Crash casts shadow over Children’s Day

rooster59

Crash casts shadow over Children’s Day

By THE SUNDAY NATION, AGENCIES

84d3ec76761252417895907eba9ff334-sld.jpeg

THE NATIONWIDE Children’s Day celebration yesterday was marred by tragedy after a fighter jet plunged from the sky during a military air show in Songkhla province, killing the pilot.

The accident happened at Wing 56 of Hat Yai airport in the southern province before hundreds of spectators, including many children, who watched a show organised by the Air Force as part of Children’s Day activities.

The pilot of the Swedish-made JAS 39 Gripen jet was identified as Squadron Leader Dilokrit Pattawi, 34, from Wing 7 based in nearby Surat Thani province.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30304142

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-01-15

1 hour ago, Somtamnication said:

/I don't get how the truck overturned? Speeding? Turned too fast? Thai driver?

I just don't get it either.The bloody thing was being driven on a RUNWAY.---- I always thought they were smooth straight  and long stretches .Don't think planes can go round corners on landings or t/o's 

33 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

RIP Thai pilot.

but I am sure none of us are shocked at the truck turning over.

Well i guess the truck was full (maybe too full or not full enough) of water without having the tank divided by segments? So he took a sharp curve, all the water moved to one side and it went belly up.

I hope they learn from that as well, this really shouldn't have happened. Well at least the kids could see how dangerous it is to drive/fly machines and how important proper training is.

2 hours ago, fruitman said:

Didn't the plane have ejectable seats? 

I expect that an investigation (if there is one) will reveal that the aeroplane hit the ground under control and with no structural/control/engine defect.  I doubt the conclusions will be made public.

Pilots who think that they have got it "nailed" do not usually eject.

By the time they realise their mistake it is too late.

The RTAF already know why it happened.  Everyone will keep a polite, respectful silence.  People will say nice things about him.

Hopefully in the briefing rooms, behind closed doors, the film will be replayed and other pilots will learn from it.

Edited by Enoon

20 minutes ago, Enoon said:

I expect that an investigation (if there is one) will reveal that the aeroplane hit the ground under control and with no structural/control/engine defect.  I doubt the conclusions will be made public.

Pilots who think that they have got it "nailed" do not usually eject.

By the time they realise their mistake it is too late.

The RTAF already know why it happened.  Everyone will keep a polite, respectful silence.  People will say nice things about him.

Hopefully in the briefing rooms, behind closed doors, the film will be replayed and other pilots will learn from it.

I agree with that. I've also had extensive flight training on microsoft simulator and most recently with aeroplane simulator for android. In which I flew a griphen fighter. To be honest, he went into a barrel roll and was coming up to an inverted loop when he mistimed his altitude and well, game over.

To bad the guy was trained in Thailand and not in a first world country. Then he'd have looked like Tom Cruise in Top Gun. Oh well, they live and learn, they live and learn.

Edited by Wilsonandson

A day for children should be about fun and respect for children, not about the wonders and might of the Thai military. I was pleased to see our local police were filling balloon's with air for kids and had removed there guns, but the army were walking around with M16 rifles drinking cans of beer.