Thai Gov Hospital 1.49million Baht Bill For a 10 Day Stay

Chao Lao Beach

In Krabi !!!!  I thought people traveled to Thailand for Medical stuff.

Family and friends are reaching out for help to bring home an Australian woman who remains in a Thai hospital 10 days after a motorcycle accident that left her fighting for life and struggling to pay thousands of dollars in medical bills.  Continued below.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-27/injured-australian-woman-dawn-weldon--stuck-in-thai-hospital/8218036

Here we go again, another brain dead tourist no insurance.

No license means no insurance, when will people stop and think before they hire motorbikes?

On facebook her friend is asking for funds to fly her home business class !! not plain old animal class.!!

2 minutes ago, colinneil said:

No license means no insurance, when will people stop and think before they hire motorbikes?

On facebook her friend is asking for funds to fly her home business class !! not plain old animal class.!!

She had comprehensive insurance.

The fact that she was riding a motorbike without a licence was the reason they will not touch her.

Just now, Thaiwrath said:

She had comprehensive insurance.

The fact that she was riding a motorbike without a licence was the reason they will not touch her.

Sorry you are wrong, she did not have insurance covering her for riding a motorbike.

The law is simple, no license, not covered by insurance.

7 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Sorry you are wrong, she did not have insurance covering her for riding a motorbike.

The law is simple, no license, not covered by insurance.

It's not the law, it's down to the rules of each insurance company which may well differ.

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Although the high flight cost is probably for evacuation cost, rather than business class

Even if it's not evacuation, with so many broken bones and casts she almost certainly wouldn't be able to get into an economy seat.

42 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Although the high flight cost is probably for evacuation cost, rather than business class

Her friend is clearly asking for funds for business class.

Check on facebook page this is thailand, it is there for all to see, no comment about evacuation costs.

1 minute ago, colinneil said:

Her friend is clearly asking for funds for business class.

Check on facebook page this is thailand, it is there for all to see, no comment about evacuation costs.

Although it does state that her travelling (home) costs have been quoted at $36 000 , which sounds more like an evacuation, rather than business class .

What happens to Thai people in this situation? It's difficult to relate to a hospital refusing to discharge her without payment in a "Government" setting. Since she can't just walk out, one has to wonder what's next? Depending on family and friends to come up with money is odd at best. The Hospital treated her, good on Thailand for that. She could have been denied treatment.

Just now, sanemax said:

Although it does state that her travelling (home) costs have been quoted at $36 000 , which sounds more like an evacuation, rather than business class .

I am not speaking about what the evacuation costs are.

I am stating what her friend is asking for.

I am not speaking about what the evacuation costs are.

I am stating what her friend is asking for.

Yes, but what she is asking for sounds more like evacuation costs, rather than business class , or are business class flights back to Oz $36 000 ?

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Yes, but what she is asking for sounds more like evacuation costs, rather than business class , or are business class flights back to Oz $36 000 ?

Instead of nit picking about this read the article yourself, on facebook ok.

Instead of nit picking about this read the article yourself, on facebook ok.

I did read the article and it quite clearly states "Evacuation"............ "The medical bill to date is over $56,000 and is not the final bill, and her travel has been quoted at around $36,000," said Ms Weldon's friend Donna Saalfeld, who flew from Brisbane to coordinate the medical evacuation. "

Medical evacuation for people who are seriously ill/injured  almost always requires business class..and, often, the removal of some seats. This is not a luxury, it is a necessity and part and parcel of med-evac. $36,000 is about average for a medi-evac.

Insurance policies vary as to whether they exclude motorcycle injuries, many internationally issued policies do not ... however all insurance policies exclude coverage for injuries sustained as a result of engaging in an illegal activity and driving without a valid license would count as that, so if she was the driver and lacked a valid license, that would explain it.

Costs in government hospitals can indeed easily go over 1 million baht, I have known much higher than that. This is what I keep telling people who think there is no need for insurance because they'll just use a government hospital in the belief all care in them is dirt cheap. That impression often comes from having experienced costs for something minor...but somehow people generalize that and assume  is indicative of all they'd ever need to pay.

I can believe it. In 2015 I spent 3 days being dosed up with antibiotics at Wippawadee hospital 100,000 baht! Went to Sirirat hospital 3500 for 7 days of antibiotics and a doctor who's English I could understand.
I will never go to a private hospital again.
They ate a business first hospital second. Disgusted.

Sent from my i-mobile_i-STYLE_219 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

1 hour ago, BruceMangosteen said:

What happens to Thai people in this situation? It's difficult to relate to a hospital refusing to discharge her without payment in a "Government" setting. Since she can't just walk out, one has to wonder what's next? Depending on family and friends to come up with money is odd at best. The Hospital treated her, good on Thailand for that. She could have been denied treatment.

