Anyone live on Florida coast - Naples, Cape Coral, Ft Myers?

Anyone live in south Fl? Naples, Cape Coral, Ft Myers? I am looking for slow, local lifestyle not all that nonsense in Miami, Palm Beach, etc...

Care to venture what a simple lifestyle might cost for two people per year?

Safe neighborhood, low traffic

1-2BR condo/house on a canal (boat slip?) (150-250k)

Home insurance, HOA, condo dues (ugh) etc...
Medical insurance (self not covered, Medicare? Wife?)

Auto insurance - 1 car

Any signs of another FL real estate bubble??

Beaches look OK around Clearwater/Dunedin but seems to be sort of sketchy area reading from Citydata.

Thanks

I have spent many years on my boat in florida, I am out of touch with property prices since the property crash

For the quieter life plus more affordable properties, Stuart on the St Lucie inlet is very very nice, a little further north also Fort Pierce, but then Fort Myers on the gulf coast is also peaceful, The Ocachobee waterway from Stuart to Ft Myers, crossing the whole of florida from one coast to the other, has some wonderful places and wildlife

Then do not forget some of the east coast , like Georgia, again magnificent meandering water ways, peace and tranquility

Look up and search affordable places to live on google

PM me if you want to talk and I will give you my phone number, I am but a simple retired englishman

Thank you both. Sorry for such a belated reply. I have an uncle in Juoiter on the intercoastal and a cousin in Palm Beach.Other coast has been considered, nit iut if the question.

Im now kinda freaking out iver potential hidden costs in taxes, insurance, hoa.

Ive read some nasty things in general abiut Florida on city data mostly crime, cops/ticketing and managing of cities (councils). Port St Lucie seems to have some serious detractors.

My wife is real partial to the color of water as in Andaman/Gulf Mexico. Myself as well but I could be swayed to Atlantic. Wed like boating, fishing and going out to sandbars.

Keys woukd be great but thats nit ginna haopen $$$ wise

Anyway, if someone might reply...what about taxes and insurance? Flood, hurricane plus ? Seems to really add to price of home.

Buying a condo is looking more appealing for a shared dock and water access for boat.

What of HOA fees for apt and home?

Home would be best but doubt we will have water. Also, leaving home for weeks or months Im worried about buglary.

Yes, places outsude FL but Im worried especially in this new climate how wife is recievd in Southern US. The coast up to DE can be very nice byt also hurricanes and far from airports.

Do you guys worry abiut zombie apocalypse? All the marginal people in FL?

PS I have another cousin around Ft Pierce I thinknit is

Edited by Number 6
10 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Thank you both. Sorry for such a belated reply. I have an uncle in Juoiter on the intercoastal and a cousin in Palm Beach.Other coast has been considered, nit iut if the question.

Jupiter is nice

Im now kinda freaking out iver potential hidden costs in taxes, insurance, hoa.

Ive read some nasty things in general abiut Florida on city data mostly crime, cops/ticketing and managing of cities (councils). Port St Lucie seems to have some serious detractorsI read many nasty things about Thailand, I see many nasty things on a daily basis, London has ten year old terrorists, maybe you need to hide in a box and not venture out, or not travel, I have been fortunate to travel more than most, I have been robbed a couple of times at Gunpoint, had a few difficult experiences but that is all part of life, I spent a couple of weeks in an old jail with no lawyer, or embassy but I escaped. ,at nearly 72 I am more likely to die of cancer than hardship by travelling that keeps me happy ( I have a couple of different cancers that taxes one a little)

My wife is real partial to the color of water as in Andaman/Gulf Mexico. Myself as well but I could be swayed to Atlantic. Wed like boating, fishing and going out to sandbars.Gulf of mexico side is not so blue, if you want blue water go east coast and hop, sail over to the Abacoes and Bahamas

Keys woukd be great but thats nit ginna haopen $$$ wiseLong road to Key West< once drove to Key West for dinner from Ft Lauderdale on a promise, had to drive all the same long road back that night, nothing ventured nothing gained ! ! Not all the keys are expensive some parts real dumps, it a long long way from south miami to key west

Anyway, if someone might reply...what about taxes and insurance? Flood, hurricane plus ? Seems to really add to price of home.I think maybe you need to find some answers yourself, re tax it all depends on what you do or do not have

Buying a condo is looking more appealing for a shared dock and water access for boat.There are many

What of HOA fees for apt and home?

