Is BKK Boring Without Street Vendors?

eldragon

4 minutes ago, perdido said:

...what an opinionated self satisfied man you seem to be.....hope the mighty (you) doesn't fall ......

You just have to know your place mate. The heart of the city is for high rollers/hard workers. They wear expensive clothes and try to make a career. It's not a retirementhouse for old farang who want cheap beer/girls and peeled fruit at their doorstep.

Those can sell their condo for 3-4-5 times what they paid and buy one back in the subs, or pattaya where it's much cheaper to live and loads of streetfood still is available.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Get Real said:

What a terrible problem it must be for you. I really feel for you. What did the street vendor do, more than bring life to the city?
Now you got the same empty and boring sterlile world that is in every other country. I came here for lining the simple and easy life as this country can bring people.
Buy taking away the street vendors a part of the country´s soul died with it too.

Well then it's time to move on and find a better place. I heard good things about cambodia and much cheaper there...or Laos, or venezuela.

For all of you severely laboring under the sad misimpression that it is farang that are clinging to food stalls and street food, that's a pretty good laugh.

There is no Thai food cart in BKK that owes its existence to farang. Too lol.

Farang eat all sorts of trash that's why after 1,2,5 years here they weigh as much as when they arrived. Brits are horrible offenders here, honestly they can't handle the heat. But the worst are the sugar addicts and those that just can't deal with rice despite living in the middle of the Rice Bowl.

Farang eat Thai when they must. It's that simple. They all try to hide the fact, but it's still a fact.

What a terrible problem it must be for you. I really feel for you. What did the street vendor do, more than bring life to the city?
Now you got the same empty and boring sterlile world that is in every other country. I came here for lining the simple and easy life as this country can bring people.
Buy taking away the street vendors a part of the country´s soul died with it too.

I live smack in the middle of Nana Plaza and soi cowboy..empty
And sterile.. AHAHAHAHAH!

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, YeahSiam said:

You mean you can't afford it, right?

Stick to Mama noodles, mate

Mate...English. English don't eat Thai food. 

I had some absolutely amazing phad kaprow moo chin site pik at 945 this morning. It was heaven, it was also b30 at work.

What is it...The cost of everything and the value of nothing?

1 minute ago, ozmeldo said:

Farang eat Thai when they must. It's that simple. They all try to hide the fact, but it's still a fact.

I eat what i want, nobody tells me what to eat and i also don't care for what it costs.

I like rice but not every day, never eat streetfood except some fruit sometimes.

Also i have no problems with streetfoodvendors except the ones who block sidewalks and sell crap. There are plenty markets and foodcourts and restaurants in BKK. I cook a lot myself though which costs much more than a foodcourt.

Some forummembers want BKK to stay as it was 20 years ago...500 baht girls, sangsom a bottle for 50 baht and you were even allowed to bring it in a bar where you could mix it with coke and ice.

Also they like to believe that ALL thai are poor, even the ones who work in Sukhumvit.

My wife was there yesterday in a 5star hotel for a seminar...free buffet and after that she could call it a day (after buying me 1000 baht saucages for the freezer).

15 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Well then it's time to move on and find a better place. I heard good things about cambodia and much cheaper there...or Laos, or venezuela.

Lol. Only heard, never been.

The food in those countries cannot even be compared to Thai food. Obviously clueless even to suggest.

2 minutes ago, fruitman said:

I eat what i want, nobody tells me what to eat and i also don't care for what it costs.

I like rice but not every day, never eat streetfood except some fruit sometimes.

Also i have no problems with streetfoodvendors except the ones who block sidewalks and sell crap. There are plenty markets and foodcourts and restaurants in BKK. I cook a lot myself though which costs much more than a foodcourt.

Some forummembers want BKK to stay as it was 20 years ago...500 baht girls, sangsom a bottle for 50 baht and you were even allowed to bring it in a bar where you could mix it with coke and ice.

Also they like to believe that ALL thai are poor, even the ones who work in Sukhumvit.

My wife was there yesterday in a 5star hotel for a seminar...free buffet and after that she could call it a day (after buying me 1000 baht saucages for the freezer).

It Idoesn't matter what I want or even the Thai living next to me. Far greater things are involved in growth and urban development.

I'm married, Thermae 1 is long gone. Food carts hopefully will be around for years to come.

Mighty white of you to pronounce to the Thai what should be bought and sold on the capital streets.

7 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Wow, a lifestyle so wrong.

