Teenager killed, another seriously injured in Phuket road crash

webfact

Another teenager killed, and a second seriously injured in Phuket road crash

Phuket Gazette 

pkt11.jpeg          

The victims were both students and still in school uniform when the accident occurred. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: A 15-year-old biker was killed and his passenger, also 15, was seriously injured when a van driver cut them off, causing a three-vehicle collision yesterday evening in Chalong. 

Both boys were still in school uniform with their schoolbags across their shoulders.

“Rescue workers provided CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation) to the driver, Wasin Thongsom, but his injuries were too severe and he was pronounced dead,” said Lt Col Kanaen Somrak of Chalong Police. 

Wacharapong Kachinrat, who was riding pillion with his friend, was seriously injured. Both victims were taken to Vachira Phuket Hospital. 

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Teenager-killed-seriously-injured-Phuket-collision/66240?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2017-02-08

15 and younger to and from school racing bikes every day but teachers, police and parents do nothing. A complete waste of life and it's a disgrace.

Hit one of them though and you (thai or foreigner) are the one who is charged.

17 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

15 and younger to and from school racing bikes every day but teachers, police and parents do nothing. A complete waste of life and it's a disgrace.

Hit one of them though and you (thai or foreigner) are the one who is charged.

Thread over in one post.

Nothing to add really, charge the parents with negligence and chuck 'em in jail for a while as a message and hopefully to save some young lives.

Throw the van driver in too because, well, he's a van driver and there's already enough of them on the roads...

9 minutes ago, fester the benevolent said:

Thread over in one post.

Nothing to add really, charge the parents with negligence and chuck 'em in jail for a while as a message and hopefully to save some young lives.

Throw the van driver in too because, well, he's a van driver and there's already enough of them on the roads...

What can you say, not much I am afraid. It's thailand and that's how it works here. 

I totally agree with all the comments here an in previous posts about bike accidents. 

Sorry can't help myself .

1 Bike helmets mandatory and enforced.

2 if they are going to allow 15 yr olds to ride bikes,they should be limited to the driver only untill 18 yrs of age. At least that way the might get a bit of experience prior to allowing them to carry passengers.

3 The traffic laws need to be enforced,untill this happens nothing will change.

4 hours ago, Psimbo said:

The bus driver pulled out in front of them. Nothing here to suggest they were speeding, though on a motorcycle you need to drive very defensively here.....and that's because Thai's and Farang's alike often show no regard for motorcyclists, seemingly preferring to leave them to take care of themselves.

Licensing, helmets, underage riders, schools, police, parents, bus drivers....I agree. The root cause of this accident goes back a LOT further than a minibus pulling out in front of two kids on a scooter.

A tragic and unnecessary loss.

3 hours ago, nabbie said:

Why do the daily road accidents like this article need to continue for the rest of this year? I am dreaded to expect more unwanted tragedies especially youth more to come..... :saai:

To make matters worse, bikes are getting better, so the youngsters are now getting about on zippy bikes vs old scooters... I fully expect more of the same... a lot more.

Just now two ambulances went past in the ten minutes that I was outside, having a smoke.... and this is not unusual

Every time I drive in Phuket, I use a dash cam front and back, having been scammed by a young school boy who side swiped me on the inside and "gracefully" fell of his bike.

Withing minutes, police were on the scene, lots of school friend witnesses that I turned across him even though he was some 10 yards in font of me and not in the side of my car.

After haggling with the police captain, I decided that it was quicker to cough up 2,000 baht (down from an initial 10,000) and drive away. As we did, the school kid made a miraculous recovery, pocketed some of the money and rode off laughing.

Edited by Flustered