Teaching in Pattaya or nearby region

djarmin

Hello, everyone!

I will be finishing my bachelor degree in science (Molecular biology and biochemistry) by mid-April -2017. I am a Canadian citizen. I was wondering if I can find a teaching position in Pattaya. I prefer to teach science (biology/chemistry/math/ or physics). I don't mind teaching English, but I don't have any certificate for it. So what are my chances?! 

I would appreciate if you could suggest any school or share your personal experience on finding a teaching position. 

Cheers.

22 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

These subjects are not usually taught by foreigners. I think Pattaya has some decent international schools, but you are most likely not qualified to teach there.

I am not a teacher and don't live in Pattay, so perhaps I could be wrong. I am sure someone more knowledgeable will come along.

thanks for your answer anyway. 

5 hours ago, eldragon said:

I know someone's gonna ask... Why do you want to teach in Pattaya? It's kinda a dump.

Thanks for your response! I love Thailand, and I love Pattaya specifically. I know the tourist area in Pattaya is not as good as some other tourist places in Thailand. But recently I went to Pratumnak Hill area, and I was shocked by cleanness and beauties and how quiet it is. So I am planning to move there for at lease two years to gain some life/work experience.  Any idea how much salary they will pay for teaching science subjects. 

Cheers!

Salary from an agent with connections in the Pattaya area will range from 25-30K a month for a Native English Speaker with a degree and as you indicate, ability to teach science as well as English. This may without benefits such as insurance and paid holidays and vacations. Directly hired people will get the same range of wages as well as holiday and vacation pay and insurance, after a probation period. Schools which hire direct, a small number BTW, will do an extensive background check. You might as well get your police clearance document in Canada before you come over, from you local authorities. The references will be checked so have them prepared for strange phone calls at strange hours. In addition, might I suggest you make color copies of your diploma and transcripts for presentation to both the school and the licensing authorities here. Color always impresses and the costs is minimal. 

Living in the Pratumnak Hill area will require you to have your own transportation. A rental motorcycle will certainly do and is available everywhere. Bicycle is not really an option, and of course a car is expensive and might be considered an actual investment. 

Clothing is available here but often cheap low quality. May as well stock up on and bring some slacks and dress shirts with you, as well as a few neck ties. Shoes also an issue go buy in Canada. Lastly on this note, at least a year's worth of personal hygiene items you like is worth the hassle to carry over. The crap here is just colored scented water. 

OO and God Bless You.

You can teach science. No problem. At an international school or even at a government English program.

An international school ('real' or in name only) is very unlikely to employ you to teach Science.  This is because you do not have any teaching qualifications and no teaching experience.  (I have a Master's degree in an engineering/Physics subject, but that doesn't automatically mean that I can teach the subject - being a Physics 'guru' doesn't mean that I can teach it).

As mentioned, most of the lower tier schools use Filipino teachers (who are typically qualified as teachers of that subject).  So if you really want to teach Science (as General Science for elementary grades or as a subject teacher for secondary grades?), then you should look to obtain a PGCE or teaching qualification after you graduate.  A teaching qualification teaches you 'how to teach' - it is a pedagogical course and IMHO, that's what you'll need.  A TEFL qualification will also be useful because many (most?) of your future students may not speak English as their L1 - mother tongue.

13 minutes ago, simon43 said:

An international school ('real' or in name only) is very unlikely to employ you to teach Science.  This is because you do not have any teaching qualifications and no teaching experience.  (I have a Master's degree in an engineering/Physics subject, but that doesn't automatically mean that I can teach the subject - being a Physics 'guru' doesn't mean that I can teach it).

As mentioned, most of the lower tier schools use Filipino teachers (who are typically qualified as teachers of that subject).  So if you really want to teach Science (as General Science for elementary grades or as a subject teacher for secondary grades?), then you should look to obtain a PGCE or teaching qualification after you graduate.  A teaching qualification teaches you 'how to teach' - it is a pedagogical course and IMHO, that's what you'll need.  A TEFL qualification will also be useful because many (most?) of your future students may not speak English as their L1 - mother tongue.

Maybe Pattaya is different, but there are guys all over BKK teaching at internationals with little to no experience. Probably a bit more competitive by the beach, even if it's a beach in Pattaya.

5 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Clothing is available here but often cheap low quality. May as well stock up on and bring some slacks and dress shirts with you, as well as a few neck ties. Shoes also an issue go buy in Canada. Lastly on this note, at least a year's worth of personal hygiene items you like is worth the hassle to carry over. The crap here is just colored scented water. 

That all seems totally unnecessary. Are you shopping exclusively at night markets or something?

4 hours ago, eldragon said:

That all seems totally unnecessary. Are you shopping exclusively at night markets or something?

I have my garments made, dealing directly with the Thai people who actually make clothes. I give them something to copy with instructions on the seams, pockets, zippers, etc.. Instructions plus a little money. Extra money, but not much extra. This is a lot to ask of someone just arriving. As for shoes, wide sizes are difficult to find. One might be okay if his/her size is a normal width and length. As for hygiene items, it's just an American thing I guess. Many "Euros" don't give it a second whiff or glance, but I learned in the USA that that's where the best are. Live and learn as they say. Do what you want and tell your Euro mates that if they think they might need a shower, they do. Same with their clothes, wash them when in any doubt. As for the rest, think about others is all we can say. OO and God Bless You

1 hour ago, BruceMangosteen said:

I have my garments made, dealing directly with the Thai people who actually make clothes. I give them something to copy with instructions on the seams, pockets, zippers, etc.. Instructions plus a little money. Extra money, but not much extra. This is a lot to ask of someone just arriving. As for shoes, wide sizes are difficult to find. One might be okay if his/her size is a normal width and length. As for hygiene items, it's just an American thing I guess. Many "Euros" don't give it a second whiff or glance, but I learned in the USA that that's where the best are. Live and learn as they say. Do what you want and tell your Euro mates that if they think they might need a shower, they do. Same with their clothes, wash them when in any doubt. As for the rest, think about others is all we can say. OO and God Bless You

I'll back you up on the shoes, but mostly b/c of price. Some brands- mostly Japanese ones- seem to stop just shy of 9.5 too. But one of my biggest regrets when I moved to Thailand was bringing too many clothes. There are passable tailors everywhere here and tons of stuff available on sales racks. I had to experiment a bit with toiletries to find the brands I like, but that's part of the experience of living abroad.

Maybe Pattaya is different, but there are guys all over BKK teaching at internationals with little to no experience. 

If it is a 'real' international school, then that school will be associated with a curriculum organisation, such as IB or WASC or similar.  That organisation requires that all teachers working in their associate schools have a teaching degree, teaching certification and several years of teaching experience in their subject area.  The schools are not allowed to employ teachers who do not meet these requirements (unless it is a short-term cover teacher).

Of course, there are no doubt many schools who are 'international' only in name. :ph34r:

Archived