Teaching One To One

crabstix

I am thinking of renting a Building in Chiang Rai. It's a bit like a town house and has the metal shutters which you can pull down when you are out (not sure if this kind of building has a name). It has two floors and I plan to rent one where I can sleep on the 2nd floor (The building has only 2 floors) and work downtstairs. I plan to teach one to one or small English classes in evenings and possibly weekends. I will buy a few chairs, tables and a whiteboard for teaching. I have a regular teaching job already but would like to make some extra money outside regular teaching hours.

I am not planning to open a language school but would like to make some extra cash on the side. Am I likely to run into legal problems if people passersby see me teaching? I mean I pay taxes on my regular job already but will not be paying taxes on the money I make from I teaching extra classes at home.

I am thinking of renting a Building in Chiang Rai. It's a bit like a town house and has the metal shutters which you can pull down when you are out (not sure if this kind of building has a name). It has two floors and I plan to rent one where I can sleep on the 2nd floor (The building has only 2 floors) and work downtstairs. I plan to teach one to one or small English classes in evenings and possibly weekends. I will buy a few chairs, tables and a whiteboard for teaching. I have a regular teaching job already but would like to make some extra money outside regular teaching hours.

I am not planning to open a language school but would like to make some extra cash on the side. Am I likely to run into legal problems if people passersby see me teaching? I mean I pay taxes on my regular job already but will not be paying taxes on the money I make from I teaching extra classes at home.

Unless you work at the address of your WP sponser you are working illegally and everything that entails.

^completely true that OP would be illegal; however, it is also extremely, extremely unlikely that any passerby will turn you in- it's more likely that one of your disaffected former students or their parents will do you the honour. You can probably keep it up without much risk as long as you don't upset anyone to the point they would want to do this.

or dont do what you suggest!!

do private 1 to 1 lessons on the weekdays and weekends, but do it in a public place!

that way no one has any proof that your doing what you do. and they cant stop you over it.

my friend gives private lessons to 1 or 2 people at a time. he meets them in public places, like a mall, or a park etc. sure its not as peaceful as a class room, and you dont have a whiteboad, but use ur imagination! that way, if a police officer comes up and says anything, your simply having a conversation!

do private 1 to 1 lessons on the weekdays and weekends, but do it in a public place!

that way no one has any proof that your doing what you do. and they cant stop you over it.

my friend gives private lessons to 1 or 2 people at a time. he meets them in public places, like a mall, or a park etc. sure its not as peaceful as a class room, and you dont have a whiteboad, but use ur imagination! that way, if a police officer comes up and says anything, your simply having a conversation!

That sounds like a safe option. What do you think are the chances of a grudge-holding student dobbing you in to the cops in this scenario ? Seems less probable than the home setup at least.

That sounds like a safe option. What do you think are the chances of a grudge-holding student dobbing you in to the cops in this scenario ? Seems less probable than the home setup at least.

exactly. its "safe" if a grudge holding student dobs you in, you simply say you were having a conversation! there is no classroom, no investigations into premises, no witnesses... you were just another farang talking to a thai.

If it starts to look like a school, it'll be school owners that will dob you in. I can understand them though as they have all jumped through the regulatory and financial hoops necessary to open and run their schools.

cant agree more. if i spend lots of money, time and had to bite the bullet to set up my own school, which was my life's work, then i wouldnt want someone cutting corners doing it illegally.

i would respect someone who dobs the other in, if this was the case. really, if you want to teach privatly, then do it privatly. dont go about setting up a school, or even a small school for that matter, when your not willing to go through the long process of doing it legally.