Marriage extension bank deposit

I first started getting these extensions when 200k Baht was required to sit in my bank.

The figure was raised to 400k and since then I have always done that but the other day a friend said

that as I first started with 200k that was all I needed to deposit. Apparently I had been grandfathered or something.

Anyone know if this is true?

Not correct. There was no grandfathering for those on extensions of stay based upon marriage.

Only those on extensions based upon retirement were grandfathered but it was dependent upon age and when the first extension was done..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thanyaburi Mac said:

The cutoff date for grandfathering extensions based on Retirement is 21 October 1998.

If your marriage extensions are prior to that date, I wonder if it'd be possible to change from Marriage to Retirement. As UJ said, there's also an age limit, must be 60 or more.

Mac

He would of needed to be on a retirement extension when the rules went into effect and of been on them continuously since then.

He would of also needed to be 60 then.

44 minutes ago, somo said:

Thanks for the info. Only 66 now.

Might be worth doing retirement extensions now in case they raise the requirements again anytime soon.

I think you're better off staying on a marriage extension as the money in the bank is always likely to be a lot less than for a retirement extension. And I think it will be many years before it gets anywhere near 800K.

I also think that when the next rise happens they will only apply the grandfathering to those that have renewed the retirement extension for several years prior to when the change happens.

If you're happy to tie up 800K instead of 400K then go for it, otherwise I personally wouldn't bother.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, elviajero said:

I think you're better off staying on a marriage extension as the money in the bank is always likely to be a lot less than for a retirement extension. And I think it will be many years before it gets anywhere near 800K.

I also think that when the next rise happens they will only apply the grandfathering to those that have renewed the retirement extension for several years prior to when the change happens.

If you're happy to tie up 800K instead of 400K then go for it, otherwise I personally wouldn't bother.

That is precisely my point. Maybe better to get in on the retirement extensions now rather than wait until the next rise happens.

1 hour ago, somo said:

That is precisely my point. Maybe better to get in on the retirement extensions now rather than wait until the next rise happens.

I understand your point but I think you are missing mine.

If the retirement requirement goes up from 800K any grandfathering would keep the requirement at 800K. IMO it is highly unlikely that the marriage extension would be increased above 800K at the same/next review. I can see the retirement requirement going up to 1m at some point in which case the marriage extension would, in theory, only go up to 500K. Meaning even with grandfathering you'd be better if renewing your extension on the basis of marriage.

As you are over 66 and married you have the choice both now and in the future, however, unless you want to tie up 800K now I don't see the point in you changing.

Edited by elviajero

13 hours ago, elviajero said:

I understand your point but I think you are missing mine.

If the retirement requirement goes up from 800K any grandfathering would keep the requirement at 800K. IMO it is highly unlikely that the marriage extension would be increased above 800K at the same/next review. I can see the retirement requirement going up to 1m at some point in which case the marriage extension would, in theory, only go up to 500K. Meaning even with grandfathering you'd be better if renewing your extension on the basis of marriage.

As you are over 66 and married you have the choice both now and in the future, however, unless you want to tie up 800K now I don't see the point in you changing.

Ok, Understood.

The other reason I am contemplating converting to a retirement extension is that I need to be back in the UK at precisely the time my current marriage extension finishes. This means that I would normally get a 'one month under consideration' extension which will expire while I am away.

The advice I've had here is that there is no way around this as even if I apply early the under consideration period will just be longer and immigration will not confirm the years extension until the current extension date of expiry.

Having said that I went into my local office ( the new one in Chayaphum) and the guy told me to come in a month earlier and he would get it approved in thirty days. Not sure if he can in fact do that or if it will need a donation of some kind to push it through so am in a quandary so to speak.

8 hours ago, somo said:

Ok, Understood.

The other reason I am contemplating converting to a retirement extension is that I need to be back in the UK at precisely the time my current marriage extension finishes. This means that I would normally get a 'one month under consideration' extension which will expire while I am away.

The advice I've had here is that there is no way around this as even if I apply early the under consideration period will just be longer and immigration will not confirm the years extension until the current extension date of expiry.

Having said that I went into my local office ( the new one in Chayaphum) and the guy told me to come in a month earlier and he would get it approved in thirty days. Not sure if he can in fact do that or if it will need a donation of some kind to push it through so am in a quandary so to speak.

Obviously switching to a retirement extension would solve the under consideration problem, however, you do have options if you want to stay on an extension based on your marriage.

1. You could apply for (as long as you haven't had one since your last entry) a 60 day extension (no financials needed) that would be granted the day you apply. At the same time get a single entry re-entry permit (1,000 baht). When you return you'll be stamped in for the remainder of the 60 days. At the end of the 60 days you can apply for the 1 year extension (marriage).
  2. You could leave and let the current extension end. Whilst in the U.K. you can easily get (by post is an option) an Non Immigrant 'O' visa. You only need a copy of your wife's ID, house book and a copy of your marriage certificate (no financials). When you return you'll be given permission to stay for 90 days and can apply for the 1 year extension (marriage) again within the last 30 (maybe 45) days of the 90.

Extension renewals are effectively new applications so there would, in your current situation, be no disadvantage in taking option 2.

Switching to a retirement extension has the advantage of less paperwork and instant approval, but the disadvantage of having to show 800K (if not using any income) in the bank for 3 months rather than 400K for 2 months.

16 hours ago, elviajero said:

Obviously switching to a retirement extension would solve the under consideration problem, however, you do have options if you want to stay on an extension based on your marriage.

1. You could apply for (as long as you haven't had one since your last entry) a 60 day extension (no financials needed) that would be granted the day you apply. At the same time get a single entry re-entry permit (1,000 baht). When you return you'll be stamped in for the remainder of the 60 days. At the end of the 60 days you can apply for the 1 year extension (marriage).
  2. You could leave and let the current extension end. Whilst in the U.K. you can easily get (by post is an option) an Non Immigrant 'O' visa. You only need a copy of your wife's ID, house book and a copy of your marriage certificate (no financials). When you return you'll be given permission to stay for 90 days and can apply for the 1 year extension (marriage) again within the last 30 (maybe 45) days of the 90.

Extension renewals are effectively new applications so there would, in your current situation, be no disadvantage in taking option 2.

Switching to a retirement extension has the advantage of less paperwork and instant approval, but the disadvantage of having to show 800K (if not using any income) in the bank for 3 months rather than 400K for 2 months.

That's great info, thank you.

Option 1 looks good. Can you tell me precisely what I would need when applying for a 60 day extension.

28 minutes ago, somo said:

Option 1 looks good. Can you tell me precisely what I would need when applying for a 60 day extension.

Your wife will need to be with you.

Your marriage certificate plus a copy, copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card.

Proof of residence unless living where your wife's house book is for.