Do I need this thing on my water tank?

nitayagirl

Could someone tell me what the thing on top of the water tank in the attached picture is called (in English and Thai)? The water from the well is pumped up and then cascades through it before it goes into the storage tank.

What is its purpose and should I put one on the second water well I have just drilled?

water.JPG

Appears to be a cascade aerator/degasser

Usually used to increase dissolved oxygen, decrease carbon dioxide, and convert iron and manganese from soluble to insoluble (and thereby filterable) forms. 

How Aeration Systems for Water Treatment Work

"Aeration is used in water treatment as a pretreatment in the process of removing iron and hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg smell) from water. Air is a powerful oxidizer of both iron and hydrogen sulfide. It quickly converts unfilterable ferrous iron to filterable ferric iron, and it reduces hydrogen sulfide to elemental sulphur, which is easily removed from water by a filter.

Air is a very fast oxidizer--considerably faster than chlorine."

82637-5416647.jpg

"With Cascade Aerators, aeration is accomplished by natural draft units that mix cascading water with air that is naturally inducted into the water flow. Cascade water is pumped to the top of the aerator, and cascades over a series of trays. Air is naturally inducted into the water flow to accomplish iron oxidation and some reduction in dissolved gasses. WesTech’s Cascade Aerators are of non-corroding, all aluminum or stainless construction and have no moving parts, making them maintenance free and inexpensive to buy and operate.

Edited by RichCor
additional info

22 hours ago, RichCor said:

Appears to be a cascade aerator/degasser

Usually used to increase dissolved oxygen, decrease carbon dioxide, and convert iron and manganese from soluble to insoluble (and thereby filterable) forms. 

How Aeration Systems for Water Treatment Work

"Aeration is used in water treatment as a pretreatment in the process of removing iron and hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg smell) from water. Air is a powerful oxidizer of both iron and hydrogen sulfide. It quickly converts unfilterable ferrous iron to filterable ferric iron, and it reduces hydrogen sulfide to elemental sulphur, which is easily removed from water by a filter.

Air is a very fast oxidizer--considerably faster than chlorine."

82637-5416647.jpg

"With Cascade Aerators, aeration is accomplished by natural draft units that mix cascading water with air that is naturally inducted into the water flow. Cascade water is pumped to the top of the aerator, and cascades over a series of trays. Air is naturally inducted into the water flow to accomplish iron oxidation and some reduction in dissolved gasses. WesTech’s Cascade Aerators are of non-corroding, all aluminum or stainless construction and have no moving parts, making them maintenance free and inexpensive to buy and operate.

Thanks for that info.