Issue with Pattaya Short Term Rentals

Just wondering if anyone else has had issues with short term rentals in Pattaya. I rented a 1 bedroom at the Centric Sea for 14 days but was somewhat intimidated by the signs (very large, right at the entrance, in the lobby and  in the elevators) that are posted on the property that state aggressive prosecution by immigration/police and all levels of Government against anyone staying there shorter than 30 days. I had already paid and thought it was most likely just because of problems with loud partying short term renters that had stayed in the past, but wondered whether other large upscale condos in Pattaya are doing the same. Possibly a lobby by the hotels to conserve their business but quite unnerving to show up and be confronted by all the signs. 

Search this forum for AirBNB for way more than you want to know about it.

Short version:  Hotels are pissed because of the illegal competition.   Tax collectors are pissed because most unregistered rooms don't pay any.  Many resident condo owners are pissed because the holiday partiers keep them up all hours. 

Kind of a perfect storm.

For your situation, be a good neighbor, don't flaunt your short term status, and 99% chance you won't have any problems.  Enjoy your holiday!

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Only the person offering the rentals can be punished for it not the person renting the accommodation.

Though it's not considered "punishment" I recall thinking how the guests must feel when they get booted because they inadvertently rented an illegal room.  Aside from the effort required to get a refund, there's the nuisance and expense of booking a last minute replacement room- and doing it in a big time bind with no wifi to boot.

Edited by impulse

8 minutes ago, bangkok101 said:

how to know ahead of time if they are "registered" and with whom they are registered?

If it is not called a hotel, guest house or etc then chances are it is not registered. Another clue would be if no taxes were shown on the breakdown of the charges.

Not sure exactly what office the registration is done at but is part of the local administrative offices within the interior ministry.

I know that I have stayed in places that were not registered but that was before the crack down on them. For example there are many apartments building that rent rooms on a daily based that are not registered. Last year I rented two rooms at a condo complex for a 4 day stay for a family holiday here online through a well known booking site.

Just thought I would post the sign, sorry it posts the way I took it but the size and the fact it was in 3 places was what was most intimidating. The notice in the elevator was in more detail but did say that the renters were not at fault and would not be pursued as much as the landlords. It seemed that most renters were Chinese here (as the Centric Sea heavily marketed to Chinese investors , touting it as a solid Investment/money launder opportunity, most likely ignoring to point out the no short term rental rule) so of course most were happily oblivious to it. Just my observation however, they may have contributed to the cause, showing up with the whole family in tow, staying 6 in a two person condo, travelling in packs, loud in the hallways, ignoring rules, contrary to the way the Condo juristic and any taken to the cleaners, now besieged, full time co owner would want it. I saw several "check ins" that became very obvious after a couple of days there , having ignorantly experienced one upon my "check in" just days earlier.  I just shrugged it off and like Impulse suggested, kept a low profile. 

@JDMCanuck, there is no need to get all racist over Chinese tourists and what a sourge they are regarding this, it is a general thing that has come to the forefront recently with the likes of AirBnB and an increase of illegal renting residential accomodation to short-stay customers.

The luxury Eastin Hotel in Chiang Mai was shut on the basis of this law, they apparently only had planning permission for a condo and did not actually have a hotel license.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30297224  

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/eastin-tan-hotel-charged-operating-without-license/

They have since re-opened but now have to operate on a minimum 30-day stay basis. So, yes, it seems that it is something that in the past was ignored but is now being taken more seriously.

It's not because of the Chinese.

Edited by blorg

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 9:05 PM, ubonjoe said:

There is a law that only a registered hotel and etc can rent rooms for less than 30 days. It had not been enforced before but local administration offices (not immigration) have started enforcing it. Only the person offering the rentals can be punished for it not the person renting the accommodation.

Lots stories in the news about it.

If the room was occupied for only 1-2 weeks a month to the same tenant who would know the difference?