Help To Start

HI! I've always wanted to come and see Thailand but because travelling is quite expensive I'm planning to work there for three months and than to travel. I hope I wouldn't have a problem to get a job there. My problem is that I don't have a clue what to do to get a work permit. :o Can anyone tell me what to start from? I'd be very grateful if someone told me what to do step by step. Thanks!

Step 1: Find a job.

Step 2: If you did not enter Thailand on a non-immigrant visa, go to the local immigration office and change your visa stauts to non-immigrant, or get a non-immigrant visa B from a Thai consulate in the region.

Step 3: Ask your employer to get the work permit for you.

Step 4: Now you are allowed to work.

--

Maestro

Thankd for your quick reply !;]

First of all I haven't entered Thailand yet and I understand that I can get a non-immigrant visa from the embassy in my country. That I hope shouldn't be a problem. I'm just worried about the work permit. If I'm just going to go there look around and then decide where I want to work how long would it take before I can start working. Can I work while waitinf for the permit? Or is it beter to try to get it before I enter Thailand?

All of this, of course, depends on exactly what sort of work you are planning on doing. . . .

G

Thankd for your quick reply !;]

First of all I haven't entered Thailand yet and I understand that I can get a non-immigrant visa from the embassy in my country. That I hope shouldn't be a problem. I'm just worried about the work permit. If I'm just going to go there look around and then decide where I want to work how long would it take before I can start working. Can I work while waitinf for the permit? Or is it beter to try to get it before I enter Thailand?

I've been a restaurant manager for the last year and a half so hopefully something connected with that. But honestly I don't mind. My dream is to see as much as possible of Thailand and I will take any position in hospitality. Does it make much difference?

For 3 months do not believe anyone would be interested in providing the time/expense of obtaining a work permit for you (they are specific for the job and there are a number of conditions that have to be met). If you work without a permit you will be subject to arrest if that is your "much difference" question.

HI! I've always wanted to come and see Thailand but because travelling is quite expensive I'm planning to work there for three months and than to travel. I hope I wouldn't have a problem to get a job there. My problem is that I don't have a clue what to do to get a work permit. :o Can anyone tell me what to start from? I'd be very grateful if someone told me what to do step by step. Thanks!

You dont say which country you are in at the moment but if it is USA or EU or AUS then you can earn more in 2 weeks than you are likely to earn in Thailand in 3 months without any hassels of getting a work permit or risk working without one.

In general work permits are only issued to people who have skills that can't be found locally and with all due respect Thailand is full of restaurants and managers.If you have a particular language skill you may get a job in a hotel but you'd have to do a lot of footwork to get it.

I would suggest you stay and work in your country (take an extra job if necessary) until you have enough money to travel in Thailand without the worry of work. Travelling and places to stay can be quite cheap in Thailand

Edited by Mahout Angrit

If you work without a permit you will be subject to arrest if that is your "much difference" question.

My "much difference" question didn't mean working without permit. I was asking if working in different areas makes much difference in obtaining work permit.

You and employer would still have to meet essentially the same requirements whatever the location in order to obtain a work permit. I believe the killer in your case is the very short period you plan to work. But can never say never and perhaps you could find short term employment. The amount you would earn however is probably less than your would spend so it might not be very productive.

I think you need to read a great deal more of this forum before you commit to anything.

You need to find out how much it will cost to live in Thailand and how much you could earn in Thailand. I think you have already been given some very good advice....make more money where you are now then go to Thailand.

Apparently the Thais only want foreigners to fill jobs that Thais can not fill...they don't want you to take away there opportunities.

It seems that OP merely wants to get some hints on how to do some "alternative hollydaying" for a measly 3 month-period ... By all means --- just grab whatever opportunity might get within reach --- and don't worry about whatever law might be relevant to what you do during those 3 months... The foreigner-related laws of Thailand are mainly tuned into handling the foreigners that want to go beyond short time commitments, so don't worry!

I think it is very safe and sound to believe that in case you should be caught in the act of breaking the WP'law - and your records clearly proves that you can't possibly have been been working in Thailand more than max a few months, you've nothing to fear besides a "black'ish" stamp somewhere, that is totally a non'issue since you only want to have a good time in Thailand for those 3 months you mention.

I'd really like to do all the thing legally. I suspect there is not much chance to get any job without the permit...

You need a job before applying for the permit.

No employer will go through that hassle for a restaurant related job especially for a short period of time.

read more about how it works in Thailand and you'll see what we area ll trying to tell you

Good luck

No employer will go through that hassle for a restaurant related job especially for a short period of time.

I don't know why everybody's stuck up on the short period of time she wants to work.

Just don't tell your prospective employer that!

Then, when you feel you have enough money to travel, just quit (or even walk out).

However, I agree with some poster above that you'd probably be able to save up more money in 2 to 4 weeks in a western country than in 3 months in Thailand.

These people who want to work in Thailand for around $1000 per month before taxes (sometimes for less than that) always strike me as odd. Personally, I'm saving up money here in the U.S. from a gross income roughly 10 times that amount and once I have enough savings I'll move to Thailand, with no intention of working at the local rates.

It would probably take longer to get the work permit than you are intending to work . . . . .

G

I'd really like to do all the thing legally. I suspect there is not much chance to get any job without the permit...

You need a job before applying for the permit.

read more about how it works in Thailand and you'll see what we area ll trying to tell you

Good luck