What price to put on bike?

norwaygeir

After 7 years I'm going to sell my bike (reason for sell is baby and no time to ride when on hollyday). So much change the last 4 years on big bikes in Los, so I don't know what price to put on it. It's a vf750c magna, year 95, good original paint, around 22000 I'm,  green book, tax and insured. Whant a quick sale, but don't want to give it away. Bangkok. Any other place to put ads than Thai visa and bahtsold?

Thanks

10 minutes ago, Rdrokit said:

I would think 120,000 baht is a good asking price as it has a green book. Besides ThaiVisa and bahtsold. You can use Craiglist and Thai Scooter.

http://bangkok.craigslist.co.th/search/mcy

http://www.thaiscooter.com/forums/

Thanks. I'll put it out at 110000 and hope for the best. Never tried Craigslist, is it recommends all?

Well if you are serious about selling it then don't start with the ridiculous prices that people here on TV are posting in the classifieds.

If you have a Green Book then OK, you will be able to get more than those who don't.

Why not take a look at 2nd hand prices on Kaidee and see what Thais are flogging them for, but even there they are rather over enthusiastic.

Take a look here -  http://www.kaidee.com/c12-motorcycle-motorcycle/

Even a brand new bike once it has been paid for even without 1km on the clock is second hand, so you are going to lose at least 25% of the new price the minute you leave the dealers.

After that it has to come down to mileage, service, age and desirability.

Me, I would expect a bike to lose another 25% per year with an average mileage, and an additional drop if it is difficult to get spares or looks thrashed.

Their are a lot of clowns advertising on TV Classifieds, they should give you a clue, you will see their overpriced bikes listed for free for 30 days and then relisted again for another 30 as they never sold them.

Not sure if it is actually you, but someone was posting a VFR 750 last month on TV Classifieds, so if it was you, here is another piece of good advice, REPLY TO E MAILS! that always helps, (If it wasn't you then no worries - My mistake - I made some enquiries to the gut but as usual he never replied)

I am fed up of reading shit like "Farang Owned" "Never Dropped" "Have To Leave Thailand" "Urgent Sale" Bought for 300,000, yours for only 290,000!!!!! They are jokers.

If the bike cost you 300K 5 years ago, you are looking at less than half of that today, probably one third, and if it is a shit bike that costs an arm and a leg to service and is not easy to get parts for like Ducati (which are just fit for a junkyard) then you will be lucky to even sell it no matter what the price.

In the past I have inquired about maybe 6 bikes, be lucky if two people even bothered to reply!

Good luck, hope you sell it.

(one more thing, don't post it like another idiot here (CBR500 for 55K) hoping to get people to think it is a bargain when in fact they are flogging a dead horse trying to rope people in on finance - it won't work with many people and personally, it pisses me off as it is a misleading advert. (The actual price is over 165K - 30 months at 3681 Baht + the 55k - annoying stupid retards! The guy cannot even post the correct model, it is listed as a "CBR 500RR  VERYGOOD CONDITION - ) Take a look on how not to advertise your bike - http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/ad/MWTRQUKH/cbr-500rr-verygood-condition-55000 (It looks like it some crap dealer)

Edited by Formaleins

7 hours ago, Rdrokit said:

I would think 120,000 baht is a good asking price as it has a green book. Besides ThaiVisa and bahtsold. You can use Craiglist and Thai Scooter.

http://bangkok.craigslist.co.th/search/mcy

http://www.thaiscooter.com/forums/

I would be interested to know how a '95 VF 750 actually had a legit. Green Book, are you sure it isn't some sort of reprocessed grey import with a different chassis or engine number from the actual bike?

If it is, then it is worth nothing more than spares or repairs.

Edited by Formaleins

27 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

I would be interested to know how a '95 VF 750 actually had a legit. Green Book, are you sure it isn't some sort of reprocessed grey import with a different chassis or engine number from the actual bike?

Don't quote me. The OP said it had a green book. Only going by that.

I sold a bike last October. A Kawasaki Ninja 300, quite a popular & desirable bike, I thought - 2 1/2 years old, very low mileage, excellent condition, that sort of thing.

