Water heater breaker keeps switching off

happydays

Yes, it could be a defective breaker, but maybe, just maybe, the breaker is doing its job and protecting the heater and possibly the user from going up in smoke!  What I would do is put a meter with a current clamp on the wire to the heater and see exactly how much current is being drawn when the breaker trips.  I have the equipment to do it so I can do it easily.  But since the OP already admitted that he's a sparky NOT, he should hire someone to troubleshoot and resolve the problem!!

Is this something which has just started and everything has been OK in the past?

How many Watts is the heater?

How many Amps is the breaker?

Does the breaker have a "test" button? (is it an RCBO)

If you're not sure, post photos.

On 16/02/2017 at 5:02 AM, Crossy said:

Is this something which has just started and everything has been OK in the past?

How many Watts is the heater?

How many Amps is the breaker?

Does the breaker have a "test" button? (is it an RCBO)

If you're not sure, post photos.

Hi Crossy

Sorry for taking so long to reply, been looking for the heater user manual. It's a Siemans DH 0611, 6 kW & 32 A fuse protection. Not sure about the breaker so I've attached a photos.

It has been happening for a long time but only intermittently, not every time I use it.

Cheers

Breaker switches.JPG

Breaker box.JPG

Breaker 13 (hot water kitchen) is a 20A breaker. Too small for 6KW

Adding.. 32A would be ok if the wire size is  thick enough. What wire size do you have from breaker box to heater.?

Edited by ThaidDown

25 minutes ago, ThaidDown said:

Breaker 13 (hot water kitchen) is a 20A breaker. Too small for 6KW

Adding.. 32A would be ok if the wire size is  thick enough. What wire size do you have from breaker box to heater.?

No idea about the wire size I'm afraid. What size would it need to be for a 32 A breaker?

Yup ^^^ the installation instructions say 32A breaker and 4mm2 cable http://media3.bsh-group.com/Documents/9001155288_A.pdf

In truth if it's on 2.5mm2 it will be fine so long as it's not used for hours at a time.

What power is the oven (is it just an oven)? Most domestic ovens (no hob) would be fine on a 20A breaker. Swapping the last two breakers could be a quick (and very cheap) fix.

15 hours ago, Crossy said:

Yup ^^^ the installation instructions say 32A breaker and 4mm2 cable http://media3.bsh-group.com/Documents/9001155288_A.pdf

In truth if it's on 2.5mm2 it will be fine so long as it's not used for hours at a time.

What power is the oven (is it just an oven)? Most domestic ovens (no hob) would be fine on a 20A breaker. Swapping the last two breakers could be a quick (and very cheap) fix.

The water heater is only used for 15 minutes max so as long as the cable is at least 2.5mm then I can use a 32A breaker right?

Not sure about the power of the oven but I've run it at max temp for short periods & at low temp for 8 hours+ & the breaker has never gone off.

5 hours ago, happydays said:

The water heater is only used for 15 minutes max so as long as the cable is at least 2.5mm then I can use a 32A breaker right?

Not sure about the power of the oven but I've run it at max temp for short periods & at low temp for 8 hours+ & the breaker has never gone off.

Post a picture of the label on the back of the oven or read it and post the results.  It should have either kWh data or amps.