Subect for debate.

Why does Thailand not accept that impoverished foreigners should live in Thailand? There are cases of farang being seen as wealthy by Thai families and worthy husbands for their daughters but the Thai government demands more wealth than they need to live in Thailand. However the authorities do allow them to live in Thailand by allowing them to do border runs. When people age, border runs become too difficult to do, should provision be made for them to stay officially?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

They shouldn't come here.  They should stay in their own county, ideally one with social services and family support. 

Otherwise, there are official provisions to stay in Thailand for extended periods of time if a person can meet the requirements.   Those who can not meet them should refer back to the first sentence above ^. 

Edited by 55Jay

it would seem that the thai system, with stringent immigration entry and stay rules, that foreigners money is most welcome, but thats where the welcome ends. What else explains it? Money talks in Thailand, always has and always will. 17% GDP derived from tourism is way outside the normal bel curve for most countries GDP, so get your 30 day visa at the airport, spend all your money on sex trade, corrupt tourist venues, dirty beaches controlled by violent mafiosa, sinking boats, highway death traps, scam after scam after scam, as soon as you step off the plane...it never ends, and now, after 30 days of milking you, time to get out...leave thailand, or run back forth all over the place crossing borders to get another visa.

In summation: thailand don't want the impoverished to enter as they have NO money to fuel the corrupt system. Its plain and obvious to see by thailand's everyday actions in this regard.

2 hours ago, Evilbaz said:

Ever tried to live on social services in your home country (excepting Scandanavia) Ha Ha Jay?

No, I haven't, but plenty do. Some even make a career out of it.

Have you ever tried to live on social services here in Thailand?  Therein lies the point.  But you knew that already.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bangkok101 said:

it would seem that the thai system, with stringent immigration entry and stay rules...

The entry requirements are almost non existent. As for the stay rules...

How's about comparing them with an expat trying to get his Thai wife permission to stay in the UK.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, blackcab said:

The entry requirements are almost non existent. As for the stay rules...

How's about comparing them with an expat trying to get his Thai wife permission to stay in the UK.

it really depends on the background of a thai when seeking visa for western countries, these countries trying to prevent "refugee" claims by anyone from disadvantaged countries such as thailand.

46 minutes ago, bangkok101 said:

it really depends on the background of a thai when seeking visa for western countries, these countries trying to prevent "refugee" claims by anyone from disadvantaged countries such as thailand.

I mentioned the UK because it's somewhere I know the rules. It's not a matter of background at all. It's a matter of meeting the financial requirements. If you can't show adequate income or savings then the visa won't be issued. This is in addition to having to pass a basic English language test. Can you imagine if all spouses had to speak basic Thai before a marriage visa/extension of stay was issued?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, blackcab said:

I mentioned the UK because it's somewhere I know the rules. It's not a matter of background at all. It's a matter of meeting the financial requirements. If you can't show adequate income or savings then the visa won't be issued. This is in addition to having to pass a basic English language test. Can you imagine if all spouses had to speak basic Thai before a marriage visa/extension of stay was issued?

education: that's why they expect visa applicants to speak English, but the litmus test is "if you can prove you will return to thailand before the visa expires", coupled with stable employment history, good moral standards, own property, a business, generally have compelling reasons to return and not run amok in the UK social assistance programs. For the right lady, visa is not a problem.

I think ed visa applicants need to perform some rudimentary thai language ability.

The problem is that the rules are fine when applied for a short term stay.

But fail to account for concepts like family and home. If you make your home with a family here the government needs to show it values the notion of family.  Applying rules designed for what are effectively long tourists to a thai-foreign family unit fails spectaculary and is in urgent need of a rethink. 

And giving Thailands increasinly aging population families are needed.

When families thrive in a secure environment, the country will thrive more. 

• Like 1

The problem is that the rules are fine when applied for a short term stay.

But fail to account for concepts like family and home. If you make your home with a family here the government needs to show it values the notion of family.  Applying rules designed for what are effectively long tourists to a thai-foreign family unit fails spectaculary and is in urgent need of a rethink. 

And giving Thailands increasinly aging population families are needed.

When families thrive in a secure environment, the country will thrive more. 

Exactly. However Thailand obviously has yet no interest for an integration policy and possibly still see "aliens" as threat for the Thai society particular by bringing destructive western thinking and values into the traditional Thai contexts.

1 hour ago, blackcab said:

Can you imagine if all spouses had to speak basic Thai before a marriage visa/extension of stay was issued?

That one had me laughing!  Can you imagine if they announced such a rule?  Oh, the hand-wringing, whining, moaning.  Thai isn't easy to speak, so I cannot say I'd blame them.  But then, English has more inconsistencies / exceptions-to-rules than I care to count.

As to the OP's statement about "border-runs" - not any more.  Not for years, easily - but nowadays, that strategy will not work for long at all.  Yes, you can do runs for visas, but no one "impoverished" could live here and pull that off for long. 

But I guess the real question is, what is "impoverished" in monthly-income (in Thai Baht)??  If married (the "worthy spouse" example), you only need to show 40K/mo income - which is well below poverty in most Western countries - and just 1900 Baht/yr to keep it going.  The low cost of living is why many (myself included) live here.  One could live up-country for less, but only if the wife has a job there - otherwise add in her expenses (including family support), and you are in the hole.

1 hour ago, wobalt said:

Exactly. However Thailand obviously has yet no interest for an integration policy and possibly still see "aliens" as threat for the Thai society particular by bringing destructive western thinking and values into the traditional Thai contexts.

Destructive western thinking.... so we'll let them all work as English teachers. That'll stop em spreading their gosspal of westernization.

I don't think they see aliens as a threat.  I just think that as no one is kicking up a fuss they assume it is all fine. 

What I was thinking about was that people have been allowed to make a life in Thailand unofficially and fall foul of the law when no longer physically able to do border runs. When someone on retirement is too infirm to go to Immigration I expect that they will find a way to do the extension, perhaps the same should be done for unofficial long stayers since officialdom has allowed the situation to develop.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect