Update On Finding A Podiatrist In Pattaya

tropo

A while ago I posted a message in the hope of finding a podiatrist somewhere in Pattaya to take care of some ingrown toenails.

It was mentioned by a few members that podiatrists do not exist in Thailand. It turned out this is accurate as I went down to PIH to inquire, and they had no idea what a podiatrist is.

I have a bad big toe as a result of it being butchered by a "pedicurist" late October and decided I'd like to have it permanently taken care of through nailbed ablation surgery.

Last weekend I decided to see a GP at PIH hospital. This doctor upon seeing my toe suggested that I take antibiotics because it is infected. The infection is extremely minor due to nail irritation and I explained to him that it is of no use to take antibiotics as long as the nail is growing into the skin and that the nail needs to be cut out first.

He conceded this and made an appointment with a general surgeon who maybe could take care of it.

I was with this doctor for a total of 5 minutes and the bill was 500 baht. I had been to PIH many times previously and never has a GP asked for 500 baht. I complained to the duty staff and they explained that it was a weekend and the doctor was not one of their regular GPs.

I didn't keep the appointment with the surgeon as I was concerned about the costs and whether or not the surgeons here are capable of taking care of toenails. As it happened I tried another pedicurist who has done a good job.

A while ago I posted a message in the hope of finding a podiatrist somewhere in Pattaya to take care of some ingrown toenails.

It was mentioned by a few members that podiatrists do not exist in Thailand. It turned out this is accurate as I went down to PIH to inquire, and they had no idea what a podiatrist is.

I have a bad big toe as a result of it being butchered by a "pedicurist" late October and decided I'd like to have it permanently taken care of through nailbed ablation surgery.

Last weekend I decided to see a GP at PIH hospital. This doctor upon seeing my toe suggested that I take antibiotics because it is infected. The infection is extremely minor due to nail irritation and I explained to him that it is of no use to take antibiotics as long as the nail is growing into the skin and that the nail needs to be cut out first.

He conceded this and made an appointment with a general surgeon who maybe could take care of it.

I was with this doctor for a total of 5 minutes and the bill was 500 baht. I had been to PIH many times previously and never has a GP asked for 500 baht. I complained to the duty staff and they explained that it was a weekend and the doctor was not one of their regular GPs.

I didn't keep the appointment with the surgeon as I was concerned about the costs and whether or not the surgeons here are capable of taking care of toenails. As it happened I tried another pedicurist who has done a good job.

"butchered by a "pedicurist" Here, lies the problem.

Whilst it seems to be confirmed that there are no podiatrists in Thailand there are plenty of females calling themselves "pedicurists" and they don't know shyt about cutting toe nails.

They do inestimable damage to ones feet. :o

Edited by john b good

Dr. Sudlah, Emergency Room at Bumrungrad, did a very good job for me in July.

His fee was B3,000. Emergency Room Service was B200. Injections, blade, sutures, gloves, etc. etc. was B805.

Alternatively, you could consult Dr. Somchai at PIH. But he is only there on Monday mornings.

I think we won't see podiatrists in Thailand until all the teenagers who started wearing high heels about 30 years ago begin to complain of bunions and other foot problems.

Good luck!

Whilst it seems to be confirmed that there are no podiatrists in Thailand there are plenty of females calling themselves "pedicurists" and they don't know shyt about cutting toe nails.

Never allow the foot massage people to use that little brown stick. If it slips it can do bad damage - I couldn't walk properly for 3 months!

Never allow the foot massage people to use that little brown stick. If it slips it can do bad damage - I couldn't walk properly for 3 months!

His fee was B3,000. Emergency Room Service was B200. Injections, blade, sutures, gloves, etc. etc. was B805.

Alternatively, you could consult Dr. Somchai at PIH. But he is only there on Monday mornings.

I think we won't see podiatrists in Thailand until all the teenagers who started wearing high heels about 30 years ago begin to complain of bunions and other foot problems.

Good luck!

Finally, a recommendation. Thank you Tammi, I've already noted them down and will contact one or the other. I live in Pattaya, so the PIH surgeon would be more convenient.

As I've said before, I'm amazed there are no podiatrists in Thailand. (Amazing Thailand, indeed)

Someone has recommended that I see an "orthopedic surgeon" for foot-related problems, and that is now on my "to do" list. I have a non-life threatening problem with the bones and tendons in my foot that have irritated/bothered me for some time. After I see an orthopedic surgeon, I will post a recommendation, if applicable.

With the sponsored marathons, with the number of elderly folks, with the dangerous sidewalks/footpaths, with all the botched pedicures, I think a podiatrist could make lots of money here.

Good luck!

Finally, a recommendation. Thank you Tammi, I've already noted them down and will contact one or the other. I live in Pattaya, so the PIH surgeon would be more convenient.

Woops!! The doctor to see at PIH is Dr. Chanchai NOT Somchai.

So I guess it's true--feet are the lowliest part of the body in Thailand!

You must be right, the GP didn't have a clue what to do. He grabbed my foot like it was a block of wood...it was weird.

I suspect that with their light bodyweight, Thai's feet hold up better than those of foreigners who often weigh twice as much, and more.