Denied treatment even with several injuries and broken bones ? Emergency cant be denied IMO, but hey TIT who knows...

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

In her case yes she's stupid but Australians can use their Aussie car and motorbike licenses in Thailand and will be covered under their travel insurance 

1 hour ago, upside said:

In her case yes she's stupid but Australians can use their Aussie car and motorbike licenses in Thailand and will be covered under their travel insurance 

True but you also need to declare your intention to be riding a bike overseas which jacks your premium. Hate to be a narc but you see it in indo, thailand and all over Asia people go there get pissed, jump on something they have never operated, dont wear correct safety gear and generally come from countries where people will give way to a motorcycle. Then involve themselves in behaviours they would never undertake back home. Im not saying she was any of those things but she was definitely not covered in this instance. So, no pay out. Her family should be paying not crying poor.  Zero sympathy here

3 hours ago, 01322521959 said:

I can believe it. In 2015 I spent 3 days being dosed up with antibiotics at Wippawadee hospital 100,000 baht! Went to Sirirat hospital 3500 for 7 days of antibiotics and a doctor who's English I could understand.
I will never go to a private hospital again.
They ate a business first hospital second. Disgusted.

Sent from my i-mobile_i-STYLE_219 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Please note that this 1.49 million tab is at a government hospital.

They cost much less than private hospitals but it is still quite possible to wrack up bills in the millions of baht.

Insurance is a must.

I don't see the confusion here.

1.   She did not have an Australian motorcycle license nor a permit  to ride a motorcycle in Thaland. Obviously an inexperienced rider. I wonder if she was even wearing a helmet.

2.   She was originally in a Government hospital, but moved to a private one as they thought she was insured...She or her friends had not asked the insurance company first.

3.  They are asking for business class as they also need medical staff to accompany her back hence the large amount.

Thailand is the last place on earth anyone not experienced with motorbikes or Thai roads should even attempt to ride in.

I have been riding motorbikes for over 50 years and an Institute of Advanced Motorbike riders (IAMs) member but the only place I would ride in Thailand is Chiang Rai or Pai. For some reason, once on a motorbike tourists brains go into neutral.

While having every sympathy for her and her family, this is just another case of tourists thinking nothing ever happens to them. Very, very sad and I would imagine several lives ruined because of this.

http://honey.nine.com.au/2017/01/27/10/58/australian-woman-stuck-in-thailand

Edited by Flustered
spelling

9 hours ago, sanemax said:

If it's a case of fitting a special hospital bed and equipment including medical grade oxygen tanks, etc., various monitors, medical supplies and tools appropriate to the case and what might go wrong, obviously not free, and some airlines will only do this in business class, plus:

- In certain cases the airline insist the patient must be accompanied by a specially trained / certified doctor (meaning fees and return air fare and hotel room 1 or 2 nights).

- In certain cases also insist on a specially trained nurse (meaning fees and return air fare and hotel room 1 or 2 nights)

- Additional loading and unloading fees, plus ambulance transport both ends.

- Fees for additional medical reports needed to gain acceptance from the airline to take the sick passenger and other approvals.

- For some countries fees to immigration for special immigration visits / services.

- Country to country discussions / approvals, etc., not free.

I'm aware of a recent such case back to the UK, overall approaching 900,000Baht.

And in another case the receiving country has a law that patients transported like this must be taken immediately to a certain category of hospital for observation for several days (not free).

Edited by scorecard

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

If it's a case of fitting a special hospital bed and equipment including medical grade oxygen tanks, etc., various monitors, medical supplies and tools appropriate to the case and what might go wrong, obviously not free, and some airlines will only do this in business class, plus:

- In certain cases the airline insist the patient must be accompanied by a specially trained / certified doctor (meaning fees and return air fare and hotel room 1 or 2 nights).

- In certain cases also insist on a specially trained nurse (meaning fees and return air fare and hotel room 1 or 2 nights)

- Additional loading and unloading fees, plus ambulance transport both ends.

- Fees for additional medical reports needed to gain acceptance from the airline to take the sick passenger and other approvals.

- For some countries fees to immigration for special immigration visits / services.

- Country to country discussions / approvals, etc., not free.

I'm aware of a recent such case back to the UK, overall approaching 900,000Baht.

And in another case the receiving country has a law that patients transported like this must be taken immediately to a certain category of hospital for observation for several days (not free).

I just got reminded, the 900,000Baht did not include the business class air fares and hotel costs. 

That would depend on the policy conditions of the travel insurance.

sent using Tapatalk