Roof rack for kayak?

hitthegroundrunning

Be careful.  After years of traveling around with a kayak on my pickup's roof resulting in nothing worse than some 200 baht checkpoint shakedowns, they no longer let me on the tollways (and the motorway) with a kayak on top.  Driving from BKK to just about anywhere east is a nightmare on the surface roads, making the kayak just about useless for most weekend outings.

I can't predict what would happen if I tried again tomorrow, or next week.  But it's a bummer to get all packed up for a kayak trip, then have to leave the kayak at the apartment.  And, of course, I don't know the rules in Phuket.

FYI, I got my removable (generic but sturdy) plain vanilla racks for around 2500 baht from one of the many auto accessory shops around Khlong Thom market in Chinatown BKK.  They also have the permanent racks for specific vehicles, so I can't imagine one of the go-faster and smell-better shops in Phuket couldn't hook you up. 

Be careful.  After years of traveling around with a kayak on my pickup's roof resulting in nothing worse than some 200 baht checkpoint shakedowns, they no longer let me on the tollways (and the motorway) with a kayak on top.  Driving from BKK to just about anywhere east is a nightmare on the surface roads, making the kayak just about useless for most weekend outings.

I can't predict what would happen if I tried again tomorrow, or next week.  But it's a bummer to get all packed up for a kayak trip, then have to leave the kayak at the apartment.  And, of course, I don't know the rules in Phuket.

FYI, I got my removable (generic but sturdy) plain vanilla racks for around 2500 baht from one of the many auto accessory shops around Khlong Thom market in Chinatown BKK.  They also have the permanent racks for specific vehicles, so I can't imagine one of the go-faster and smell-better shops in Phuket couldn't hook you up. 

On tollways it is illegal, but we don't have those. So here on all roads a kayak on the roof is ok.

Sent from my ROBBY using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

10 minutes ago, stevenl said:

On tollways it is illegal, but we don't have those. So here on all roads a kayak on the roof is ok.

Good to know, but I also got shaken down on a lot of surface roads at checkpoints on my weekend jaunts.  Easier to cough up the 2-300 baht than argue with the popo.  Someone braver may have won the arguments.  Again, That's between BKK, Hua-Hin, Pattaya, Koh Chang and Kanchanaburi.  I can't speak for anyone else's experiences or any other locations.  

Edit:  and I'm surprised how many times over a couple of years I got onto and off of the tollways without issues before they started turning me around at the entry toll booths.

Archived