How early can you apply for a 30-day extension for a SETV?

A friend (Canadian) entered Thailand on 10 January on a regular two-month tourist visa. He would like to apply for a 30-day extension at Krabi immigration on 15 February (I guess he plans to hit remote islands for a while and doesn't want to have to hit an immigration office after the 15th). But he's unsure whether or not that date is too soon to apply for an extension. My gut says that SETVs can be extended at any time once you're in the country, but I'm not sure because I've always had Non-Imm visas and this is the first I've known someone looking to extend a tourist visa so far in advance. He says someone told him that he couldn't apply for the 30-day extension until at least 7 days before the visa expiration date. Is this true? Any clarifications appreciated. 

Edited by dluek

Most offices will let you apply within the last couple of weeks before the permit to stay expires. It certainly can't be done any time once in the country and how early will come down to the office you apply at. If your friend wants to apply more than two weeks early I suggest he checks before he goes or provides evidence of why he needs to apply so early.

Thanks. Any official line on this from Thai immigration? I realize "official lines" are often worthless in Thailand but usually they do exist in one way or another. There must be an official rule on how early you can apply for a tourist visa extension.... 

3 minutes ago, dluek said:

Thanks. Any official line on this from Thai immigration? I realize "official lines" are often worthless in Thailand but usually they do exist in one way or another. There must be an official rule on how early you can apply for a tourist visa extension.... 

I've never seen anything official in writing from immigration. It's basically down to the office and officer processing the extension.