Good luck with the marriage. Sounds like you two don't eat together or at least eat the same thing. She eats proper food, you eat fatty sausages. You're a fish out of water.

2 hours ago, BsBs said:

Where have they disappeared ? I still see them everywhere !

Anyway, true that they will miss to tourist, but most of them being dirty cheap low so people not being able to clean where they shiiite, they just deserve to lose their shop and job !

Time for these street dogs to learn that you can be Thai and clean !

I beg you pardon,are calling Thais,street dogs.Disgraceful.

Okay, here's my tuppence worth; As an occasional visitor to Bangkok I liked the street vendors, they added character to the city. If I want bland, sterile, shiney malls I can go to any western city, or Singapore. What I didn't like was the narrowed pathway and having to duck under canopies erected by short arse Thais, so my solution to keep tourists and local farangs happy is to close one carriageway of Sukhumvit for the nighttime traders to set up stalls. 

The market that used to be in front of, and down the side of, the Big C in Ratchada was closed down too, but they've now set up on the vacant lot next door, there is always a solution that keeps all parties happy.

I'll be passing through Bangkok again in a few days, I'll take a look at the market scene to see if it is thriving elsewhere.

8 hours ago, gdgbb said:

Open drains?  Where?  Which pavements are in such poor condition?  There's nothing much wrong with Sukhumvit or Silom pavements.

Anyone who thinks the pavement on Sukhumvit is okay has been in Thailand a looooong time.  Even rat infested dumps become "okay" after you've lived next to one for too many years.  I work at Asoke, and walked to Nana just last night.  It wasn't okay.

35 minutes ago, ozmeldo said:

For all of you severely laboring under the sad misimpression that it is farang that are clinging to food stalls and street food, that's a pretty good laugh.

There is no Thai food cart in BKK that owes its existence to farang. Too lol.

Farang eat all sorts of trash that's why after 1,2,5 years here they weigh as much as when they arrived. Brits are horrible offenders here, honestly they can't handle the heat. But the worst are the sugar addicts and those that just can't deal with rice despite living in the middle of the Rice Bowl.

It is only fact in your mind,nothing to do with reality.I have been eating Thai 95% of the time for 41 years.

34 minutes ago, ozmeldo said:

Lol. Only heard, never been.

The food in those countries cannot even be compared to Thai food. Obviously clueless even to suggest.

Well Malaysia and Indonesia have much better food than Thai and it's also a lot cheaper there.

40 minutes ago, ozmeldo said:

Mate...English. English don't eat Thai food. 

I had some absolutely amazing phad kaprow moo chin site pik at 945 this morning. It was heaven, it was also b30 at work.

What is it...The cost of everything and the value of nothing?

You don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Just another berk with a big mouth and not much else to back it up

You think you're smart for eating lots of street food, day, day out but you're letting yourself in for a whole world of hurt.

Read this then come back and tell us how smart you are.

https://paleorobbie.com/post?id=14

Thailand is one of the best places in the world to eat cheap and delicious food. But if you’re eating any of the 5 items listed in this article on a daily basis, you're seriously compromising your health and well-being.

Here are 5 foods that most expats living in Thailand eat everyday but don't know the health risk they are running.

10 minutes ago, impulse said:

Anyone who thinks the pavement on Sukhumvit is okay has been in Thailand a looooong time.  Even rat infested dumps become "okay" after you've lived next to one for too many years.  I work at Asoke, and walked to Nana just last night.  It wasn't okay.

Has to be the worst stretch in BKK. I will concede there is nothing but crap and it's all hawked to farang.

You obviously work in the area. I'm curious, a school? There is a school in this area If very much like a shot at.

Anyway, this area has been screwed up since forever. If you go there you have to know what you are getting into and suffer it.

I once had an acquaintance who lived down there, top dollar too. Could have been living in Pattaya in an ocean front condo. People are so weird. I can't think of a worse place to live. The docks of Klong Toei maybe?

4 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

It is only fact in your mind,nothing to do with reality.I have been eating Thai 95% of the time for 41 years.

I studiously avoid the western fast food crap and eat healthy Thai food, admittedly most of it is in Central Isaan where it's generally better than Bagnkok street food. I lose all the weight I gained on my trips back to my homeland, and feel better for it. I've even eaten the bugs on offer, my preference being the crunchy crickets rather than the chewy larvae, of whatever insect it is! I let my missus be my guide, she does all the food purchasing, at Thai prices and tailored to my tastes (Not so spicey that it takes the skin off the roof of my mouth, and without Pa'la!)

