Import Bike from Thailand to U.S.

jeffconnors

There are a few cool bikes sold in Thailand that are not available in the U.S. Has anyone shipped one to the U.S. that is not U.S. specs?  I can ship one back in my household goods shipment so Customs may not be an issue but I want to be able to license and insure it for riding also. Thanks.

Wanted to ship a car back from Germany but when I found out the EPA testing and certification requirement for an non US spec cars quickly gave up that idea

Most likely the same restrictions apply to  Asian manufactured motorcycles.  Duty is minimal but American emissions checks are a nightmare to deal with and in order to legally register it you will have to bring it up to US specifications as detailed here:

What is required to permanently import a motorcycle from a foreign country?

Before you decide to import a motorcycle into the United States, you should ensure it conforms to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Department of Transportation (DOT)regulations. These agencies have very detailed requirements that can make importing a motorcycle difficult. EPA advises importers of motorcycles to obtain a letter or certificate from the manufacturer stating it conforms to U.S. standards. If it is imported into the U.S. and does not conform, it must be brought into compliance before it can clear Customs and Border Protection (CBP), as well as, be legally registered, used and or sold in the U.S.

source:https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/297/~/permanently-importing-a-motorcycle