Jeff Sessions confirmed as next U.S. Attorney General

webfact

Jeff Sessions confirmed as next U.S. Attorney General

REUTERS

r8.jpg

Senator Jeff Sessions, who was today confirmed by the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee to become U.S. Attorney General, walks in the U.S. Capitol in Washington, U.S., February 1, 2017. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Senate voted on Wednesday to confirm Republican Senator Jeff Sessions as the next attorney general of the United States.

The Alabama senator is known for his tough stance on immigration enforcement and his early support of President Donald Trump who nominated him for the job.

Sessions was confirmed by a 52-47 vote.

(Reporting by Julia Edwards Ainsley; Editing by Sandra Maler)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-02-09

Well there is the turd on top of the crap cake.

Now maybe more women can learn to shut up and keep quiet. No use for any woman to have an opinion as long as there is a white man to think for them.

Trump’s choice for attorney general has done some really awful things to try to set back women’s rights

https://qz.com/841443/jeff-sessions-womens-rights-record/

Edited by Silurian

100 years of Human Rights reform are about to be reversed. Sessions is well know to be anti women, anti- anyone not Christian, and a racists. There will no justice from the Justice Department in the near future. America, you reap what you sow.

The negative comments here only indicate the stupidity and willful neglect/refusal of real facts...liberals in the USA have an agenda and feel absolutely vindicated to lie and use force to silence free speech and opinion...

reality--Sessions helped end the KKK in Alabama...he is not a racist, and anyone who thinks so has not even bothered to gather basic information....

he replaces Holder, an attorney general who intentionally poured illegal weaponry into Mexico, knowing full well that people would die...moreover, Holder has refused to  investigate or prosecute actual racists and fellow liberals...simply because the individuals held an opinion that aligned with his own...

give Sessions a chance...and if he screws up, nail him...but do not be stupid and mindlessly believe the liberal line...

34 minutes ago, blazes said:

A good appointment.  Should help to push back the feminization of the American male that has been ongoing since the early 90s.

Given his record and the fact that this is the Trump Era, I wouldn't be surprised if he takes a cue from the Russians and pushes for the decriminalization of domestic violence. Take that, feminization!

I know Jeff Sessions personally. I spoke to him frequently when I was an anchor and reporter for a news network in Alabama. Jeff was always civil to me, but I find his politics repugnant. He was always railing against "Judicial activism". If not for such activism, civil rights would never have had a chance in the United States.

19 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Given his record and the fact that this is the Trump Era, I wouldn't be surprised if he takes a cue from the Russians and pushes for the decriminalization of domestic violence. Take that, feminization!

Well, if he could at least melt a few snowflakes, that would be a considerable achievement.  On the other hand, they will be so intent on reading the runes of their smart phones they will not notice that they have in fact melted.

1 hour ago, hdkane said:

The negative comments here only indicate the stupidity and willful neglect/refusal of real facts...liberals in the USA have an agenda and feel absolutely vindicated to lie and use force to silence free speech and opinion...

reality--Sessions helped end the KKK in Alabama...he is not a racist, and anyone who thinks so has not even bothered to gather basic information....

he replaces Holder, an attorney general who intentionally poured illegal weaponry into Mexico, knowing full well that people would die...moreover, Holder has refused to  investigate or prosecute actual racists and fellow liberals...simply because the individuals held an opinion that aligned with his own...

give Sessions a chance...and if he screws up, nail him...but do not be stupid and mindlessly believe the liberal line...

Actually the negative comments indicate that those responding are educated in regards to Mr. Sessions' history.  He has a history of racist behavior while also trying to take credit for having a major role in the prosecution of a member of the KKK in which he only played only a supporting role. https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/01/sessions-kkk-case/512600/ 

He (not the only Republican) has also been implicated in blocking African Americans from voting https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2017/01/10/read-the-letter-coretta-scott-king-wrote-opposing-sessionss-1986-federal-nomination/?utm_term=.bc8b2c862324

The Fast and Furious gun scheme which you lay at Eric Holder's feet was actually a George W. Bush era scheme started 3 years before Obama and Holder were in office. However they do share blame as they should have ended the scheme as soon as put into office.

