Lao Work Permit / Visa for temp work

raro

What is the most sensible approach for performing work in Laos here and there...like going for a week one a month as part of a job mostly performed in Thailand?

In Thailand we have a temporary work permit for this, which is relatively easy to obtain. Any equivalent in Laos?

On 1/2/2560 at 8:32 AM, raro said:

I tried to make some more research on this, but didn't really get any further....

So how to get a multiple entry visa to Laos?

If you plan to work in Laos for only a week a month, I wouldn't even bother with a business visa and/or work permit. Chances are that the Immigration Police will never notice, and if by chance you do get a visit, you can claim to be a 'volunteer' for a few days. This is acceptable in Laos.

However, if you want to go fully legit,  your employer will need to apply for a LA-B2 business visa for you from the nearest provincial Immigration Police office. Your employer will need to provide his or her Commercial, Tax & Company licenses, as well as 3 copies of your passport and six 3x4 of your passport photos. The Immigration office will issue the standard application form and covering letter for you, which you present to the border immigration the next time you enter Laos. The application and covering letter is valid to present to the border immigration for 30 days only after the date stamp on them.

You will still need to buy a standard 30 day tourist visa ($30) to enter Laos. Once arrived, your employer will take your passport back to the provincial Immigration Police office. It takes 3-4 weeks for your LA-B2 business visa sticker to be processed at Vientiane Capital immigration.

LA-B2 visas are good for 12 months (expiry date on the sticker) and are unlimited multi-entry.

You can choose whether to have a 12 / 6 / 3 month LA-B2 multi entry business visa.

When you receive your passport back with your new LA-B2 business visa, you will also receive a small yellow Stay Permit card, and a small blue Work permit card - also valid for 12 months running concurrently with the LA-B2 visa.

Price wise - a 12 month multi entry LA-B2 visa will cost approx $500 USD (give or take...it varies between provinces) :-)

regards

PS: no 90 day reporting required

Edited by LuukKoeyKorat

Hi Raro

Yup - your passport would fill up so quickly with the 30 day Tourist Visa stickers once a month :-)

You would be better off getting the yearly LA-B2 business visa. Indeed - the provincial immigration office will have your passport for 3-4 weeks (they can only send it to Vientiane head office for the sticker). I think the quickest I ever had my business visa processed was 2 weeks....Lao time ;-)

So if you do decide to take the yearly visa option, maybe plan in a nice month holiday in Laos whilst you wait for return of your passport with new LA-B2...?  :-)

regards

Quick addition - as the previous poster mentioned, there are agencies that will run and provide you with a Lao multi entry one year visa - at a cheaper price. However as was warned in previous threads - these are NOT legit, and you will be fined and deported if you are caught out. I am not even sure if these dodgy visas come with the Work or Stay permits....it is in these permits where your place of employment and type of work is registered.