is it possible to show up at the french consulate without appointment?

applying for schengen visa for france for my wife, i'm a uk citizen, she already has a uk tourist visa

i read this

TLScontact procedure is not compulsory, applicants can also go directly to the Embassy’s Visa Sector to submit their application in person. Applicants must set Embassy appointments through our call center: +66 (0)2696 3888. Submission time at the French Embassy, Monday morning only

so i called and they said first appointment is april 10, but i'll be in bkk next monday. i wonder what would happen if you showed up at the embassy without appointment. do you think they would let you in? anyone tried?

thanks, steve

Edited by steve2112

What a strange calendar those French have! They are obligated to give an appointment within 2 weeks of the request, and in my world April is not within that limit... 

Getting access turning up at the gate most likely won't get you anywhere but you may get to come by within 2 weeks by pointing that rule out to them *see Schengen sticky). 

You may wish to inform Eu home affairs ( JUST-CITIZENSHIP {at} ec.europa.eu ) about the French having instructions in violation of the Schengen visa regulations.

Many Consulates make it as difficult as possible for applicants to take advantage of the apply direct rule, and the French are up there with them, so I doubt if your wife would be allowed in.

Whilst Member Sates are supposed to make the process as easy and quick as possible, most don't, and prefer you to pay to use their contracted out application centres.

Given that your wife is the applicant and it's more than likely that only she would be allowed in to the Visa Sectors Office, I wonder why it's so important that she applies when you're visiting Bangkok, unless time is of the essence.

I tried going there to apply for new passport. It is like entering a prison facility, with a mean-looking female security officer yelling at everybody and treating you like shit. Then the line was long, and after some time, I arrived in front of the person in charge who asked me if I had an appointment. I said no, last time I was here years ago, I didn't need an appointment. He said, oh now you need an appointment, you must go online on our website and apply for appointment. I had come from Hua-Hin, so yeah... thank you very much. Waste of time. Then back home, I went online to make this appointment. You must select the day that you wish, and believe it or not, but the first date available was MORE THAN 1 MONTH LATER !!! This is absolutely ridiculous, don't tell me that there are millions and millions of french people flooding the consulate everyday... 

I had one case of emergency 5 years ago.
My Gf had already her visa but myself hadn't yet and it wasn't sure if we could take him with us to France.
So I emailed the embassy, and explained my case.
Fortunately someone very nice gave me an appointment 2 days later and said to come back the next day.
I got the visa as promised.
So, can work sometimes, but you have to contact them first.
I fear showing up without appointment nor warning will trigger more anger than help.
Good luck

The Danish Embassy tried to insist that I had flight tickets before they would give me an appointment. They relented quickly after an email with the help of Donutz and after that it was a positive experience. And free and the visa was completed while we waited.

Edited by rasg

5 hours ago, steve187 said:

'' Applicants must set Embassy appointments through our call center: ''

Yes, and it is an embassy, not a consulate that most in this thread refer to. I doubt the French have a consulate in Thailand. If it did, quite often a country's consulate, which would be located outside the capital city, turns out to be easier to deal with than the embassy.

17 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Yes, and it is an embassy, not a consulate that most in this thread refer to. I doubt the French have a consulate in Thailand. If it did, quite often a country's consulate, which would be located outside the capital city, turns out to be easier to deal with than the embassy.

There appears to be a French consulate at Phuket plus consulates at Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai and Koh Samui if this link is to be believed:-

https://www.embassypages.com/missions/embassy13059/

AFAIK only the embassies in BKK  handle visas and no (honourary) consulate will accept, process or forward visa applications. Though VLS (vfs, tls etc) are optional and a mail or telephone call directly to the embassy to get an appointment within 2 weeks must be made possible. That is if the embassy abides the common Schengen visa rules.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/fr/TXT/?uri=celex:32009R0810

See Article 9 and 17. Sticky explains this further with citations from the EU handbook for embassy staff.

Edited by Donutz