Edited by kamahele

2 hours ago, Chip Allen said:

I know Jeff Sessions personally. I spoke to him frequently when I was an anchor and reporter for a news network in Alabama. Jeff was always civil to me, but I find his politics repugnant. He was always railing against "Judicial activism". If not for such activism, civil rights would never have had a chance in the United States.

As someone who does not consider the US Constitution to be a 'living document' to be altered via Judicial Activism, it sounds like Sessions is just the man for the job to protect the Constitution and to administer the law via the letter of the Constitution instead of the interpretation of the Constitution that judicial activists seek to use of obfuscate that document.

3 hours ago, Chip Allen said:

Did you exchange Christmas cards?

I hear Hillary is 'packing her backs' now Sessions has been confirmed. And all those involved in her email scandal investigation that were given a 'free pass' are also worried their 'get out of jail' card will soon be rescinded. I l love it !!!

And I am so looking forward to seeing all the 'activist' Judicial members (read left-wing Dems supporters) put under strict control and limitations. Especially ones like the specifically selected Judge that put a ban on the enforcement of Trump's immigration ban - and yet is on the record supporting Obama's same ban a few years ago.

Politics in America is about to undergo dramatic change - especially the Judiciary.  That the liberal Judge on the SCOTUS can make such blatantly politically statements as she does, is just ridiculous.  As one Judge has stated - if any Judge wants to be involved in politics, then they should remove the gown/wig and run for Congress or Senate.   

10 minutes ago, ELVIS123456 said:

I hear Hillary is 'packing her backs' now Sessions has been confirmed. And all those involved in her email scandal investigation that were given a 'free pass' are also worried their 'get out of jail' card will soon be rescinded. I l love it !!!

And I am so looking forward to seeing all the 'activist' Judicial members (read left-wing Dems supporters) put under strict control and limitations. Especially ones like the specifically selected Judge that put a ban on the enforcement of Trump's immigration ban - and yet is on the record supporting Obama's same ban a few years ago.

Politics in America is about to undergo dramatic change - especially the Judiciary.  That the liberal Judge on the SCOTUS can make such blatantly politically statements as she does, is just ridiculous.  As one Judge has stated - if any Judge wants to be involved in politics, then they should remove the gown/wig and run for Congress or Senate.   

Yes Sessions has quite a record. Like the time he led a prosecution against those black civil rights workers for voter fraud.  The judge threw out half the charges and the jury qcquitted them of the rest.  With a record like his, I wouldn't be surprised if he goes after Clinton.

6 hours ago, hdkane said:

Who knows, maybe he has had a complete change of heart and will leave all his bad ways and crap behind him.  If he has I give him about a week before Trump has him exterminated.  Trump put him there because of his bad ways and that is exactly what he expects from him in the role.

38 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III. Is he named for Thomas Jefferson? ;)

Amazing that in 1986 he wasn't acceptable for the Federal bench, now in 2017 step right in to the AG's office. We've come so far.

More likely that the Jefferson is from Jefferson Davis, proud slave owner, and the only president of the Confederate States, who persisted to his dying day as an apologist for slavery.

Anyway, at least the senate is now short 1 GOP vote for a while, at least until someone is appointe to fill his spot. Horrid disgusting man. He won't last long.

More likely that the Jefferson is from Jefferson Davis, proud slave owner, and the only president of the Confederate States, who persisted to his dying day as an apologist for slavery.

My comment was tongue-in-cheek.

Anyway, at least the senate is now short 1 GOP vote for a while, at least until someone is appointe to fill his spot. Horrid disgusting man. He won't last long.

And given the mess in sweet home Alabama that process might take a while?

On 2/9/2017 at 1:51 PM, hdkane said:

He's replacing Loretta Lynch.  Holder hasn't been AG since 2015.

As someone who does not consider the US Constitution to be a 'living document' to be altered via Judicial Activism

So when can we do away with all those pesky Amendments? The 2nd, 13th, 14th, 15th and 19th? Too soon?

In all seriousness, the AG is not part of the Judicial Branch, and the Constitution is usually amended by the legislative branch and the people.

The role of the AG has certainly changed from the original conception, I assume that sort of change is acceptable?