Will i be given a re-entry permit?

I understand that, as long as it is within it's expiry date, the re-entry stamp is valid regardless of whether the passport is valid or not. You make sure you get the old passport back when you apply for your new one, and take it with you for when you arrive in Thailand again.

• Like 1

You can get a re-entry permit and it will cover you up until the expiry date of your extension of stay, assuming that is what you are here with. I suppose it also depends on your visa extension, normally the extension is given for a year for marriage or retirement, however, it will be shortened should your passport become invalid during that time.

My yearly extension normally expired at the end of March, however when I did the last extension (at the end of Feb.) they gave me the yearly extension ending this time on the 1st of March, the last date my passport was valid.

Then I applied for a re entry in June, the re entry was valid again until the 1st of March.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kate33 said:

My question is will i be given a re-entry permit when they see my passport expires in August?

Are you here on an extension of stay? If so, a re-entry permit could be bought and it would be valid up to the date your extension expires ... which would be no later than when your passport expires.

If you're here on a single entry visa entry, the re-entry permit would be valid up to the date your permission to stay expires.

If you have some multi-entry visa that does not expire before you return to  Thailand, then you don't need a re-entry permit. 

If you're here on an extension of stay and have a re-entry permit, when you return with your new passport, you would show both passports at immigrations when arriving and will need to visit immigration to transfer your extension stamp.

If you're here on a still valid multi-entry visa, you'll need to show both passports for any border crossings until you get a new visa. Visas are not transferred to a new passport.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Hi guys thanks for your help. Sorry i was vague. I have lived in chiang mai for 3 years with a non-imm b visa and a work permit. Im going home for a week to the uk for my nans funeral not just to re-new my passport :). Usually i just get a re-entry permit and come back to thailand no problem. I was just worried they might not give me one because my passport expires in August.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kate33 said:

Usually i just get a re-entry permit and come back to thailand no problem. I was just worried they might not give me one because my passport expires in August.

If you routinely get a re-entry permit, I suspect you're here on an extension of stay based on work rather than a visa entry.

The impending expiration of the passport won't be a problem. As long as you have a valid permission to stay or extension of stay, the re-entry permit can be obtained with the same expiration date as your current permission or extension.

• Like 1

When you return with your shiny new passport present both new and old at the immigration counter, make sure the officer understands what you are doing, you should have no problems.

If you do seem to be having issues, ask to talk to a supervisor.

• Like 1