Horror smash on Chonburi motorway but foreign father and son survive

webfact

Horror smash on Chonburi motorway but foreign father and son survive

3a.jpg

Picture: Daily News

CHONBURI: -- A foreign man and his four year old son survived a horrific smash on the Chonburi motorway yesterday evening.

The black Kia car driven by a man named as Joss Mead (named transliterated from Thai) ended up on the central barrier after

colliding with an 18 wheel truck.

3a1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Rescue personnel had to cut a four year old boy called Justin from the wreckage and he was sent to hospital. The father was unscathed.

The driver of the truck Charoen Ketthong, 25, said that the car had cut in front of him making it impossible for him to brake in time, reported Daily News.

Police are investigating.

Daily News did not report the nationality of the father and son.

The accident happened at KM marker 86 in the Bang Phra area of Sri Racha.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-02-01

The car cut in front of the lorry driver making it impossible for him to brake? Mmm ... would the car not have to be travelling faster than the lorry to cut in front of him? Or did the car just suddenly brake as soon as it got in front of the lorry? 

... or, was he driving too fast and slammed into the back of them? 

Doesn't really matter. If the foreigner wasn't in Thailand, it would never have happened ... so it must be his fault. 

A miracle he survived unscathed from that total wreckage!

I wonder how the car ended up between the the middle of the truck and the center barrier if the car cut in front of the truck and the truck was unable to break?

If a car cut in front of you closely and suddenly your immediate reaction would be to break, no? The picture suggest no braking took place until the car was thoroughly mangled against the barrier....

54 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

I wonder how the car ended up between the the middle of the truck and the center barrier if the car cut in front of the truck and the truck was unable to break?

If a car cut in front of you closely and suddenly your immediate reaction would be to break, no? The picture suggest no braking took place until the car was thoroughly mangled against the barrier....

I v'e seen it dozens of times, cars cutting if front of big trucks in Thailand. Always wondered how difficult it would be for the Truck driver to defend himself if there is no camera footage to prove what really happened...now I know, he is condemned in advance !!!

Edited by off road pat

From the picture- it appears the truck driver moved into the side of the car forcing it into the barrier. I have seen large trucks move from lane to lane on this highway at high speeds when they should be travelling at the speed limit in their reserved lanes. And yes, I have also seen it in the USA. There was a time when large trucks were driven by professonals. That is no longer the case.

The front of the truck does not appear damaged, which would be expected if hitting a slower  vehicle pulling in front of you. As mentioned truck wheels indicate truck may have been moving into the lane where impact took place (passing vehicle in other lane) and did not notice car until he hit and pushed him into divider.  There is a blind spot on trucks of this size for smaller vehicles once the engine cover of truck is past said small vehicle. I have seen this type accident happen several times in my travels here. If what the driver said is true he would have hit the car with cab of truck  not the trailer he was pulling.

When ever a farang is involved in a smash,it's our fault for pulling out in front of them.when ever they crash and no farang is involved it's brake failure or rain.warning to all,get a front view camera for a couple of thousand baht and if you do have a crash don't let anyone get their hands on the camera else the evidence will be lost in 2 minutes and you will be up to your neck in the brown stuff.a camera is worth its weight in gold and remember don't let them get their hands on it.

25 minutes ago, slapout said:

The front of the truck does not appear damaged, which would be expected if hitting a slower  vehicle pulling in front of you. As mentioned truck wheels indicate truck may have been moving into the lane where impact took place (passing vehicle in other lane) and did not notice car until he hit and pushed him into divider.  There is a blind spot on trucks of this size for smaller vehicles once the engine cover of truck is past said small vehicle. I have seen this type accident happen several times in my travels here. If what the driver said is true he would have hit the car with cab of truck  not the trailer he was pulling.

There is no image of the front of the truck. How do you know this?

54 minutes ago, Jezames said:

Picture tells a thousand words and the positions of the trailer, wheels and car indicate a different story my truck driver.

Glad the father and son ok but would be interesting to hear his take on what happened.

Sent from my LON-L29 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

You raise a good question there are no comments from the car driver. In my humble opinion it would seem that the truck moved towards the barrier with the car in the middle. Maybe he did not check his mirrors before moving over. If the truck could not brake it would seem the car should have ended up underneath the truck and possibly could have turned the truck over. 

You raise a good question there are no comments from the car driver. In my humble opinion it would seem that the truck moved towards the barrier with the car in the middle. Maybe he did not check his mirrors before moving over. If the truck could not brake it would seem the car should have ended up underneath the truck and possibly could have turned the truck over. 

Or the car would have been pushed to the other side of the road.

Just seems from the picture very unlikely that the truck driver is telling the truth.

A lot of cars have "Dash-Cams" so there must have been someone following who has a recording of this

And how difficult would it be for the transport authority to intermittently paint

NO HGVs         in the outer lane

47 minutes ago, Jezames said:

Or the car would have been pushed to the other side of the road.

Just seems from the picture very unlikely that the truck driver is telling the truth.

Your probably right being Thai works in his favor. The foreigner was unhurt but has made no statement yet funny. No call for any camera footage from other vehicles either. 

4 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

Maybe the truck driver was texting on his phone and never realized that he was pushing a car into a barrier?

1 hour ago, The man from udon said:

Yes Thais are crap at telling lies,you need to have some sort of brain to be a good liar.to me it looks like the trucks pulled over to the right hand lane and sandwiched the car against the central wall.

Yes, totally agree !