Thai phrase or idiom...

1FinickyOne

wiki has a list of them---I remember doing some when I struggled trying to learn some Thai.

Eng..When pigs can fly----=  Thai...When the 7 11 closes

there's a lot of them....and a lot are quite base-- I mean off colour -- Eng-=something is better than nothing”.  กำขี้ดีกว่ากำตด ..............“A handful of shit is better than a handful of fart”.

There is a lot of idioms about sex... For a guy that finishes much sooner than expected “the sparrow didn’t even have a chance to drink water” นกกระจอกไม่ทันกินน้

Old men like young girls == Old cow likes to eat fresh grass   วัวแก่เคี้ยวหญ้าอ่อน

Google...sure your find what you look for------

แอบชอบ/ปิ๊ง/แอบปิ๊ง
eg I've a crush on you/him/her - เราแอบปิ๊งเค้า
ฯลฯ

Do you have any idea how ปิ้ง (toast) can be substituted for ชอบ ​​(like)?
Could this be an attempt at 'crush'? If you lean on someone อิง พิง you would could crush them, squeeze is the sexual word, and to do it without anybody seeing would be แอบอิง .
Since crush is a noun here maybe when making a new noun from a verb, mispelling is an advantage but many people will see ปิ้ง there.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

2 hours ago, tgeezer said:

Do you have any idea how ปิ้ง (toast) can be substituted for ชอบ (like)?

It is "ปิ๊ง", with the third intonation mark "๊".  The word ปิ้ง you referred to has the second mark."้". Very close, but they are actually different words.  ปิ๊ง has a meaning that is similar to "sparks" here.  

Another word that is used to indicate having a crush is ปลื้ม, which means to admire in this context.  The word basically means "to be pleased".

3 hours ago, tgeezer said:

Do you have any idea how ปิ้ง (toast) can be substituted for ชอบ (like)?
Could this be an attempt at 'crush'? If you lean on someone อิง พิง you would could crush them, squeeze is the sexual word, and to do it without anybody seeing would be แอบอิง .
Since crush is a noun here maybe when making a new noun from a verb, mispelling is an advantage but many people will see ปิ้ง there.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

56 minutes ago, BayLay said:

It is "ปิ๊ง", with the third intonation mark "๊".  The word ปิ้ง you referred to has the second mark."้". Very close, but they are actually different words.  ปิ๊ง has a meaning that is similar to "sparks" here.  

Another word that is used to indicate having a crush is ปลื้ม, which means to admire in this context.  The word basically means "to be pleased".

Thank you for replies -  Tgeez it need not have the word crush... just trying to convey the general meaning of sort of a secret yearning for someone... 

Baylay - that looks interesting... would that be transliterated Bplim with a rising tone? And would it be used independently or combined with Bping, the word that sounds like toast... 

4 hours ago, kenk24 said:

Baylay - that looks interesting... would that be transliterated Bplim with a rising tone? And would it be used independently or combined with Bping, the word that sounds like toast... 

It is a longer sound than -im.  Probably more like "bpleum".  Think of "ยืม" but different tone.  Try the link below.

http://www.wordhippo.com/what-is/how-do-you-pronounce-the/thai-word-839e2b4f3ef3d0c8656df47cdbcaa16a4dcb76e7.html

Note that a lot of times, you can emphasize the feeling by lengthening the word - the longer, the stronger the feeling.  Think how people say "Sooooo good!".

ปลื้ม

ปลื้มมมมม. (Longer sound) = ปลื้มมาก

And it is not normally used with ปิ๊ง.  (Though language is a living thing, so some people may mix them for effect.)

Often, it is used with "แอบ".   ผมแอบปลื้มคุณมานานแล้วครับ. =I have had a crush on you for the longest time. OR  I am your secret admirer.  (Not literal translation.)

It is just a more playful way to announce interest in someone.