The law ( or lack of it ) is an ass

dcsw53

Over the last year a road near us has become a race track for young motorbike riders. It is dead straight for 1.5 km until it finishes by becoming a farm track. It is accessed at a crossroads with traffic lights, so it is the perfect venue for the drag racing that goes on between 10pm and 4am.

The area is well populated and all of us get treated to the roar of bikes as the rev away when the lights change.

We and dozens of others phone the police nightly. Often they attend but nothing happens because of two factors. Either the riders are under 16, so the police claim they are powerless to stop them and can only talk to them, or they have no number plates and give false details. Either way the police arrive and depart empty handed. Recently one local appeared to take matters into his own hands when his pickup mysteriously swerved in front of a bike doing over 100km, separating it from the rider. It is only a matter of time before a fatality occurs.

Why does the government have no interest in changing this ? Once a large fatality occurs, as it did in Bang Na recently, they jump for the microphones, but there is no appetite to do anything about road racing throughout the country.

So much could be stopped in a instant.

- Any minor found on a bike would have it confiscated, and the parents fined

- Anyone driving without number plates would have the vehicle confiscated

- Make road racing illegal. The authorities act on lese majeste in a flash, I am sure even the could draft legislation that could have teeth. Anyone with two convictions would lose their licence for 5 years.

The number of road deaths would be cut and thousands would enjoy a good night's sleep.

Lazy police. We had a spell with kids on bike's racing on the road near us, the police rounded them up and confiscated any bike with no tax/insurance or anything illegal. The police still take away bike's with load exhausts.

We have been lucky after our police chef was removed and our new man is proactive, lots of people don't like him but he has stopped bike racing and drink driving.

What does it mean they have no number plate and give false details? A bike without a number plate and official documents to identify the pu$$-+es is to be impounded and the p*$$y arrested. 

If they are underage and should be in bed already then there's juvenile detention for such cuties. 

Forget the police. Call 1111 and complain, ideally in Thai and ideally get as many different local people as possible to do it. The military do actually seem to care about making people respect the law, and they dont seem to care who they upset.

Have a road like that here by Loch Palms golf course in Phuket.  Good asphalt pavement with some hills and very interesting curves for the aficionados. Had much speeding also some bike racers, then the neighbors got fed up and put in a goodly number of speed bumps. Not the real big ones, just enough to take the fun out of speed. Working very well.

About 3 months ago there was a problem with young bikers racing from our village to the next. The local ppuyaiban called the police. They attended with 3 pick ups, stopped the racers and impounded their motor cycles. Unfortunately they impounded my son's bike too, he wasn't racing but fishing in the local river but had parked it where the racers were assembled.

The following day my wife and son had to go to the police station together with the vehicle registration boo, proof of insurance etc. The bike racing has since ceased.

It would appear the the police in the OP's case were to bone idle to make no more than a 'don't do it again' gesture whereas if they has caused the racers inconvenience then  a positive result might have occurred.

Edited by Toknarok

I hate to beat a dead horse, but Thais don't care about anything unless it affects them directly.

Example ; A few years ago there was a heinous head on crash between 2 fully packed pick up trucks. One loaded with people going to a wedding & 1 loaded with construction workers on the way home. About 24 or 25 people killed. I asked my GF at the time 'Why doesn't Thailand do anything to solve this problem?" Her reply was, and I quote - "No problem...Thailand have plenty people."

And so it goes.