Easiest way to get 10 year old Thai daughter to UK for 1st holiday

Hello guys,

I have a 10 year old daughter from a failed relationship. I'm on the birth certificate only as we didn't marry. I haven't been able to do anything regards getting my daughter British Citizenship due to difficulties with her mother. I'm on speaking terms with the mother now, after a long feud.

I'm married with a 2 year old son, living in Thailand with my Thai wife and my daughter's mother is also married with kids to a Thai fella.

My mother who lives in the UK has been to Thailand 4 times to see my daughter but can't make it this year due to back problems. I have permission from my ex to take my daughter to the UK for a holiday to visit my mother. My ex has told me she will sign any papers and help anyway she can to get our daugher to the UK, so my ex isn't going to be a problem and is totally supportive of it all. 

My questions are, what is the best way to get my daughter to the UK for a 4-5 week holiday?

The mother and I are friends now and she's willing to help so is there anyway I can get my daughter a UK passport? 

If getting a UK holiday visa for my daughter is the only way, then who applies for that, me or my ex and would I need to be with them for interviews or signing papers etc? I live in the South and they live in the North so need to plan ahead if that's the case. 

If anyone has been in a similar situation, could you please let me know what you had to do to get your child back to the UK for a holiday. 

All advice much appreciated,

Thank you!

You don't have to be married to the girl's mother to get your daughter a UK passport. You just need to be British "otherwise than by descent" yourself (i.e. you were born in the UK).  It's fairly easy to apply in Thailand via The Trendy in Bangkok. 

Edited by brewsterbudgen

3 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

You don't have to be married to the girl's mother to get your daughter a UK passport. You just need to be British "otherwise than by descent" yourself (i.e. you were born in the UK).  It's fairly easy to apply in Thailand via The Trendy in Bangkok. 

Thanks for getting back to me guys, sorry to sound stupid here but what is the Trendy in Bangkok?

I did a quick search and found something relating to http://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/ but when I visit this site it seems to be about visas not passports. 

Can you give me a little more information of what needs to be done please.

I should add that my daughter isn't British she was born in Thailand, has a Thai ID card and Thai passport, sorry I should have mentioned that before. 

Can my ex take my daughter to Bangkok and get her a British passport without me or will I need to go with them?

Much obliged, thank you!

50 minutes ago, BillyBobzTeeth said:

Thanks for getting back to me guys, sorry to sound stupid here but what is the Trendy in Bangkok?

I did a quick search and found something relating to http://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/ but when I visit this site it seems to be about visas not passports. 

Can you give me a little more information of what needs to be done please.

I should add that my daughter isn't British she was born in Thailand, has a Thai ID card and Thai passport, sorry I should have mentioned that before. 

Can my ex take my daughter to Bangkok and get her a British passport without me or will I need to go with them?

Much obliged, thank you!

She can have dual citizenship and if she has a claim to British citizenship (through you) she needs a British passport not a visa.  The application form is fairly complicated and you will need to complete/sign it, as it will be your (long-form) birth certificate that is required.  You could use an agent for the whole process (for a fee!).  They will help you fill in the forms, deal with the photographs and the certifications and take the whole lot to Trendy for you.

• Like 1

Just now, brewsterbudgen said:

She can have dual citizenship and if she has a claim to British citizenship (through you) she needs a British passport not a visa.  The application form is fairly complicated and you will need to complete/sign it, as it will be your (long-form) birth certificate that is required.  You could use an agent for the whole process (for a fee!).  They will help you fill in the forms, deal with the photographs and the certifications and take the whole lot to Trendy for you.

Thanks mate, 

I think to save a lot of headaches and time I will use an agent.

Can you recommend a good agent and tell me their cost please?

7 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Only if the child was born on or after 1st July 2006. Prior to that children born outside the UK could only inherit their father's British citizenship if their parents were married at the time of birth or married since.

BillyBobzTeeth, your daughter is 10, so presumably was born after this date.

2 hours ago, BillyBobzTeeth said:

I think to save a lot of headaches and time I will use an agent.

Up to you, but it really is no more complicated than applying for your own passport.

Remember an agent cannot fill in the forms nor gather the required evidence, such as your long form birth certificate; you'll still have to do that!

See Overseas British passport applications

4 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Only if the child was born on or after 1st July 2006. Prior to that children born outside the UK could only inherit their father's British citizenship if their parents were married at the time of birth or married since.

BillyBobzTeeth, your daughter is 10, so presumably was born after this date.

Up to you, but it really is no more complicated than applying for your own passport.

Remember an agent cannot fill in the forms nor gather the required evidence, such as your long form birth certificate; you'll still have to do that!

See Overseas British passport applications

Yeah, someone on another post also mentioned the agents are not needed. I'm going to do this all myself, thanks for the heads up. 

My daughter's 10, she was born Oct 2016, so she's just scraped through regards the British citizenship entitlement, thankfully. 

I'll be going in April and will write a detailed report of how it all goes for anyone else who needs to do it.

Thanks for your advice, much appreciated!