Thai Chinese people in Bangkok to spend over 6.4 billion baht to celebrate Chinese New Year

rooster59

Thai Chinese people in Bangkok to spend over 6.4 billion baht to celebrate Chinese New Year

167_Chinese-New-Year.jpg

The upcoming Chinese New Year next week will see Thais of Chinese descent in Bangkok spending over six billion baht in celebrations of their traditional festival and holiday.

This year the Chinese New Year falls on January 26.

In Bangkok, several age-old traditions, passed down by their ancestors, activities, and celebrations will be held at the century old China Town or locally known as Yaowarat to mark the festival. However activities will be scaled down and no entertainments will be held as the country is still mourning the passing of the beloved King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

However, despite of less activities, the Kasikorn Bank Research Center forecast that there will be an increase in spending for offerings by Thai-Chinese in Bangkok.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thai-chinese-people-bangkok-spend-6-4-billion-baht-celebrate-chinese-new-year/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-01-22

So will it suddenly be OK and approved to wear nice bright yellow and red colours? That suddenly becomes permissible, does it?

I am so glad I have authorities that tell me what and when and how and for how long I can and should wear certain clothes and colours. I welcome that sage guidance in my daily life ...

Suddenly the final words of Nineteen Eighty-Four came into my head: 'I love Big Brother'. Can't think why!

Edited by Eligius

3 hours ago, Toronto said:

How can they know this? I'm serious. How is it possible to know the ethnicity of a purchaser? How do you then tabulate a total? 

Same way they tabulate everything else !   They guestimate a figure for last year and then, despite household debts and the need for savings, they simply add on a certain percentage so as to give the illusion that everything is progressing nicely and that everybody is happy.  After the Chinese New Year, if not during it, they will announce that they have exceeded their target.

Funny how they over estimate how much money will be spent at Chinese New Year but under estimate how many road deaths there will be at normal New Year.  Could be something to do with bigger interest in money coming in than the value of Human Lives going out methinks  !!

1 hour ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

Same way they tabulate everything else !   They guestimate a figure for last year and then, despite household debts and the need for savings, they simply add on a certain percentage so as to give the illusion that everything is progressing nicely and that everybody is happy.  After the Chinese New Year, if not during it, they will announce that they have exceeded their target.

Probably something like that, but it's impossible to know the value of purchases made by Thais of Chinese extraction. I think they just kind of throw out some positive sounding numbers. Kind of a "feel good" thing. It's a bit silly. Like guesstimating how much Muslim Americans will fork out during Ramadan. But the again, Thai tourism officials seem to have some sort of fixation on which tourists spend a lot. I've seen stories along that line recently. 

Yes..fireworks.. Dec 31st is recognised as the main New Year's Eve worldwide, yet fireworks were not allowed in respect of the former king... Will this ruling  be waivered for the Chinese.. (& the ear-splitting crackers been lit everywhere from about 3am onwards)..?

5 hours ago, Toronto said:

How can they know this? I'm serious. How is it possible to know the ethnicity of a purchaser? How do you then tabulate a total? 

Our sweet lady at TAT, she knows all about this money number thing as very good with numbers

Chinese spending for the new year up.

Economic growth up.

Tourist numbers up.

Exports up.

Road deaths up.

Corruption level up.

Street violence up.

Petty robbery up.

Road rage and shootings up.

Is there anything in this wonderland of Thailand that isn't up? 

3 hours ago, Brer Fox said:

Chinese spending for the new year up.

Economic growth up.

Tourist numbers up.

Exports up.

Road deaths up.

Corruption level up.

Street violence up.

Petty robbery up.

Road rage and shootings up.

Is there anything in this wonderland of Thailand that isn't up? 

Thainess 

A third of the Thais' DNA is Chinese.  Ask an educated Thai, they will tell you that 700 years ago the Haka Chinese emigrated to to a place that is is now called Thailand, the reason why the superstition, language, culture, mindset are similar.  

The reason why Thailand is celebrationing Chinese New Year.

Edited by gadget monger
left out a sentence

8 hours ago, gadget monger said:

A third of the Thais' DNA is Chinese.  Ask an educated Thai, they will tell you that 700 years ago the Haka Chinese emigrated to to a place that is is now called Thailand, the reason why the superstition, language, culture, mindset are similar.  

The reason why Thailand is celebrationing Chinese New Year.

While there are some Hakkas in Thailand, they are not the group that came 700 years ago. Those were the Tai ethnic group from modern day Yunnan. The Thai and Tai culture is similar. But these Thais now don't claim Chinese heritage as they were only a minority in China.

The "Thai Chinese" referred to here are the ethnic Han Chinese, coming in the last century or so from coastal areas of China. While well assimilated into Thai society, they traditionally have very different from superstition, language, culture and mindset from Thais.

The differences in Chinese groups is just as varied as the differences between different Europeans.

On 1/21/2017 at 10:26 PM, hansnl said:

Thai-Chinese or Chinese-Thai?

Dthai Chinese is the largest minority in China and are the Thai people who were chased out of China by the majority Han....

Are they talking about the Han (majority China) or the Dthai (majority Thailand)? ?