Eye Sore Of An Extension

Hi

My girlfriend and family are a little annoyed over a neighbour’s extension. They have ran a business from home for a while which everyone on the estate hasn't minded because it has been done within the home with no exterior changes. They make T-Shirts I believe.

However over the last few weeks an extension has been built onto the house which as transformed what was a lovely home into a factory. It's 2 stories high and has blocked the light on the main part of our garden, worse than this they have built a toilet on the dividing wall of the garden which presumable is for the employees, which is about 8ft away from our kitchen. The surrounding wall to the premises was a nice 5ft white wall; this now has 6ft high 3 x 2 steel sections on top which I can only presume is to raise the wall for protection. Basically it looks a complete mess and in my opinion if they have the money to do this then they should have built or bought premises else where specifically for their business.

None of the neighbours have been contacted about this, the neighbour in question hasn't had the decency to inform us or anyone else for that matter.

My girlfriend believes she can complain about this but is not sure which department she would contact. Can anyone point us in the right direction?

I have pointed out that she ought to get a few neighbours on her side before complaining though.

Where are in Bangbon/Bangkok

Any advice appreciated.

Edited by ltdknowledge

The OP doesn't realize he's left his home country! :D

I don't find that funny - although one should be aware that boundaries and property usage are open to interpretation. An issue like this can be incredibly stressful. I hope that everything works out okay.

Dan Boy, you miss the point. The OP is going into this situation with the mindset of a westerner. I would counsel him to get a few more years under his belt living here before he tries to tackle this problem, or shut up and listen to the wife.

The Thai live under entirely different social standards when it comes to how your neighbor is affected by things you do on your own property. All you have to do is walk down any street in Bangkok to see how f*cked up the "rights of way" (sidewalks) are, and safety concerns (low hanging high voltage wires, awning pole-ends at eye level, etc.).

In my opinion, he's got a long, hard rancorous road ahead if he tries handling this the "western" way. Yes, you are definitely right when you counsel "open to interpretation." That's the understatement of the decade in SE Asia. :o

Edited by toptuan

There isn’t anything you or your gf can do, unless your estate has a CC&Rs (that state what you can and can not do with your property), included with the chanote when you first bought the property.

CC&Rs = conditions, covenants, and restrictions

This little law binding booklet controls certain aspects of property use within the development, often including over the construction of new homes and alterations of existing ones. When a person buys a home in such a development, the person receives a copy of the CC&R’s and agrees to be bound by their terms. Thus, the CC&R’s form an enforceable contract between the homeowners as a whole and the individual homeowners.

And without having this CC&Rs....The only thing you can do is to complain only on any building regulations violation(s) set by the city building dept…. that including but not limit to - sets back, building codes, or residential (non business) zoning violations,etcs.

Best of luck

Edited by teacup

There isn’t anything you or your gf can do, unless your estate has a CC&Rs (that state what you can and can not do with your property), included with the chanote when you first bought the property.

CC&Rs = conditions, covenants, and restrictions

This little law binding booklet controls certain aspects of property use within the development, often including over the construction of new homes and alterations of existing ones. When a person buys a home in such a development, the person receives a copy of the CC&R’s and agrees to be bound by their terms. Thus, the CC&R’s form an enforceable contract between the homeowners as a whole and the individual homeowners.

And without having this CC&Rs....The only thing you can do is to complain only on any building regulations violation(s) set by the city building dept…. that including but not limit to - sets back, building codes, or residential (non business) zoning violations,etcs.

Best of luck

Thanks.

The OP doesn't realize he's left his home country! :D

I don't find that funny - although one should be aware that boundaries and property usage are open to interpretation. An issue like this can be incredibly stressful. I hope that everything works out okay.

Dan Boy, you miss the point. The OP is going into this situation with the mindset of a westerner. I would counsel him to get a few more years under his belt living here before he tries to tackle this problem, or shut up and listen to the wife.

The Thai live under entirely different social standards when it comes to how your neighbor is affected by things you do on your own property. All you have to do is walk down any street in Bangkok to see how f*cked up the "rights of way" (sidewalks) are, and safety concerns (low hanging high voltage wires, awning pole-ends at eye level, etc.).

In my opinion, he's got a long, hard rancorous road ahead if he tries handling this the "western" way. Yes, you are definitely right when you counsel "open to interpretation." That's the understatement of the decade in SE Asia. :o

Read the first line. (My girlfriend and her family) Get off you high horse!

Edited by ltdknowledge

We have thought about expanding our home on our property, but we are concerned that some of the plots around us may change hands and turn into something we won't like. TIT, no control.

Unless one buys properties in a gated community, there is very little one can do about one's neighbors. In our town we are concerned that a pig farm of tall apartment building could go up around us at any time. I'm told that there is nothing that can be done unless the neighbors all agree to put pressure on the land owner.

The earlier advice to talk to other neighbors is good, but in the OP's situation, it seems as though his girlfriend's home is the only one immediately affected in such an unpleasant way. I guess this is a reason for people to keep their neighbors close, in order to know about any plans to build something unpleasant. If they think of you as "family" they may be more considerate. Maybe.

Once the building is up it's a little too late.

Hi

My girlfriend and family are a little annoyed over a neighbour’s extension. They have ran a business from home for a while which everyone on the estate hasn't minded because it has been done within the home with no exterior changes. They make T-Shirts I believe.

However over the last few weeks an extension has been built onto the house which as transformed what was a lovely home into a factory. It's 2 stories high and has blocked the light on the main part of our garden, worse than this they have built a toilet on the dividing wall of the garden which presumable is for the employees, which is about 8ft away from our kitchen. The surrounding wall to the premises was a nice 5ft white wall; this now has 6ft high 3 x 2 steel sections on top which I can only presume is to raise the wall for protection. Basically it looks a complete mess and in my opinion if they have the money to do this then they should have built or bought premises else where specifically for their business.

None of the neighbours have been contacted about this, the neighbour in question hasn't had the decency to inform us or anyone else for that matter.

My girlfriend believes she can complain about this but is not sure which department she would contact. Can anyone point us in the right direction?

I have pointed out that she ought to get a few neighbours on her side before complaining though.

Where are in Bangbon/Bangkok

Any advice appreciated.

Tipping the labour department of Illegal/unregistrated workers, Town planning for UN authorised extensions,

Informing the sanitary department of foul smell, etc, etc, there is no end to how many complaints you can make,

However, there are couple of fine point to contemplate before you go ahead and make a complaint to any relevant Authorities,

A. they might be already in their pocket sort of speak, B. your neighbour can get nasty and vindictive on you,