Refrigerator Malfunction

JHolmesJr

If a refrigerator has been shut off for around 6 months, is it normal for it not to cool, chill and freeze ice for a couple of days after it is finally switched back on?

Is there some sort of a scientific (electrical/mechanical) explanation for this?

I figured that maybe the compressor needs 2-3 days to properly boot up and function the way it should.

Can anyone shed some light?

yes the lights come on…but initially there was no hum from the compressor and nothing was getting cooled to the extent it should.

And this was at the highest settings below and in the freezer. A tray of water left in the ice compartment still remained water after 2 days.

Then after 3 days or so, the compressor is now humming and its working as it should.

Just trying to figure if this is a warning that something might be degrading…..perhaps the freon gas is low or something. Any thoughts?

16 minutes ago, Arjen said:

The compressor from a fridge are usable as an normal air compressor (often used for paint brushing) But then they fail the oil what is solved in the gass. I can imagine the problem is there. The oil is condensing and collects at the lowest point. It needs a while, and a lot of compressor starts to move again...

you are on the right track but oil in a refrigerant cycle does never dissolve  and the small part that is pumped through the evaporator has to condense to provide lubrification of the compressor. what can happen after a long time not in use the oil can "resinate", loses its capability to lubricate and freezes the moving parts of the compressor. if it's a rotary compressor that usually means "good bye", in case of a piston compressor there's a chance, albeit a small one, that it works again after several starting attempts.

1 hour ago, Arjen said:

Thanks for this info Naam!

The information you and Crossy provide make me scared to reply.

there's no reason to be scared. after all you were correct in pointing to the principle of a potential problem.

Older worn compressors tend to stick when left for long periods of time unused. They will try to start and the internal overload will cut them out then cool off and try again. A sharp rap with a hammer on the sealed unit while it's trying to start gets them going.. sometimes u need a second or third

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Ah, Wirejerker, a man after my own heart, a rubber mallet is an essential part of any engineering toolkit :)

For sure.  And I'm glad you made the distinction.  Metal hammers for starters and engines.  Rubber hammer for appliances.  Don't want to void the warranty after all.

4 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

For sure.  And I'm glad you made the distinction.  Metal hammers for starters and engines.  Rubber hammer for appliances.  Don't want to void the warranty after all.

but it's quite difficult to dent a fridge compressor with any hammer  :smile:

13 minutes ago, Crossy said:

A good solid thump with the flat of the hand is reserved for delicate technology. I have used the handle of a screwdriver to free up stuck hard drives.

If so, that must have been well over 30 years ago when the actuator was a voice coil.  :)

1 hour ago, bankruatsteve said:

If so, that must have been well over 30 years ago when the actuator was a voice coil.  :)

It was more often than not drives that refused to spin up after a long rest. Power on and a sharp tap was followed by the distinctive sound of an ST-225 winding up, somewhat similar to an RB211 engine starting https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_RB211

Would have been late 80's as the drives were invariably auction purchases, they were the latest thing in 1984 :).

Have a look at the specs:- http://redhill.net.au/d/2.php

Archived