Other ads. I looked at before posting it for sale had similar bikes with much greater mileage with an asking price of 125,000 - 145,000 or more. I originally put it up at 135,000 on TV Classifieds, Bahtsold, Craigslist, Farangmart, Khon Kaen Forum, Udonmap & Kaidee.

The complete absence of replies after almost a month made it obvious that it wouldn't sell at that price and there was no way I wanted to keep it hoping for my asking price to be offered - I just wanted to move it on as it wasn't getting any use at all. I dropped the price to 125,000 and got some replies ranging from 95,000 to 105,000 - in fact, I got 3 offers at 105,000 from a Thai bloke and two foreigners. I replied to every enquiry.

It was sold for 105,000 - about 55% of the new price. I was happy with that but, of course, disappointed not to have got more. But it was a valuable lesson, if I ever sell a bike in the future, to price sensibly. Anything you sell is only worth what somebody's willing to pay. I think there's a lot in some of what Formaleins says above.

IMO, many advertisers ask wildly optimistic prices initially and, as has been said, you see them advertised for months & months on end having failed to sell and the price hasn't been dropped in that time. It'd be really useful if actual selling price was posted in an ad. after sale because I'm sure there'd be a big difference. In fact, one of the selling sites (Bahtsold, I think) did ask for the actual selling price, which I provided. 

1 hour ago, MartinL said:

I sold a bike last October. A Kawasaki Ninja 300, quite a popular & desirable bike, I thought - 2 1/2 years old, very low mileage, excellent condition, that sort of thing.

Other ads. I looked at before posting it for sale had similar bikes with much greater mileage with an asking price of 125,000 - 145,000 or more. I originally put it up at 135,000 on TV Classifieds, Bahtsold, Craigslist, Farangmart, Khon Kaen Forum, Udonmap & Kaidee.

The complete absence of replies after almost a month made it obvious that it wouldn't sell at that price and there was no way I wanted to keep it hoping for my asking price to be offered - I just wanted to move it on as it wasn't getting any use at all. I dropped the price to 125,000 and got some replies ranging from 95,000 to 105,000 - in fact, I got 3 offers at 105,000 from a Thai bloke and two foreigners. I replied to every enquiry.

It was sold for 105,000 - about 55% of the new price. I was happy with that but, of course, disappointed not to have got more. But it was a valuable lesson, if I ever sell a bike in the future, to price sensibly. Anything you sell is only worth what somebody's willing to pay. I think there's a lot in some of what Formaleins says above.

IMO, many advertisers ask wildly optimistic prices initially and, as has been said, you see them advertised for months & months on end having failed to sell and the price hasn't been dropped in that time. It'd be really useful if actual selling price was posted in an ad. after sale because I'm sure there'd be a big difference. In fact, one of the selling sites (Bahtsold, I think) did ask for the actual selling price, which I provided. 

I appreciate your honest response. When I first cam here I was looking for a car. The secondhand prices back in 2000 were crazy, they were about a 10% drop from a new car and this was consistent on cars ranging from a month old to 3 years old.

Things started getting a bit more reasonable in the mid to late 2000's, especially when the oil prices plummeted. The problem is, there seems to be a lot of foreigners here that think their bikes and cars are made of gold! They are not, the minute you buy them you loose all the taxes purchase or VAT that were attached at the time of buying.

Go and look at the second hand market in the UK on something like Autotrader - you can buy a 3 year old Mercedes that sold for 40 Grand 3 years ago for 10% of the price. Thailand still thinks that their second hand cars are worth more than any one elses, sadly it is not the case, it is only due to archaic import charges that they command the prices they do. If everyone votes with their feet, we will all end up getting value for money, stop buying overpriced shit!

That 750VFR is probably worth 110-130K, so pay what is market value, not over inflated shit that the Thais and some stupid foreigners here "Believe" it is worth. At the end of the day if it is overpriced it will not sell.

Personally, I take my hat off to the OP that wants to sell his bike, he seems a sensible guy and not a rose tinted spectacle fool that many foreigners here become.