Home would be best but doubt we will have water. Also, leaving home for weeks or months Im worried about buglary.Many condos and estates are closed/gated with their own security

Yes, places outsude FL but Im worried especially in this new climate how wife is recievd in Southern US. The coast up to DE can be very nice byt also hurricanes and far from airports.Hurricanes happen as henry Higgins said, been through many, no worse than big storms in Issan

Do you guys worry abiut zombie apocalypse? All the marginal people in FL?

PS I have another cousin around Ft Pierce I thinknit isI used to like FT Pierce, maybe a little more risky but also more affordable

If you are serious you need to visit for a couple of months, remember most visas only allow stays of 6 mths I think, and if you go in and out of florida on private yacht you need a full visa, the visa exempt entry does not work

Edited by al007

Thanks for your input. Yeah, my uncle has a bit of money...

We've visited twice but only to Palm Beach, Boca and Del Ray. DR was almost OK but we hated the rest. My late aunt had a place in St Andrews. The people were cooler and more down to earth than one would imagine, but we still hated it. My wife felt so out of place lol.

Yeah, we need to visit...

Thing about the Internet it is awash in sketchy information about FL.

Anyway, thank you. You've been kind with your time and my questions very vague.

3 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Thanks for your input. Yeah, my uncle has a bit of money...

We've visited twice but only to Palm Beach, Boca and Del Ray. DR was almost OK but we hated the rest. My late aunt had a place in St Andrews. The people were cooler and more down to earth than one would imagine, but we still hated it. My wife felt so out of place lol.

Yeah, we need to visit...

Thing about the Internet it is awash in sketchy information about FL.

Anyway, thank you. You've been kind with your time and my questions very vague.

Listen if you are ok and happy here stop running 

love you too

Thanks. Haha yeah, I'm a wanderer. Thing with Thai vs US is that I'm finding it impossible to find a decent beach front condo here save for Rayong - a wildly poor value in South of Thailand.

Wife loves US but many reasons to stay and she is very OK with that. I never made any promises about anything or anywhere.

Thank you for your input.

you might want to consider Melbourne, FL Space coast area.  There are some affordable places there.  There is a very active Wat Thai there that is really nice on Sundays when they have food for sale. I live in Jupiter, currently working in San Diego, but am expecting to transfer to Melbourne for the next 2 years.  Mostly for tax reasons, I like the warm water, job is about the same but I will net considerably more since my company will keep my pay from California the same and Florida, having no state tax will net me over $1500 /month.

I use to own a Jewelry store on Okeechobee blv at West Palm Beach. and spend a considerable amount of time in the area. Given my personality, I was not crazy about the area. Many good areas and developments, with adjacent low income areas with the associated problems.

My sister lives at Boynton Beach, (owns a condo,) and given her personality , loves it.

Owning a condominium has advantages and disadvantages. Ease of maintenance and facilities is an advantage, proximity to neighbors, no personal outside space, and fees is a disadvantage.

HOA fees for my sister are about $400 per month and can only go up. Where for $400 more per month in mortgage, you could buy a home , and the $400 goes toward equity.

If you decide on a condo make sure to ask for the minutes of meetings. There you will here all the complains, get a feel for the association, and any major maintenance expences that could increase your HOA fees.

Crime is not a totaly absent in Palm Coast , but I never had a problem, My garage door is always open , my car keys always in the car so I know where to find then, never had a problem.

