Fact or Fiction Residence Visa?

This is really wierd, bizarre even. Can anyone shed any light on this?

I have seen posts on Thaivisa.com about obtaining a Residence Visa. I actually personally know a guy who has one.

I have been here for 3 years and wanted to apply. I have seen the requirements on the Thai Immigration Website http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php and even downloaded the Application From.

When I went to my regional Immigration Office yesterday to renew my 1 year visa extension I wanted to know if I could do it (apply for a Residence Visa) there or if I had to apply in Bangkok.

Their answer stunned me!

They said there is no such thing as a  Residence Visa. "You have to apply for visa extensions year by year" they said.

Well I said (my wife acting as interpreter) "the Residence Visa is shown on the Thai Government Immigration Website".

They said that at the moment this is just an idea. The government hasn't made the laws to allow this yet!

Now what's the truth here? What's going on?

This is totally mind-boggling!

Many thanks

You asked about the wrong thing. There is no residence visa. It is called permanent residency or residence permit.

You can only apply for it near the end of the year. Last year it was from October to the end of December. In the past has only been for a few weeks in December.

If you are working with a work permit and paying taxes that is needed to apply for permanent residency and married to a Thai you could apply for Thai citizenship.