How much rice.........?

JaiMaai

In a middle of a daydream the following useless questions occured to me.......

1. How many grains of rice do you get from 1 stalk of rice?

2. How many stalks of rice can you plant in 1 sq.m

3. How many servings of rice would you get from harvesting that single square metre (assuming 100% yield)

I guess what it boils down to is how much land would an average family of say 10 people (including extended family) need to be self suffcient in rice? ( before selling any surplus)

It is impossible to be so exact, there are to many verbals. We have kept 4 rai just for growing rice, that feeds a family of 4 and 3 dogs. We also give rice away at wedding and funerals, and to the monks.

There is no point growing rice to sell anymore, most people near me have to borrow money for the fertiliser etc and lost money on last years crop.

Small grains (rice, corn, etc) are normally measured by the weight of grain they produce over a given land area, rai, acre, hector, etc.

Different strains of rice produce different volume by weight and soil type and weather. Some rice varities make 1000 kilo per rai. others 500 kilo. How many would that feed , guess it depends on how much they like rice, age, size of family etc.

there is no exact answer as mentioned above.

On ‎19‎/‎1‎/‎2560 at 2:45 PM, JaiMaai said:

So, we're talking 4 or 5 rai.  If I've worked things out right thats (very) roughly 2 football fields. right?

Or in English money ,about 2 acre's ,2.5 rie is about 1 acre, an football pitch ( American ) is 1.1 acre.

Archived