Price it sensibly, like you would back home, it is NOT an asset, it is a depreciation, the longer you keep it the less it is worth. So many people here think what they own is some sort of rare treasure, especially the fools with the INVOICE bikes - those things are worth nothing, soon you won't be able to give them away, they are a noose around your dumb necks, no one will buy them anymore, big bikes are now legal in Thailand!

2 hours ago, Formaleins said:

The book is legit. IIve had the bikes 7 years, before a finnish guy had it for 4-5 years, and before him a thai had it. The tax, insurance and inspection where done lasr week with out problem. It was not me that had any ads, and it's a magna, not a vfr (cruser bike with vfr engine I think). Putting the ads at 110 and hope for the best (don't lose much money because of strong thai baht). Thanks for all help 

20170220_144619.jpg

10 hours ago, Formaleins said:

Well if you are serious about selling it then don't start with the ridiculous prices that people here on TV are posting in the classifieds.

If you have a Green Book then OK, you will be able to get more than those who don't.

Why not take a look at 2nd hand prices on Kaidee and see what Thais are flogging them for, but even there they are rather over enthusiastic.

Take a look here -  http://www.kaidee.com/c12-motorcycle-motorcycle/

Even a brand new bike once it has been paid for even without 1km on the clock is second hand, so you are going to lose at least 25% of the new price the minute you leave the dealers.

After that it has to come down to mileage, service, age and desirability.

Me, I would expect a bike to lose another 25% per year with an average mileage, and an additional drop if it is difficult to get spares or looks thrashed.

Their are a lot of clowns advertising on TV Classifieds, they should give you a clue, you will see their overpriced bikes listed for free for 30 days and then relisted again for another 30 as they never sold them.

Not sure if it is actually you, but someone was posting a VFR 750 last month on TV Classifieds, so if it was you, here is another piece of good advice, REPLY TO E MAILS! that always helps, (If it wasn't you then no worries - My mistake - I made some enquiries to the gut but as usual he never replied)

I am fed up of reading shit like "Farang Owned" "Never Dropped" "Have To Leave Thailand" "Urgent Sale" Bought for 300,000, yours for only 290,000!!!!! They are jokers.

If the bike cost you 300K 5 years ago, you are looking at less than half of that today, probably one third, and if it is a shit bike that costs an arm and a leg to service and is not easy to get parts for like Ducati (which are just fit for a junkyard) then you will be lucky to even sell it no matter what the price.

In the past I have inquired about maybe 6 bikes, be lucky if two people even bothered to reply!

Good luck, hope you sell it.

(one more thing, don't post it like another idiot here (CBR500 for 55K) hoping to get people to think it is a bargain when in fact they are flogging a dead horse trying to rope people in on finance - it won't work with many people and personally, it pisses me off as it is a misleading advert. (The actual price is over 165K - 30 months at 3681 Baht + the 55k - annoying stupid retards! The guy cannot even post the correct model, it is listed as a "CBR 500RR  VERYGOOD CONDITION - ) Take a look on how not to advertise your bike - http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/ad/MWTRQUKH/cbr-500rr-verygood-condition-55000 (It looks like it some crap dealer)

On the other end are guys like you who low ball hoping to find a bigger sucker than the last guy you suckered. I've bought and sold small and big bikes and if I listened to you, I would have gotten much less than I did. You may have gotten someone to accept your low ball offers but that's probably why people don't answer your emails. Your figures don't line up with market rates. Of course you'll "beg to differ."

I would never answer your emails either. 

• 1 month later...

Bike prices are worth what people are prepared to pay.  Comparing the UK makes no difference.  Gas, electric, council tax and fuel!  Personally, I prefer cheaper electric and house prices.  Kind of balances itself out regardless of overpriced cars.

I just got 450,000 bht for my 8 year old CRV.  10,000+ UK pound.  

Edited by BBJ

If I was the OP, I would sell the 1985 Honda Magma (VF750C) as classic motorcycle. While the motorcycle is 32 years old, parts are still available, the engine is rock solid and with some elbow crease you could have yourself a real classic motorcycle in superb state.

Special bonus is that it has registration papers and greenbook, if they are original, I would recommend that you sell it not that cheap….