Thailand Is Soaked In Estrogen.

jamman

The E channel has some funny stuff. Western culture is doing good. Irony, surprising twists of logic, emotional nuance, human empathy and schadenfreude mixed, biographies embedded in the times and at the same time looked at from our more informed moment, varied sexual attitudes, a tempo that sings after only one cup o beans, all on a womens gossip show. Go west go.

I love the hundreds year old Kecak dance they do in Bali. But Spongebob or the Fairly Odd Parents or The Powder Puff Girls are riding the Muse more adeptly now. Take something known and put it with a different something known, in a new way, to create a new thing that was never known. A ha. Ha ha.

Back in my day we had Monty Python and SCTV. Maud, All in the Family, M*A*S*H. New ground was searched for.

Today, new ground is being gobbled up as fast our cities expand. Interesting and witty and stupidly funny stuff on many channels at once. Cooking channels showcase characters that engage with a most human panache. Ed is so much more human and earthy and real and interesting and funny than Seinfeld. House and Monk can hold their heads up beside the Sparrow, who we kept our eyes on, when the going got narrow.

And the SE Asia parallel is?

Thailand breaks ground with ladyboys on stage. Indonesia has put scarves covering the hair on pictures women on shampoo bottles, while at the same time after hours on TV it pounces on new ground by showing a promiscuous club and sex scene that the young and hip crowd embrace, and puts a positive and liberal spin on it. Asian commercials are pretty good. But compare innovation, SE against west, (not including Japan or China or India) and we are 80 years apart, with the west on different level than it was even 10 years ago.

I say the same thing I say. Thai pop stars have fat estrogen soaked cheeks, big eyes, and pleasing mild voices. They are girls in pants. Where is the Jimmy Rockford in Thai TV? They are all momma’s boys, concerned, so concerned, that they not dare elope, not dare write a new musical style, not dare to not fit in. Their ego is enmeshed into Momma. Thailand is estrogen country. The muse may be a woman, but she ain’t Momma.

Edited by jamman