Ever Been in a Thai-Tech Taxi?

Inspire

Ever Been in a Thai-Tech Taxi?

Orlando Barton

bart-main6.jpg

Getting a taxi in Bangkok used to be a fairly straight forward proposition. You flagged one down, told him where you wanted to go and hopefully he knew what you were talking about. Some of my best adventure stories involve taxi drivers.

In recent years many things have changed. Taxi operators have felt the pressure of competition from many different sources. Better public transportation like the MRT and BTS with their ever-extending service gives people like me more options. Improved buses with air conditioning and increasingly dependable schedules is another way to go. And now we even have Uber, the citizen-powered independent transport service that I’m sure are viewed as the mortal enemy by most taxi drivers.

If you’ve never used Uber, here is how it works: You download the app and register with Uber and provide them with a credit or debit card. When you want a ride simply open the app, indicate where you want to go and they will estimate the charges and show you via a map application where your driver is, what they are driving and how long it will take until you are picked up. They even send you a picture of the driver and supply you with their phone number and them with yours. If you want to ride in a larger or more luxurious vehicle, Uber Black can provide that service for a little extra charge. Once the ride is over Uber calculates the fare and sends you a notice on your mobile phone. No cash, no tip, no hassle.

Full story: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/ever-thai-tech-taxi/

inspire_pattaya_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Inspire Pattaya 2017-02-05

Just used Uber for the first time on the weekend. Caught a Taxi Meter from Phetchaburi Road to Lumpini Park. After half an hour of twist and turns I look at the GPS on my Iphone and find that the driver is going in the opposite direction. After a short discussion with the driver he tells me it is not his fault. He has just woken up from being drunk and is not thinking straight. He dropped me and the missus off on the side of an expressway. The missus was getting worried what to do. Opened up the Uber app and had a car there within 10 Minutes. Clean car, courteous driver and took us exactly to where we wanted go directly. Used Uber three more times that weekend. Got me.

11 hours ago, geisha said:

Can Uber drop off at the airports , and is there a risk of violence if other taxi drivers realise that it's an Uber car ? Thanks. I remember when drivers in Phuket attacked the first new bus service a long while back !

Short answer, Yes. Don't know about violence but a couple of taxi drivers were voicing their disapproval to each other as I was getting into an Uber car outside a hotel in Sathon on the weekend.