7 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Well Malaysia and Indonesia have much better food than Thai and it's also a lot cheaper there.

No they don't. I've spent lots of time in both. I've lived in Indonesia. Not even close. What separates Thai and Viet is fresh herbs. Thailand has literally hundreds of dishes, thousands...

The problem here is the unavoidable conflict between the people who want to live in the old traditional Thailand and those who want to live in a clean modern city.  For many years BKK managed to fulfil both desires simultaneously but I am guessing that land grabbing by the rich and powerful has reached the same proportion as it has in many other capitals of the world.  Constantly rising prices are making BKK uninhabitable for poorer families who cannot afford to shop in the air conditioned "comfort" of modern shops. It seems to me sadly inevitable that the charm of chaos and hand built shacks will over time give way to the concrete jungle.  There is already very little that distinguishes BKK from any European capital - the next to go will be the tuk tuks - at least in terms of transport for families and ordinary people - I am sure a few, highly regulated and overpriced, will be preserved as tourist attractions.  Cities worldwide are losing local populations - London lost it decades ago, Paris and Amsterdam are now changing fast and they too are losing the charm and atmosphere that made them a place where you could enjoy being alive.

7 minutes ago, ThaiKneeTim said:

I studiously avoid the western fast food crap and eat healthy Thai food, admittedly most of it is in Central Isaan where it's generally better than Bagnkok street food. I lose all the weight I gained on my trips back to my homeland, and feel better for it. I've even eaten the bugs on offer, my preference being the crunchy crickets rather than the chewy larvae, of whatever insect it is! I let my missus be my guide, she does all the food purchasing, at Thai prices and tailored to my tastes (Not so spicey that it takes the skin off the roof of my mouth, and without Pa'la!)

That larvae is silk worms,lightly fried,yum.

5 minutes ago, YeahSiam said:

You don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Just another berk with a big mouth and not much else to back it up

You think you're smart for eating lots of street food, day, day out but you're letting yourself in for a whole world of hurt.

Read this then come back and tell us how smart you are.

https://paleorobbie.com/post?id=14

Not even bothered to hit that link. Seriously? That's the best you've got? Yes, Indeed you eat no Thai. Confirmed. Let's now rationalize it. The British with all their alcohol issues lecturing the world on what? Fatty pork, msg and salt? Cooked in palm oil? Revelation! Most likely you smoke as well.

4 minutes ago, gbswales said:

There is already very little that distinguishes BKK from any European capital - the next to go will be the tuk tuks - at least in terms of transport for families and ordinary people

European cities are developed, can't compare them with BKK. Europe has rules for everything and it works to keep the cities liveable and safe. Also It has real police, not some guys in uniforms who do nothing all day.

Europe has real streets everywhere with sidewalks and parks. Good drains, tree's, no soidogs, no idiots racing around, everything is organised...BKK is a chaotic mess without any law or rules.

And tuktuk's are already gone mate, since 10 years...taxi's are cheaper so who'll take a tuktuk?

The problem here is the unavoidable conflict between the people who want to live in the old traditional Thailand and those who want to live in a clean modern city.  For many years BKK managed to fulfil both desires simultaneously but I am guessing that land grabbing by the rich and powerful has reached the same proportion as it has in many other capitals of the world.  Constantly rising prices are making BKK uninhabitable for poorer families who cannot afford to shop in the air conditioned "comfort" of modern shops. It seems to me sadly inevitable that the charm of chaos and hand built shacks will over time give way to the concrete jungle.  There is already very little that distinguishes BKK from any European capital - the next to go will be the tuk tuks - at least in terms of transport for families and ordinary people - I am sure a few, highly regulated and overpriced, will be preserved as tourist attractions.  Cities worldwide are losing local populations - London lost it decades ago, Paris and Amsterdam are now changing fast and they too are losing the charm and atmosphere that made them a place where you could enjoy being alive.

You say very little to distinguish between bangkok and European capitols?
How bout the thousand beer bars, Nana Plaza and soi cowboy? Not to mention thousands of cheap feeds in the malls

It's a long way from European capitals however the gap is closing but only with the help of the military.. But after that it may start sliding again

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

I really like street vendors.It gives BKK an Asian feeling you cannot get other places.I love the congestion and hustle.   It gave BKK a pulse like none other.I still remember my first time in BKK came in at midnight and was over whelmed by a lively vibrant city of street life that i never experienced before any where in the world. I want to  be able to see that for ever.  If I wanted sterile open spaces I would not have came here.