the country and another price for non-citizens.  

And yes, you can find plenty of examples of pricing that discriminates against tourists in almost any Farangland country.  

So what's your point?  

you can find plenty of examples of pricing that discriminates against tourists in almost any Farangland country.  

I have lived in/visited many western countries but have NEVER experienced what you suggest. In my home country, UK, it would be termed discriminatory and therefore illegal. Same in all EU countries. US? Who cares?

22 minutes ago, ThaiWai said:

We both had clothes on while he attempted to scam me based on my skin color.  Hardly a relevant detail. I thought offering him almost double the item value was enough of an act of benevolence.  Lemme guess, you pay more than double for everything because you are better than me?

8 minutes ago, hugh2121 said:

you can find plenty of examples of pricing that discriminates against tourists in almost any Farangland country.  

I have lived in/visited many western countries but have NEVER experienced what you suggest. In my home country, UK, it would be termed discriminatory and therefore illegal. Same in all EU countries. US? Who cares?

If you had read through the posts you would have seen several links I posted that prove you are talking nonsense, many counties in the U.K. have offers only for county residents, it is completely normal, not discriminatory against tourists to offer locals discounts and thus not illegal.  Here is one more example to demonstrate to you that you have no idea what you are talking about.

http://www.pro-teccovers.co.uk/index.php/news-a-events/79-shows/78-20-discount-deal-for-all-scottish-residents

15 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

If you had read through the posts you would have seen several links I posted that prove you are talking nonsense, many counties in the U.K. have offers only for county residents, it is completely normal, not discriminatory against tourists to offer locals discounts and thus not illegal.  Here is one more example to demonstrate to you that you have no idea what you are talking about.

http://www.pro-teccovers.co.uk/index.php/news-a-events/79-shows/78-20-discount-deal-for-all-scottish-residents

Your example is a compensation discount over a limited period. 

11 minutes ago, maxpower said:

Your example is a compensation discount over a limited period. 

So what?  It is an offer that apparently discriminates and thus should be illegal according to some made up law!

Anyway, if you think that was a bad example, don't worry, there are plenty to choose from.  Here's another: http://www.mycumbriacard.co.uk/