Sending A Thai Bike To England, Help!

Loz

Hi,

I found a bike a Really couldn't NOT buy and then I found another. Concerned that this may become a habit I though tI better check into the logistics of sending these bikes back to England or to anywhere else in the world that I might chose to enjoy them.

Is it as hard to get a bike out of Thailand ans it is, "Into" Thailand?

Some Classic bikes that I would consider buying from genuine sources also have no registration or paperwork. How do you go about exporting such a bike? Would you take it apart and ship it as "spare parts".

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, No need to tell me, "NEVER BY A BIKE WITHOUT PAPERS!!" I understand the risk. Caveat Emptor lives strong in Thailand! Lets just concentrate on the what if question in hand, thanks.

All advise appreciated.

:o

Years ago, a friend of mine bought a Suzuki 750 rice burner and took it back to England. There was more work in Thailand than in England. You need to de-register it, or at least he did then -- 13 years ago. In order to de-register it, you need to show that you own it. You need to take out all of the gasoline, oil, etc.

One option is to do what many people do when they bring in used bikes from Japan. The bikes come in three pieces and they are assembled here and given a license. I am not saying this is legal, I am only saying that this is what is done for hundreds of large cc motorbikes.

Take your bike and find a way to license it. You can pm me and I can put you in contact with a Thai man in Pattaya who brings in loads of big bikes from Japan and is able to do it. I would bet that your local Harley Davidson shop could do it for you as well.

After you have done that, you can de-register it. The taxes and tariffs in England are small. It was relatively inexpensive for my friend to legalize his bike many years ago, but with pollution standards, that may have changed, or you may be in luck, and as the bike seems to be quite old, it may not have to comply with the recent regulations.

Make sure everything is legal here!!!!

If you make a mistake in England, you can work it out. If you make a mistake here, you will lose the bike or be charged an exorbitant fee to have it returned.

Beautiful find.

Good Luck!!!