Palm Coast and Flagler Beach has a large salt Water canal system that leads to tyhe intercostal and with outlets in Saint Augustine , Ponce inlet and Metanzas out to the ocean, though Matanzas is not for the faint at heart because there is a shifting sand bar and if you dont know what you are doing it could be a problem.I usually trailer my boat to Saint augustine, there is a nice wide boat ramp very close to the inlet , and 8 miles out to the seif for great ocean fishing, ir if the water is ruff , stay in the inlet. or intercostal.

Down south the ocean drop off self is not as far, if you are into ocean fishing.

Use the MLS and do a search for salt water canal in Palm coast and Flagler Beach if you are interested.

Also realtor.com to search other areas. As others said Spend some time in sifferent areas before you make a decision, good idea to rent before you make a commitment and buy.

PM me if you have any questions,  used to be a Real Estate broker, and though out of the industry for over ten years still knowledgeable in the subject. 

Good Luck

Wow, thanks as so much for all that.

Yeah, Palm Beach. It's a trip. My cousin fits in perfectly.

I'd rather have a home but I'm never going to get that on the water in FL. I rather dislike condos but I'm worried abt crime when we travel and just all the FL degenerates.

We will visit my uncle in Jupiter next April. We'll have a look. Stay in the 2m villa look for the 200k shit shack hahhaaaa. Waiting for a bubble...

We're not ready to move, another few years but I'm feeling it's time to start looking at things and making decisions.

I've been out here so long, I enjoy my time back. More than anything though I just feel Thailand impermanent, especially with this coup bs (been thru 3).

Thx gk and especially k.sirineou much appreciated.

Edited by Number 6

I agree Thailand is not a permanent solution for all, aside from the political instability, we are all going to get old (I turn 60 in june), and all the associated difficulties, My medical is back home, and my investments are IMO safer back home. 

Two years ago would have being the time to buy in FL plenty of distressed inventory with banks willing to deal. Last Year I picked up one of the few remaining distressed properties in Palm Coast (8 year old 1600 sq ft house in perfect condition)  for 126,000, it is now appraising at 160,000.

Though I can see a Bubble in the future, I am afraid it will be a while before we can capitalise on it, It will be a few years before it happens and even longer before the properties go through the foreclosure process and find their way in the market.

Still some deals Available on saltwater canal leading to the intracoastal in Palm Coast. Keep in mind that when moving through a canal, it is a no wake zone, it means going very slow, and if you are all the way back , as as my first home, it can take you for ever to get back home.

You can still pick up an older home for about $250,000

getPhoto.asp?id=224514_13.jpggpj.31_4154getPhoto.asp?id=224514_18.jpggpj.81_4154

http://www.usamls.net/Flagler/default.asp?content=expanded&search_content=results&this_format=1&mls_number=224514&page=6&query_id=170666050&sortby=2&user_page_size=9

Keep in mind that waterfront Insurance is much more expensive, and might become unavailable in the future, which is a problem especially if you have a mortgage and its required. 

Anyway , with global warming, a lot of the less expensive inland properties might become waterfront LOL.  

6 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I agree Thailand is not a permanent solution for all, aside from the political instability, we are all going to get old (I turn 60 in june), and all the associated difficulties, My medical is back home, and my investments are IMO safer back home. 

Very nice very good deal, and properly a lovely location

for me one major problem no medical insurance so USA not on 

Here even with two different cancers and no insurance, can still more than survive

I still keep my investments in the USA markets, been in the big banks recently and really very nice!!

Thank you God for guidance and a little help from me

• 4 months later...
55 minutes ago, bill59 said:

I own a few condos in Clewiston on Lake Okeechobee. Easy access to both coasts. Great fishing!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Spent many happy evenings inside the lock gates  in Clewiston on the way from Ft Myers to the St Lucie inlet, remember one night a man came in at speed 60ft boat made a real mess of docking then proclaimed he had engine problem, I commented by the sides of his boat the engine problems had been there for many many months, maybe he needs a captain or lessons !