Looking for a letter opener

lkn

If you have a kettle, you might steam it open so that you could re-use the envelope.

The easiest way is to just use scissors and cut one end off.  This is faster than using a letter opener and cheaper.  The nice letter openers are expensive, and I paid a lot for mine which was made of brass with semi-precious stones set in the handle.

If one has young children, letter openers can be dangerous, as well. 

Also, if one is on a flight to the USA, and you forget to remove your letter opener from your carry-on suitcase, then you risk having it taken by the guys who check for things like that.

Often just a pencil is easy and handy and works very well.  The airlines don't care if you carry a sharpened lead pencil in your pocket, although they can be deadly, as well.

You can even use one tine of a dinner fork, either the middle tine or any other tine, because they all work almost as well as a letter opener.

In conclusion, after having tried all of the above methods, I now just use scissors that have red handles so that they are easily locatable at any moment one requires them.

Edited by GiantBlob

If you have a kettle, you might steam it open so that you could re-use the envelope.

The easiest way is to just use scissors and cut one end off.  This is faster than using a letter opener and cheaper.  The nice letter openers are expensive, and I paid a lot for mine which was made of brass with semi-precious stones set in the handle.

Also, if one is on a flight to the USA, and you forget to remove your letter opener from your carry-on suitcase, then you risk having it taken by the guys who check for things like that.

Often just a pencil is easy and handy and works very well.  The airlines don't care if you carry a sharpened lead pencil in your pocket, although they can be deadly, as well.

You can even use one tine of a dinner fork, either the middle tine or any other tine, because they all work almost as well as a letter opener.
In conclusion, after having tried all of the above methods, I now just use scissors that have red handles so that they are easily locatable at any moment one requires them.

One could always attach string to them, as it easily locatable in the 7/11, and then hang the red handled scissors around ones neck as one would do with one's spectacles. Care must be taken when wearing both appliances that one does not inadvertently try to open one's letter with one's spectacles, or poke one's eye out with one's scissors.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

One could always attach string to them, as it easily locatable in the 7/11, and then hang the red handled scissors around ones neck as one would do with one's spectacles. Care must be taken when wearing both appliances that one does not inadvertently try to open one's letter with one's spectacles, or poke one's eye out with one's scissors.

If one is inclined to follow roo860's advice then I have the perfect solution !
One can purchase a red handle scissors safety shield to prevent one poking out ones eyeballs.
Red handle scissors safety shields can be locatable at 7/11, Watson's and Mini Big C ( or is that Big C Mini? )
One can then feel free to go about ones business safe in the knowledge that one is fully covered in every eventuality !!

7fda8bffff5b5b119437d82b0ff5099f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

If one is inclined to follow roo860's advice then I have the perfect solution !
One can purchase a red handle scissors safety shield to prevent one poking out ones eyeballs.
Red handle scissors safety shields can be locatable at 7/11, Watson's and Mini Big C ( or is that Big C Mini? )
One can then feel free to go about ones business safe in the knowledge that one is fully covered in every eventuality !!

7fda8bffff5b5b119437d82b0ff5099f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect[/url

Sound advice Andrew, but one forgot the need for first class insurance which covers the loss of one of one's digits, or maybe two of one's!

1 hour ago, FolkGuitar said:

Piak Bowie, on the San Kamphang road, has/had them for sale. They will make one to your specifications for an astonishingly low price.

This shop looks to be exactly what I am looking for, will go there today, thanks!

25 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Next thing you know someone will ask where you can purchase an ink well in Chiang Mai.

25 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Brilliant!+++++

emoji23.png

Do you know where one can?

The third floor of the stationary/book store next to the UN Irish Pub.   :smile:

Edited by FolkGuitar

And also if one has young children, it's best to hide all kitchen knives, forks, pencils and pens, keys, chopsticks, paint brushes, toothbrushes and toothpicks. 

It's a dangerous world out there. 

I fear the electric ones will cut into my letters, at least the one I have seen took quite a bite off the envelope, and also, I’d much rather have a beautiful small knife in my office than some plastic gadget that runs on batteries.

I did go to the store recommended by FolkGuitar yesterday. Definitely not cheap, but I got a knife designed with wooden shaft and matching wooden sheath which should be ready in about a week.

He didn’t seem familiar with a letter opener knife, but I think I managed to explain it to him (i.e. rounded blade, pointed tip, etc.) and gave him some envelopes for him to test it on before I pick it up.

36 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Most of my correspondence is still written on traditional parchment, sometimes I have difficulty breaking the wax seal, would an electric parchment opener be the answer to my predicament?
Any constructive advice would be appreciated.

Perhaps your problem stems from an inaccurate use of the word "parchement" when you may have actually been referring to "vellum."  Parchment, being just dried, scraped, untanned goat or sheep skins, were rarely rolled as they tend to crack, where as Vellum, being made of the uterine lining of unborn calves were more flexible, and more suitable for correspondence. You really need to find a Vellum Opener. Unfortunately, none are available in Chiang Mai, the last one sold out in 1477 by a shop on Loi Kraw and not restocked.

Edited by FolkGuitar

Perhaps your problem stems from an inaccurate use of the word "parchement" when you may have actually been referring to "vellum."  Parchment, being just dried, scraped, untanned goat or sheep skins, were rarely rolled as they tend to crack, where as Vellum, being made of the uterine lining of unborn calves were more flexible, and more suitable for correspondence. You really need to find a Vellum Opener. Unfortunately, none are available in Chiang Mai, the last one sold out in 1477 by a shop on Loi Kraw and not restocked.

Thanks, I did try and explain to the young assistant in my local 7/11 what I required, he also gave me the same advice as you, I scoffed at his story, thought he was nothing more than a skurvy Knave,
now I must eat my own Vellum.

45 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Thanks, I did try and explain to the young assistant in my local 7/11 what I required, he also gave me the same advice as you, I scoffed at his story, thought he was nothing more than a skurvy Knave,
now I must eat my own Vellum.

This is exactly what happened back in the 1500's when vellum was being replaced by new-fangled stuff called 'paper.' Still waaay too expensive for that average Lady of the Court to own an entire book, instead, at night they would just curl up with a Page...

On 2/3/2017 at 9:59 AM, lkn said:

He didn’t seem familiar with a letter opener knife, but I think I managed to explain it to him (i.e. rounded blade, pointed tip, etc.) and gave him some envelopes for him to test it on before I pick it up.

Picked up the knife today and it looks and works great!

paper-knife.jpg