Orphaned teen boxer receives 70k baht donation, with help of English teacher and Facebook

webfact

Orphaned teen boxer receives 70k baht donation, with help of English teacher and Facebook

By Coconuts Bangkok 

boxer1.jpg

Photo: Sanook

KHON KAEN: -- A 14-year-old orphan in Khon Kaen has raised THB70,000 in cash donations and will receive a full scholarship. It all started when his English teacher shared a photo of the boy’s tattered uniform and asked his social media networks for help.

Somprawong "Yan" Wongdaeng, 14, lives with his sister and her husband, who is a Muay Thai fighter. Since the age of nine, Yan has been taught to box and has fought in over 100 matches to earn money. After each fight, he would receive compensation as low as THB500.

Prin Swiworasarn, his English teacher at Nongkham Pittayakom School, started an online campaign to raise donations for Yan after seeing the boy wear old pants to school that were held together with safety pins.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2017/01/27/orphaned-teen-boxer-receives-70k-baht-donation-help-english-teacher-and-facebook

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-01-27

1 hour ago, johninbkk71 said:

He earns at least 500 Baht a fight? Who keeps the money?

There are social support systems in place to provide poor students with money for schools and the price of uniforms are strictly controlled. 

A really negative, Scrooge type of comment on a good story, shame you can't see it and wish him well like the rest of us.

As, on average over the past 5 years, he has earned less than B850 per month it hardly matters who keeps it but let's assume that he and the family does, what 's your point?

What are those systems that his school apparently doesn't know about and whether school uniform prices are strictly controlled or not doesn't matter if  there's not enough money in the families budget to buy them.

21 hours ago, gdgbb said:

A really negative, Scrooge type of comment on a good story, shame you can't see it and wish him well like the rest of us.

As, on average over the past 5 years, he has earned less than B850 per month it hardly matters who keeps it but let's assume that he and the family does, what 's your point?

What are those systems that his school apparently doesn't know about and whether school uniform prices are strictly controlled or not doesn't matter if  there's not enough money in the families budget to buy them.

1. I just made a simple comment.  

2. Many children particularly young Muay Thai fighters risk serious injury and are exploited by their trainers and sadly their families.

3. The systems are in place; schools don't administer them outside agencies do.

4. I am sorry if you rose-colored colored glasses fell off.  

10 hours ago, johninbkk71 said:

1. I just made a simple comment.  

2. Many children particularly young Muay Thai fighters risk serious injury and are exploited by their trainers and sadly their families.

3. The systems are in place; schools don't administer them outside agencies do.

4. I am sorry if you rose-colored colored glasses fell off.  

1. Yes, a negative, unsympathetic comment.

2. There's no suggestion of that here.

3. Really? Which agency?

4. Didn't have them on, there was no need  for them.

12 hours ago, gdgbb said:

1. Yes, a negative, unsympathetic comment.

2. There's no suggestion of that here.

3. Really? Which agency?

4. Didn't have them on, there was no need  for them.

1. Your opinion (Couldn't care less)

2. I didn't say there was, but we do not have all the facts

3. Thailand's Student Loans Fund are administerd through the Social Welfare department

4. So you are just a sensitive soul

PS: This teacher violated this students privacy and published his picture all over the internet, but hey got his picture in the paper.  My wife taught me this Thai saying after she read this: Putting a gold leaf on the back of the Buddha image.

She also called something I shouldn't repeat. She grew up in area where there were many poor students and teachers helped them, including spending their own money, without the need for telling the whole world. 

Edited by johninbkk71

On 29/01/2017 at 3:13 PM, johninbkk71 said:

1. Your opinion (Couldn't care less)

2. I didn't say there was, but we do not have all the facts

3. Thailand's Student Loans Fund are administerd through the Social Welfare department

4. So you are just a sensitive soul

PS: This teacher violated this students privacy and published his picture all over the internet, but hey got his picture in the paper. 

Re your second question, you did suggest that there was something untoward going on just by asking it!

"...This teacher violated this students privacy..."

Really?  How do you know that the boy wasn't consulted beforehand?